Author Topic: Power Steering Pump Adjustment Tool?  (Read 2237 times)

1967 eight barrel

Power Steering Pump Adjustment Tool?
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Did Ford use a specialty tool to adjust the power steering pumps? If so, does someone have a picture?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Power Steering Pump Adjustment Tool?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:08:09 PM »
Did Ford use a specialty tool to adjust the power steering pumps? If so, does someone have a picture?

-Keith
Do you mean for tightening the belt?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:12:27 PM »
Yes, Bob.  It's almost impossible to get the belt adjusted because of the canister filter.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 11:20:23 PM »
Yes, Bob.  It's almost impossible to get the belt adjusted because of the canister filter.

-Keith
First off the canister filter is not supposed to be on your car so if you choose to use it instead of the factory setup then that is your choice to make it harder on yourself. I don't know about a special tool but there is a casting on the front of your pump that is meant to slid a open end wrench on to lever the pump belt tight. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:17:57 AM »
Bob, do you have a picture of how it's done? I did notice a couple of possibilities. However, I was using a pry bar to get it done. I ran the filter after making up a pattern for Inline Tube for clearance of the power steering pump reservoir.

-Keith
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:29:49 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:18:43 AM »
Bob, do you have a picture of how it's done? I did notice a couple of possibilities. However, I was using a pry bar to get it done. I ran the filter deliberately after making up a pattern for Inline Tube for clearance of the power steering pump reservoir.

-Keith
I think it shows in the shop manual but if you can't find it let me know and I will get a pump out and take a picture. FYI the 67 GT500 didn't use the inline filter because the fuelpump had the screw on filter made into it . For those reading The 427 use the inline filter on duel four applications because the fuelpump they used (AC brand) did not have a filter.If you want a more inexpensive non button top one that can be rebuilt here is a random one I found on ebay . https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-Ford-Galaxie-Custom-292-352-390-406-New-Carter-Fuel-pump-M3915-usa/372877506540   .   

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
I looked in the shop manual and was unable to find any illustration or even a description of how to adjust the belt tension. I've always used a short (maybe 12") breaker bar with one end on the shaft of the PS pump while lifting the handle with the shaft under the lifting tab on the PS pump aluminum bracket. So the handle of the bar is right next to the windshield washer bottle. A big square shanked screwdriver works just as well. I don't see how it would matter if there was a fuel filter canister.   

Bob, do you have a picture of how it's done? I did notice a couple of possibilities. However, I was using a pry bar to get it done. I ran the filter deliberately after making up a pattern for Inline Tube for clearance of the power steering pump reservoir.

-Keith
I think it shows in the shop manual but if you can't find it let me know and I will get a pump out and take a picture. FYI the 67 GT500 didn't use the inline filter because the fuelpump had the screw on filter made into it . For those reading The 427 use the inline filter on duel four applications because the fuelpump they used (AC brand) did not have a filter.If you want a more inexpensive non button top one that can be rebuilt here is a random one I found on ebay . https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-Ford-Galaxie-Custom-292-352-390-406-New-Carter-Fuel-pump-M3915-usa/372877506540   .
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
I have one

Will try to snap a photo

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 12:10:57 AM »
Here is a picture of the boss on the front of the pump meant for adjustment .I use a 9/16 open end. I have never seen the Ford tool but I am sure you could fabricate a tool that would make it even easier.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 06:02:06 AM »
That's Lisle part #12400. This is what is used to adjust the belt.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 06:31:25 AM »
Bob, The bracket is chrome plated and I don't want to mar it getting the belt tight enough that it doesn't slip under load.
                                                                                                                                      -Keith
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:04:55 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 07:50:21 AM »
I patterned this tool after one a Ford mechanic was using.

It is a modified pry bar (left). I cut the shovel end off leaving 15” of 1/2” square stock coming out of the handle. The shaft was bent to 90 degrees, 11” down, leaving 4” . I rubber coated the end to prevent marring.

Works like a charm. You can tighten the belt tighter than tight. The boss of the ps bracket sits right where the bar bends and you push the handle towards the battery. Presto! You can make this for $10

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:58:59 AM by Coralsnake »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »
I like! Simple and I can get the belt tight!
                                                              -Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »
Bob, do you have a picture of how it's done? I did notice a couple of possibilities. However, I was using a pry bar to get it done. I ran the filter after making up a pattern for Inline Tube for clearance of the power steering pump reservoir.

-Keith

You should have warned me? Now I'm blinded by the glare off of the chrome. :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!