Author Topic: Torque Thrust "D" original vs modern/current version (previously called the GT)  (Read 5710 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
This was a topic on the old forum awhile back before the forum crash. I thought to bring it back, now that I sent my spare set to my NY home. I can now put these rims side by side to see the differences in spoke profile, both are 15x8.

Cheers,
~Earl J

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
The set I have are the style on the left. But I bought them in the 90's

I like the color of the spokes on the right better tho.

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
I have these (left ones) on my '65 GT350 and I have always thought they look great on the '65/66's. Looking at vintage pictures, they seem to be the competition wheels of choice in the era when the cars were used competitively. I have the original Cragars too but have never actually had them on the car!
65 GT350

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
I have these (left ones) on my '65 GT350 and I have always thought they look great on the '65/66's. Looking at vintage pictures, they seem to be the competition wheels of choice in the era when the cars were used competitively. I have the original Cragars too but have never actually had them on the car!
I can remember buying a set of 4 new "Mag wheel's" (what they were referred to as instead of Torque Thrust) back in 1970 for 150.00 or 200.00. It was a common wheel to personalize your car. back in the day. They were a lot less money then Cragars after market or original. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
They do look good and cheaper than Cragar.
Bought a set circa 1985 for my convertible.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Cragars have always been an issue. They are fragile on the old mounting machines and the center would break very often as a result in mounting a tire. In addition the chrome would peel off of the aluminum like aluminum foil AND more then one would have the rim separate from the center. Not only all of that but the brake dust would pit the heck out of them.

For whatever reason SA picked them, to be polite, they were not a good functional choice . Certainly they are not consistent in representing a car that was built for racing. I doubt any racer would use that wheel to go racing on.

It was almost as though Shelby was just going through the motions on the '65 GT350, didn't care almost to the point of sabotaging the project against Ford.

The exhausts alone were almost an embarrassment and many dealers complained it made it difficult to sell the car.

The "mags" like what were put on the "T/A" cars would have been a BETTER way to go. When it came down to Shelby, TOO MANY decisions were just made on a cost basis as a minimal way to satisfy the criteria that Ford had assigned to Shelby with this project?

I suspect this was just a way of protesting to Ford, that this is what you get for the money you gave me to build each car?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:23:47 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
This was a topic on the old forum awhile back before the forum crash. I thought to bring it back, now that I sent my spare set to my NY home. I can now put these rims side by side to see the differences in spoke profile, both are 15x8.

Cheers,
~Earl J            If there's one wheel that represents the 1960s early 1970s this is it! :)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Here is an image of an original Magnesium R-model rim for comparison as well.

If my memory is correct, weren't there 2 different versions of the aluminum reproduction wheel. An early version, then a later version before they discontinued making them.I thought maybe it had something to do with the lug nut holes or the offset?
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

If my memory is correct, weren't there 2 different versions of the aluminum reproduction wheel. An early version, then a later version before they discontinued making them.I thought maybe it had something to do with the lug nut holes or the offset?
There was also a difference in placement of the valve stem between one vintage style and another.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile

There was also a difference in placement of the valve stem between one vintage style and another.

Yes, the valve stems locations were either the angle wall or between the spokes. You can see the different locations in the above photos.

~E

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
I love the look of the magnesium rim
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The aluminum ones were like $39.95 each (list) I wonder what the mags were?

The 200s American was also around but cost more.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

I have no clue what the true mags sold for . That was above my pay grade as a teenager. In fact I don't remember even thinking about the difference back in the day .Only concerned about getting rid of the 14 inch wheels on my 69 Mach I and upgrade to the 15inch  stance the wheels and tires gave.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

I have no clue what the true mags sold for . That was above my pay grade as a teenager. In fact I don't remember even thinking about the difference back in the day .Only concerned about getting rid of the 14 inch wheels on my 69 Mach I and upgrade to the 15inch  stance the wheels and tires gave.

Just about any set was $150-ish. My first intake was an Offenhauser because it only cost $49.95 at JC Whitney. A hundred bucks for a Cobra script was beyond my means but not beyond my dreams.

I don't know what the margin was on the cars, but it wasn't much. To say multiply everything by 10 times may be an understatement.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:29:54 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
When it came down to Shelby, TOO MANY decisions were just made on a cost basis as a minimal way to satisfy the criteria that Ford had assigned to Shelby with this project?
Simple business practices. Save $10 on 500 cars and he put an extra $5000 in his pocket.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless