News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Possible 65 Shelby parts available

Started by 69bosssvt, July 31, 2019, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bosssvt

Possible Shelby parts available
From VMF newbie today...just thought I'd share...you can go there if interested in contacting him
65 Shelby stuff... what to do...
Hey all, new to the forum. I'll post an intro also but I've had a few vintage Mustangs over the years. My latest acquisition leaves me in a bit of a quandary and I'm looking for some good feedback. So, trying to make a short story out of this, I just got a 65 A code 4 spd car that was originally turquoise.. Now, this is all 100% legit: It was converted to a GT350 in 1968. Maybe one of the first "clones" lol. It was copied off a specific GT350 for the purpose of road racing (I know which one). The original owner had this car, two GT 350's and was also an employee of Ford. He ordered all original parts for the car and did one heck of job duplicating the original. I have photos of the car back in the day and it went into storage sometime around 1974-75. It sat there till the mid 80's when the owner decided to make it a regular road car. Unfortunately whatever engine and trans was in it was swapped for a 5.0 and AOD but it was never finished. Fast forward to today and I have the car now.

It's got a bunch or original Shelby stuff on it including the hood, gauge pod, date coded gauges (although it's a 66 tach), grill support and aluminum grill trim filler piece, override traction bars (through the floor). It has Koni's on it but I haven't been able to date code them yet. It has a weird pair of koni's laying in the trunk that have (very old) 65 Shelby written on them but date codes are off and they have the round fitting on both the top and the bottom. Maybe some sort of quad shock set up? No clue on that one...

So here in is the quandary... Do I run it with the original parts on there or find someone that needs this stuff for an actual GT 350 restoration?? I have zero idea of what the stuff is actually worth and I am not looking at this from a financial perspective. I'm looking at this from a "should they go to a real GT 350" perspective...

No mater what the car is cool and, besides faded paint from 1968, it's freakin mint. Interior is immaculate...

What's the consensus on it? Run it or talk with a Shelby restorer?

Very sincerely, thanks for any advice...

Brandon
Do it now...sometimes "LATER" becomes "NEVER"....

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

69bosssvt

He is a new member on vintage mustang forum...you can read his post there under vintage mustangs...here are some pics he sent...
Do it now...sometimes "LATER" becomes "NEVER"....

Greg

First, let me say what you are trying to do is very honorable.  What I recommend, contact Jim Cowles, Tony Conover and Curt at Cobra Automotive (there are others but these gentlemen come to mind at the moment) and get three opinions of what the value of your parts are.  You will need good pictures and after you have gotten their opinion you can run an ad here or take one of their offers if they are interested.  The odds of you finding a legitimate 65 Shelby owner that needs the parts you mentioned is probably slim.  If you don't want every penny they are worth, price them low and they will be purchased by someone that buys and sells parts (that is in that business) and it's done. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Iceman

It would be really great if the parts get someone who needs them for an original Shelby! It has so many Cloner pay on Ebay a lot of money to make their clone better. I have already imported more than one GT350 from the US (also from people who have a good name in the USA). Many original parts were taken from the vehicles before they were shipped to Europe! After that, I found the parts in Ebay (Oil pressure line and gauge, valve covers, etc.) again and it is a cheekiness to enrich in this way. Next time with a purchase, I'll pick up the car myself and load it into the container myself. Then I know that everything arrives correctly and not looted. In that sense, I would also be interested in the parts. Thanks

kingchief

I like parts! ALWAYS looking to upgrade!

Steve
SFM 6S406

reefsandrods

Thanks to 69Bosss for posting for me.  Yup, that's the car I just brought home.  I've decided to run it as is, I don't need the $$ from the parts so as many people on another post stated, the story of the car is really cool.  It's like a time capsule (except the engine swap).  It does have an original Shelby oil pan on it though!  The late model engine/trans is coming out in favor of a hot old school engine.  Plus I have a pile of toploaders... Also have an Edelbrock F4B intake and open letter Cobra valve covers so it will be close to it's true origins...

silverton_ford

Very cool car!   Whatever you choose to do with be just fine, just do whatever you want to do.

If it was my car I would keep it together, but do as you wish.   Nice car.