Author Topic: Color of proportion valve  (Read 6614 times)

whiteykr

• View Profile
Color of proportion valve
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:34 AM »
What is the correct color on the outside of the proportion valve? I have seen both semigloss black and grey with the bare metal areas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  This is for 65 Shelby.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Color of proportion valve
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »
What is the correct color on the outside of the proportion valve? I have seen both semigloss black and grey with the bare metal areas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  This is for 65 Shelby.
I depends on how early of a car. It is easy to say a mid or late production car would be black . Not so much with the earlier builds. In the beginning Shelby's used the ones that were gray just like a regular Mustang. SA had problems with the 2 1/2 inch rear brakes locking up. After a while SA got Ford to specify from the MFG to pre adjust the proportioning valves (backed off from typical Mustang adjustment) and most likely to make it easier to identify on the Ford assemblyline the valves were now painted black. The engineering number changed to a different C5ZX number also which the ZX designation typically meant a Shelby item. The only difference is the adjustment and the color.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:48:42 AM »
I depends on how early of a car. It is easy to say a mid or late production car would be black . ................

+1
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
Same question on color but for early 66. Car number 843 red Hertz. Thank you.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »
Same question on color but for early 66. Car number 843 red Hertz. Thank you.

Richard E.
This progression didn't change for 66. Early 65 were gray and all of the rest of GT350 production including 66 were black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
Thank you very much, Bob. Looks like I better get my paint brush out.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »
5S275 made at Ford San Jose the first week of May 1965, Bluish Gray or Black.
Texas Swede

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
5S228 was (is) grey.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
I've not been able to narrow down the pattern of when (about) the change over took place since so many were replaced due to leakage and such a high percentage of 65's have been restored by now and even in their early years
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
I've not been able to narrow down the pattern of when (about) the change over took place since so many were replaced due to leakage and such a high percentage of 65's have been restored by now and even in their early years
Yes I agree difficult to determine because many have already been replaced with subsequent owners un aware of the replacement. I am unaware of the C5ZX proportioning valve being surface so replacement would have been the typical gray colored valve. I think I have a copy of a SA memo talking about the change . I will have to review it for clues.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »
Something to think about is since the valves were identical except for the adjustment that a valve may have been painted black on top of the gray paint by KH. I am not 100 percent for sure but I know I have restored or had restored numerous proportioning valve over the years that were black but gray paint was underneath the top coat or what was left of the top coat .I didn't give the black ones a second thought given black was a typical choice for every thing under the hood on many rattle can restorations. It wasn't until another peer brought the color change to my attention did I make the association and made me wonder how many valves I had worked with still had the black finish they started with and I ignored it.   

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
On the black ones I have pictures of or have owned were black from the start and not over a prior gray coat and were painted all the way around the main case  (before assembly it appears) - minus the machined surfaces

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
Thanks Martin,
Since your car #228 has a higher Ford Vin than my #275, mine should probably be grey as well
and that's how I painted the original one after my Swedish friend Roland rebuilt it.
The date code on mine is 39-5 i.e. day 39, (Feb. 8) 1965.
Texas Swede

whiteykr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »
Thanks Bob,Jeff and everybody. My car is #348 so will paint it semi black. Interesting on backing off or adjustment of valve. Any idea on what this would be? I believe there were 15 threads  showing on outside of valve that I am working on.Thanks again Brad

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
I typically start at where the flat sides section starts is at the adjusting nut . I think that is nine .