News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

front springs color

Started by johnzajc@gmail.com, January 29, 2020, 10:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi---does anybody have any photos of 1969 june production with A/C automatic [428 Cobra Jet] Shelby GT 500 --front springs--I believe they are GLD/GREY,my problem is how did they install them---Thank you

johnzajc@gmail.com

Actually I need to be more specific---I would like to see how and what pattern blops of gold and grey were painted

Bob Gaines

Quote from: johnzajc@gmail.com on January 29, 2020, 11:47:15 PM
Actually I need to be more specific---I would like to see how and what pattern blops of gold and grey were painted
Turn the coil upside down (flat part on the floor). The stripes are typically 1 to 2 inchs apart (varies with paint  worker) there may be drips. When installed the drips if any will look like they are running up hill. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

As Bob mentioned applied off the car sitting likely in the reverse position of how they would end up being installed. Here is what was left of the gold on one spring - unfortunately the other color didn't hold up as well. IMHO this is a good example of how the drips often ran if the painter applied too much paint. Not all of them have runs nor would the brush have as much paint of the lower (as it sat during the application) as the first coils marked.

Another original example showing an application with less paint applied, the spacing and the irregular brush marks at the top and bottom edges of the pass.  Sometimes there is another white stripe applied using a spray can but would not add/reproduce that unless your car came that way. Not a common mark

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge