News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tranmission cross members- have pictures?

Started by cboss70, April 01, 2020, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I have a number of mustang variations from 65-70 and over the winter I got a little ahead of myself removing and cleaning parts. I now have a bunch of cross members that I can't remember which car they go to! The 65/66 and later c6 versions are easy but I'm not sure how to identify visually the 67 through 70 versions between big block and small.  The parts I have are old originals and I could NOT find legible stampings on them where I would go by marking or part numbers. Maybe its the 67/68 don't have oblong slots in the center (round holes) and the big blocks are taller and beefier? The 69/70 had oblong slots in the center but were all the same regardless of model?

I'm hoping someone would be willing to post a picture of each side by side so I can figure this out. Specifically I want to verify which one is my 67 Shelby GT500 version, my 1968 GT302, my 69 GT350 and my 70 Boss 302.   I'm aware it wasn't the brightest thing to do and mix parts and that extends to my ability to post pictures here or I would try that.  If someone has examples they can post great if not maybe I can line up what I have take a picture and email it directly to someone who would be willing to post it in this thread  :)  Thanks for your guidance.

The Going Thing

1967 C4/ 4 speed small block and 390/428 FE 4 speed comparison.

cboss70

Thanks for the pictures! So the last two of the silver one with the shorter bolt hole slots in the middle is the small block version and the unrestored one in the second picture that has the longer slots is the 390/428 4spd version and is the bigger one in the first picture correct?

Special Ed

390 428 are taller  thicker heavier than the 289 302s

The Going Thing

They are taller, but don't seem to be any thicker. They are also stamped with 390. The 69/70 version has an elongated slot and also has 390/250 STD stamped on them.