News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Is this an original? Secondary nozzles on vacuum secondary?

Started by The Going Thing, March 22, 2020, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Peterson

Lots of companies sold kits to add secondary accelerator pump squirters to Holley carbs. It's too bad, they wreck a good core. Moroso, Jenkins Competition, other smaller companies used to sell the kits.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

The Going Thing

I remember the kits, vaguely. I didn't think any Holley carburetor ever came with them from Ford. I don't see how this would be beneficial without the butterflies opening when the fuel is being injected. Does this also incorporate a mechanical linkage for secondaries? 
Some numbskull thinks this is work 2500.00.  I can pick up a set of properly restored BJ-BK's for 1800.00.

Coralsnake

Its not ruined, but it will cost you about $300 to repair the damage done

The Going Thing

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Well, at that price I don't think it was the minors.. :D

Dan Case

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 22, 2020, 01:39:15 PM
I remember the kits, vaguely. I didn't think any Holley carburetor ever came with them from Ford. I don't see how this would be beneficial without the butterflies opening when the fuel is being injected. Does this also incorporate a mechanical linkage for secondaries? 
Some numbskull thinks this is work 2500.00.  I can pick up a set of properly restored BJ-BK's for 1800.00.

The typical aftermarket kit, any of several different makers, included nozzles for the four bore enrichment and some version of mechanical secondary conversion.  I know of screw in the secondary cancel link slot, cam operated, lever operated, and gear drive operated mechanical secondary designs.

Before factory made 'center squirters' and 'double pumpers' became speed shop and catalog sales items there were Ford/Holley/Shelby specials. Ford wise the Holley® carburetor Ken Miles preferred for GT40 MKIIs in 1966 included cam operated mechanical secondaries and a four port nozzle arrangement right in the middle of the carburetor. Not a carburetor the general public could go buy retail.  During the 1967 season the SCCA Mustang Group II cars were able to upgrade to two each fully mechanical secondary carburetors with 'center squirters' four bore enrichment systems.  Again this was not a generally available set of carburetors.

Randy might know of some others before late 1968?
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

The Going Thing

We'll have to poke Randy Gillis and get his take on this thing.  I would highly doubt this is worth half the asking price in light of condition.

Coralsnake

Its a one partial year/ one application carb

The price is reasonable if it were undamaged and fully restored