Author Topic: Discovery Channel 'Driven'  (Read 2009 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Discovery Channel 'Driven'
« on: March 26, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »
https://www.discovery.com/shows/driven

Does anyone know much about this new series 'Driven' that will be premiering next Monday, March 30th on the Discovery Channel?  It's basically a big advertisement for Galpin Autos, the mega dealer out of California.

https://www.galpin.com

First episoide they will be restoring Shelby's prototype Pantera.  Hype?

Side note:  So if anyone thought the economy was being affected by this latest situation, the price of Ford GT's at Galpin sure don't seem to reflect this:

https://www.galpin.com/inventory/ford-gt-specials/

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Discovery Channel 'Driven'
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
I received a press release on that last week.  Yes, a nice promo for Galpin.  I'd think they had to put up $$$ to make it happen.  No one does anything for free in that business.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
When you have BEAU S  money you don't worry too much about little things like the virus. Hopefully they will go across the street to the display of cars that only some got to see over the years. It is the greatest collection of cars you could imagine. Puts most good sized museums to shame. Pure awesomeness. ;D

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
So did anyone see episode 1?  Quick synopsis is that they purchased a Pantera once owned by Carroll Shelby.  (Where have I heard that one before??). The claim is that this car was the test mule for what would eventually become the Viper in 1991.  Big claim.  It was missing it's Chrysler 360 Turbo charged engine when it was purchased, and miracles of miracles, they easily found it sitting in a junkyard after 30 years.  What really set the tone for this 'extensive restoration' was how they treated this long lost original (?) engine.  They threw it on a stand, hooked it up, and fired it up.  Pretty suspicious.  Is that the best way to treat an engine that you have no idea of the internals?  No.

In the end, they didn't rebuild the engine at all, merely throw a fancy paint job on it, and reinstall it in the car. 

It was interesting how they tried to make you think this car was as important to automotive history as CSX2000.   ::)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
You mean reality TV might not be completely real?

;)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 09:18:43 PM »
So did anyone see episode 1?  Quick synopsis is that they purchased a Pantera once owned by Carroll Shelby.  (Where have I heard that one before??). The claim is that this car was the test mule for what would eventually become the Viper in 1991.  Big claim.  It was missing it's Chrysler 360 Turbo charged engine when it was purchased, and miracles of miracles, they easily found it sitting in a junkyard after 30 years.  What really set the tone for this 'extensive restoration' was how they treated this long lost original (?) engine.  They threw it on a stand, hooked it up, and fired it up.  Pretty suspicious.  Is that the best way to treat an engine that you have no idea of the internals?  No.

In the end, they didn't rebuild the engine at all, merely throw a fancy paint job on it, and reinstall it in the car. 

It was interesting how they tried to make you think this car was as important to automotive history as CSX2000.   ::)

I didn't see the episode.  Was that by chance a white or red Pantera?   We had one of each at Shelby Automobiles, when I worked there.

IIRC: The white one had a turbo 360, the red car was a Chrysler Turbo four with a Lotus 4-valve head.

The white car was a total POS when I saw it at Shelby Gardena prior to the 2018 auction, and shot this photo.

Others here may know more.

A Pantera was not a prototype for the Viper.  Completely different setup, as we all know.
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:27:35 PM »
I enjoyed it.  Researching to find those still around that were involved with the white Pantera project and knew where the 360 Chrysler engine was with special headers very lucky.  I am sure the engine was overhauled but that process would probably be boring to some viewers or just too long and was left out. It was an interesting show.  Were there any magazine articles about the project or was it tossed aside when the V10 redesign came about.  I have not read any Viper history books and wonder if it was mentioned.

I remember the Pantera being in the back of the Gardena warehouse back in the late '80s next to the tire shop with all of CS' other personal cars, all left unattended and stored since he had lots of storage space.

It looks like it might be a decent series depending on the stories, vehicles, garages and personalities.  Motor Trend TV (fka, Velocity) has given us enough of the less than bright bulb shows for some time. 8)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
I haven't seen the show.  Did they talk to Neil Hannemann?   He's definitely a guy who would know a LOT.

I believe the white car was done as a project (an Iacocca request) to determine the feasibility of using a Chrysler V8...for a possible importation deal with DeTomaso.

I still have a very hard time seeing how any Pantera could be a mule for the Viper.  Unless perhaps it had a front-mounted V-10.  ??? :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:14:36 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:37:54 PM »
Yes, it was the white one.  It is quite a stretch to call it the "Grandad of the Viper" as they call it.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 11:56:59 PM »
It was to test a twin turbo set up on the Chrysler NASCAR 360 V8.  The original Viper concept was to be a mid-engine car, which is why the Pantera was chosen as a test mule.  But the entire program and design changed with the development of the V10 power plant and the Shelby Pantera test car was forgotten. Having some original involved with the restoration was interesting as well.  While not enough information on the development and restoration, it was definitely interesting. 8)

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:24 AM »
It was fun to watch. The commentary about the car was sort of kinda BS. The bit where they find the engine and all the related parts was obviously staged. Take it with a grain of salt and it's not bad. Looks like they are hyping the car so it will fetch big money one day.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »
It was fun to watch. The commentary about the car was sort of kinda BS. The bit where they find the engine and all the related parts was obviously staged. Take it with a grain of salt and it's not bad. Looks like they are hyping the car so it will fetch big money one day.

Exactly Sir!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover