The Official SAAC Forum
September 02, 2014, 09:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinewood derby time again - Friday results are in!  (Read 6133 times)
ITHERTZ

« on: January 16, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »

Friday's results are in:

Last year, I used a pre-cut kit and the car was slow.  This year, I went old school and designed our own cars, polished the axles, trued the wheels, the whole works.  Molly's car was fast - really fast (white one).  After easily beating up on all the cars, the race prior to the ribbon round did not go without incident.  One of the other competitor's car jumped the track and crashed into Molly's.  We didn't think much of it, but when she took 3rd out of 4th in the last race, loosing the cars she beat previously, something was up.  Upon inspection, I found out that her left rear axle got bent, pinning the wheel to the side of the car!  I'm amazed it even made it down the track like that.  Oh well, all is fair in racing, right!!

I thought Ella's (red ladybug) would easily have been faster, as the wheels sure felt faster to me when testing it, and the design was much sleeker.  I had to add extra weight to the bottom, and think it may have rubbed the bottom track guides as the car was fast until the "hump" on each race.  At least she took home a ribbon for favorite car from her pack, so both ladies won a ribbon tonight!!!

My favorite part of the day was to learn that one of Molly's friends reported to her that she didn't have time to complete her car and that she didn't have one ready to race.  Molly offered to let her use the car she had last year (she cherrishes it and won't let any of her sisters touch it).  So she invited the friend home from school, and we took her to the races with Molly's old car.  She was thrilled, and I was proud of my daughter for this.  Her friend ran Molly's purple Cobra..  Enjoy the pics.

5S545

Oct 1965 - the new family car!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »

That's great Troy!!  Gotta get the women involved with cars and such early!  Grin

Deborah

steele138
skeptic since 1974

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »

Man that really brings back memories;we always looked good and ran in the top 25% of the field.
Better watch it they'll be driving in 2 weeks!
Congratulations!!!
Scott

" I hate to advocate the use of drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone;but its always worked for me"
Hunter S Thompson
Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »

Awesome cars Troy!  I just traded more than a few sleepless nights for pinewood glory just a couple weeks ago.  Both my son and daughter were able to participate through their prospective troops.  I myself had an entry.  I'll post pics in a bit! PeelOut

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:48:06 PM by showyourauto » Logged

The Truth Will Set You Free
(but first it will most likely piss you off)
ITHERTZ

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »

Yea, a "parent" class sounds cool.  Be sure to post the pics and results.

Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »

Awesome cars Troy!  I just traded more than a few sleepless nights for pinewood glory just a couple weeks ago.  Both my son and daughter were able to participate through their prospective troops.  I myself had an entry.  I'll post pics in a bit! PeelOut

"BSA Pinewood Derby: A Shelby Sponsored Event"

Jackson is the one in the hat.

In a field of 81 cars and 5 classes:

Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »

Jackson's entry was a loose interpretation of the Daytona:

He ran six heats, one for each lane running 3rd, 4th, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st

Josie's GS Troop ran after the BS Troop:

Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

Josie's "car" was modeled after the classic Hot Wheets dragracing S'Cool Bus. Please pardon the plum crazy purple.

She placed 2nd in her troop:

Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »

I entered in Parent/Sibling Class and came in 2nd to a four year old (son of the Den Leader):

Mine was made form a kit that was yet unbuilt I discovered in my old Boy Scout things..

ITHERTZ

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »

Love the lightning bolt Daytona and the purple bus.  Hate to say it, but your kids have cooler cars than yours  Cheesy

I sketched out my own loose interpretation of the Daytona meets Batmobile design.  If I ever have the nerve, I may try and carve it some day.  In my head, it will be awesome.

Have you seen those designs with the front end notched out deep to the front axle?  I always wondered when I saw those why anybody would want it as it clearly wasn't aerodynamic or stylish.  Then, I saw how the cars were placed/started on the track and it occurred to me......cheaters!!!

Patrick Krook
ShowYourAuto.com

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

Love the lightning bolt Daytona and the purple bus.  Hate to say it, but your kids have cooler cars than yours  Cheesy

I sketched out my own loose interpretation of the Daytona meets Batmobile design.  If I ever have the nerve, I may try and carve it some day.  In my head, it will be awesome.

Have you seen those designs with the front end notched out deep to the front axle?  I always wondered when I saw those why anybody would want it as it clearly wasn't aerodynamic or stylish.  Then, I saw how the cars were placed/started on the track and it occurred to me......cheaters!!!

I like your cobra and the white PEACE car the best out of them. Grin  As for the front end notched, we make those cars run backward!  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!