The Official SAAC Forum
July 25, 2014, 09:02:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carlite windshield glass etching  (Read 2696 times)
jim mac

Email
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »

Below is the etching for my side window glass.  I have a later style windshield that I am going to replace, any idea what the correct codes should be for a windshield?  It looks like the code to the right of the date code is "AS2" and on the bottom "FM-M60".  Are these the same for a windshield?
Jim

* carlite.jpg (53.52 KB, 601x600 - viewed 144 times.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:03:23 AM by jim13mac » Logged

"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough."  - Mario Andretti
acman63

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »

date is on the left.  its either 6L  or 4L  cant really tell from the pics

jim mac

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 08:04:32 AM »

The date is 6L, December 1966.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:06:19 AM by jim13mac » Logged

"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough."  - Mario Andretti
GT350H

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »

Below is the etching for my side window glass.  I have a later style windshield that I am going to replace, any idea what the correct codes should be for a windshield?  It looks like the code to the right of the date code is "AS2" and on the bottom "FM-M60".  Are these the same for a windshield?
Jim

This is what I understand the CarLite etchings to stand for on a windshield.  My characters are for a 1966 though.

4C - March 64
     AS1 - approved for front windshield (laminated)
FM-M57 - has do to with where windshield was made

~ Bill
Owner of my Hertz Shelby since October 6, 1969.
rockhouse66

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

The date is 6L, December 1966.

"L" is November, not December.

Jim
jim mac

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »

"L" is November, not December.

Yup you are right, thanks.  Ford Skiped "I"....

jim mac

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »

This is what I understand the CarLite etchings to stand for on a windshield.  My characters are for a 1966 though.

4C - March 64
     AS1 - approved for front windshield (laminated)
FM-M57 - has do to with where windshield was made

Is that the consensus then...? before I go and have the glass etched.  Anyone else have a 67 windshield they can check?  The ones I have access to all have had the glass replaced, except for a 66 with air which had tinted glass and no etching.
Jim

GT350H

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »

Is that the consensus then...? before I go and have the glass etched.  Anyone else have a 67 windshield they can check?  The ones I have access to all have had the glass replaced, except for a 66 with air which had tinted glass and no etching.
Jim

I probably got the explantion for those windshield codes off of this and other forums, but I don't remember for sure where I picked up that information.  Besides, when I ordered my new OEM windshield from Pilkington Classics about four years ago, I didn't have the choice of choosing exactly which characters to have etched into it.  Pilkington, and probably the others, have a contract outfit etch the CarLite logo into the glass, and they use a standard etching format based on the year of the car, and probably a few other factors.  So I don't believe you can choose your exact etching format.  I took a picture of the etching on my original windshield before replacing it, but it was so faded that I can't interpret it from the picture, and could barely read it from close up.  But if I remember correctly the etching on my repro windshield was slightly different than the original.  But not enough to affect any judging, IMO, if you may be worried about that.  A concours judge should be able to better comment on this.  Before you order your new windshield tell them that you would like to see an exact representation of what they will be etching into it.  They may be willing to send you that info if it means a sale or not.   

~ Bill
Owner of my Hertz Shelby since October 6, 1969.
Road Reptile

mustang_isme@live.com
Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

Hi to Jim and all,
  Checked out my original windshield for what it is worth it is as follows   

super-30
                               laminated safety glass
                                        Car Lite
                                N      sun visor    R
                               7B       sun x      AS 1
                                      FM - M07
               The carlite is inside an oval and the letters N and R are circled which is much like the pic you posted
      Hope this helps out.This car has factory tinted glass (aka sun x ) which is a nice option.
                Have you tried P.S.GLASS they sell and etch also....Best prices!!
                             Regards R.R.

jim mac

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »

Just an update.  Ordered the clear windshield from Pilkington glass.  They had the logo and date code of my choice etched.  It came out very nice, looks great.  Thanks for all your advice.
Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!