News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Recommendations on Street/Track Tires

Started by kjspeed, February 19, 2018, 05:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjspeed

I'm in the market for a new set of street/track shoes for my 68 GT350 w/Boss 351. I plan on mounting them to my American Racing 200s 15" vintage magnesium 7" rims and I'm looking for recommendations on which tire to use. I have a set of Goodyear bias ply for show, so these are more for go. I am replacing BF Goodrich Comp T/A 235/60ZR15. It appears they no longer make that tire in 15".

I'm seeing Cooper Cobra white letter tires with T (118MPH) rating for $109 or less each which is either a good deal or cheap tires. I don't know which.

These will be mostly used on the street, but hopefully turn a few laps at future SAAC events. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

6s1139

15's is limited in choice - but thought you could still get the BFG's (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=23433&width=225/&ratio=60&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17), have these on mine

for my clone,  225/60R15 Yokohama A032R, Wanted the higher profile and the car does not really see street work (in fact, would recommend you stay away from any R tyres on a Shelby, they through up too much road rubbish)

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

SFM5S000

Quote from: kjspeed on February 19, 2018, 05:16:06 PM
I'm in the market for a new set of street/track shoes for my 68 GT350 w/Boss 351. I plan on mounting them to my American Racing 200s 15" vintage magnesium 7" rims and I'm looking for recommendations on which tire to use.

Hello Kevin,

First off if I were you, I would first reconsider a different set of rims for two reasons;
1. Magnesium rims that are close to fifty (50) years old are scary brittle. You want to risk these on track?
2. The real Magnesium 200S' had a tendency to crack in the centers when they were new, 50 years ago. You sure you want to risk your Shelby?

If you're planning to bring your car to SAAC 43 at Sonoma International this year NorCal SAAC's OTEC (On Track Executive Commitee) you will more than likely not pass Tech Inspection due to those rims.

"Parade lap" cars though, doesn't require going through Tech. NorCal SAAC is handling the tech duties for SAAC 43

Back to tires. The Avon CR6ZZ tires are great DOT legal tires as others have suggested but they are close to and over $400 apiece depending on size.

You may want to re visit your tire/rim selection.

Cheers,
~Earl J

zray

another vote for the Avon CR6ZZ tires in the 15" sizes. They will transform your cars cornering abilities.  I put a set on some plain steel wheels shown here. Yes they cost $350.00  per tire. A bargain compared to money spent on other suspension upgrades which don't make nearly the  same difference in performance.

Z

SFM5S000

Quote from: SFM5S000 on February 20, 2018, 12:43:00 AM
Quote from: 1109RWHP on February 20, 2018, 12:31:40 AM
Who is Shelrace?

John Bessey out of Southern California.

~E

I haven't seen him post with the new site software, but you might still be able to P/M him.

kjspeed

I really appreciate the feedback gentlemen! I hadn't given a thought to the mags not passing tech because of age. I did check for cracks but wasn't aware that magnesium got more brittle with age. So....

Based on that, these rims are not what I want to use. However, I understand they are fairly valuable so I'll probably sell them and put the money towards a better set of tires and rims.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on February 19, 2018, 11:36:26 PM
Shelrace can do this to your Avons;

I'd like to hear more about this process to the Avons. Anyone with closeups of the details?

Shelrace, along with Rick Kopec, has not re-registered to the Forum as of yet?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

Sounds like Avons are the way to go. If they'll pick up loose change as well as they do on Z's car I'll have them paid for in no time!  ;D

I don't take long trips in the car because @ 11.5:1 it likes Sunoco purple race fuel and at $8.37 a gallon it's not what you'd call economical. So for the short trips I take I don't mind cleaning the road debris off the quarters. It is a driver after all.

All that's left is to decide on rims. If I stick with 15's I'm limiting tire selection. If I go to 17's there are tons of selections but not for the Avon CR6ZZ. Decisions, decisions.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

Well, here's my issue with the Avon's. They are not cheap, they wear fast, they may be dried out in three years and unsafe. Other then that, I love 'em...especially if they can look like the large letter Goodyears!

There are a bunch of people who use them. Many here on this forum.

Rather then argue over these details, I'd rather see a poll of Avon user's on those details that I mention.

I have long ago realized that advocates of certain items often (but not always) have vested interests in recommending certain products. My opinion is, that has not changed.

I'd rather hear from several dozen folks who use them rather then one person who disagrees, and tells me that I am misinformed and I am misinformed because I am stupid. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

zray

Quote from: kjspeed on February 20, 2018, 08:04:29 AM
Sounds like Avons are the way to go. If they'll pick up loose change as well as they do on Z's car I'll have them paid for in no time!  ;D

I don't take long trips in the car because @ 11.5:1 it likes Sunoco purple race fuel and at $8.37 a gallon it's not what you'd call economical. So for the short trips I take I don't mind cleaning the road debris off the quarters. It is a driver after all.

All that's left is to decide on rims. If I stick with 15's I'm limiting tire selection. If I go to 17's there are tons of selections but not for the Avon CR6ZZ. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, on long trips I must pull over every so often and pull $15-$20 from each tire. And then due to the 4 IDA 48 Weber's,  I give the coin to the gas station attendants.

;)

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 20, 2018, 08:22:12 AM
Well, here's my issue with the Avon's. They are not cheap, they wear fast, they may be dried out in three years and unsafe. Other then that, I love 'em...especially if they can look like the large letter Goodyears!

There are a bunch of people who use them. Many here on this forum.

Rather then argue over these details, I'd rather see a poll of Avon user's on those details that I mention.

I have long ago realized that advocates of certain items often (but not always) have vested interests in recommending certain products. My opinion is, that has not changed.

I'd rather hear from several dozen folks who use them rather then one person who disagrees, and tells me that I am misinformed and I am misinformed because I am stupid. ;)

My only vested interest in the Avon CR6ZZ tires is wanting others to have the same positive experiences that I have enjoyed.

I installed the Avon's on a  GT350 and on a K code. On both cars the Avons were on track to last well over 20,000 miles of VERY spirited driving. The K code fastback had well over 15,000 miles on the tires with over 50% of usable tread left. With the Avons installed, cornering became very predictable and rock solid.  Excellent traction, wet or dry.

On the GT350 the Avon's were on the car for about 4 1/2 years in the central Texas heat with no signs of drying out or otherwise losing traction as they wore.  I drive that car daily, in temperatures ranging from 30 F to 110 F.  The tires on that car  lasted 23,000 miles before replacement.

I measure the cost of the tires against the money spent on other suspension upgrades which are rointinely made on cars to make them suitable for high speed touring  or part time track use.   People that think nothing about dropping $2,000 to $5,000 on suspension upgrades, inexplicably balk at $1,400 for a set Avons. I don't understand that type of economy. Quality tires are, in my view, the most important part of the suspension system, and not the place to skimp.

If one drives under 5,000 miles a year, I see no reason that a set of Avons can't easily last 5 years. Long enough to be a very attractive upgrade that will measurably improve the cars drivability.

Z