News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 under dash gauge pod

Started by Tired Sheep, March 04, 2020, 05:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tired Sheep

Can anyone tell me how and if it is lighted at night?

The Going Thing

Yes. 1- 1895 bulb in each instrument with a single power lead out scotch lok'd into the black with blue stripe wire .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 04, 2020, 05:50:57 PM
Yes. 1- 1895 bulb in each instrument with a single power lead out scotch lok'd into the black with blue stripe wire .
To add, and the bulb is painted green.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Bob, who sells the green paint these days?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 13, 2020, 06:02:15 PM
Bob, who sells the green paint these days?
I don't think it is too special and given the many alternatives to get the same look I have lost track.
It just needs to be a near shade and thinned down some.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

I have transparent green, red, amber and yellow paint. Tamiya makes it for models. I think I'll use some thinner to clean the glass and use my airbrush to shoot the green. I'll post pictures of the product and bulbs if it works out.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 13, 2020, 06:08:08 PM
I have transparent green, red, amber and yellow paint. Tamiya makes it for models. I think I'll use some thinner to clean the glass and use my airbrush to shoot the green. I'll post pictures of the product and bulbs if it works out.
Just so that you know the paint used on the original bulbs was not too transparent. It was opaque enough that you wondered if the light would get through, but it did. The transparent may still work but just be brighter bulb output. Best of luck.

JD

There is a diagram in the '67 Shelby Assembly Manual Branda sells that shows how the were wired.

Use to be able to find the bulbs on E-pay, as Bob said kind darker than you'd think.  My car had clear bulbs in them, must have been swapped-out by a previous owner, so you could actually read the gauges at night.

Will look tomorrow for a photo of the green bulbs...OK realized this is tomorrow!

See attached bulb image, the G at the end is for "Green" and the wiring diagram.  Buy the Manual from Branda every '67 owner should have one ;-)

JD
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The Going Thing

JD. The other option is LED replacements. They're green and as you stated: You can actually see to read the gauge. I ordered them from Amazon last night.

texas swede

Many years ago I bought a pair of original bulbs from Bob which were more like green/turquoise in color
than the one shown by J.D. At night they match the instrument panel light.
Texas Swede

68blk500c

original bulbs are a T-bird part #.

texas swede

The lamp is listed in the 67 Shelby Parts List:
Instrument Cluster Bulb Green S7MS-13466-A
Texas Swede

Side-Oilers

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 14, 2020, 01:15:17 AM
JD. The other option is LED replacements. They're green and as you stated: You can actually see read the gauge. I ordered them from Amazon last night.

Agreed. I put LEDs in my KR's dash lights and really like them. The color seems to be a bit more blue, but they're bright and do the job.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

Quote from: Side-Oilers on March 14, 2020, 10:48:45 AM
Quote from: The Going Thing on March 14, 2020, 01:15:17 AM
JD. The other option is LED replacements. They're green and as you stated: You can actually see read the gauge. I ordered them from Amazon last night.

Agreed. I put LEDs in my KR's dash lights and really like them. The color seems to be a bit more blue, but they're bright and do the job.
I replaced the lenses in the cluster when I restored it with the Scott Drake offerings. It certainly isn't a traditional green. I agree with Turquoise blue assessment.
The LEDs used were a bright white. What I love is you can see all of them clearly except the tach seems to have a dead-spot lighting wise.

KR Convertible

I think the generic number is 1893-G