News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

T 10 jumping out of gear

Started by tblackgt350, April 27, 2019, 07:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tblackgt350

So I just got my car out of the shop; it was in to rebuild the motor. While it was out I had the T10 built because it would jump out of 2nd gear when going down hill if I was backing out of it, letting the motor hold the car back a little.  Now that I've got it back, it does the same thing. I don't think it would have anything to do with it, but it has had a balky Hurst shifter as long as I've had it-it makes the 1-2 shift harder than it should be but I just put up with it cause I thought it looked great and I kinda liked it. Could the shifter have anything to do with this??

Thanks

shelbydoug

T10s are notorious for popping out of second gear. What you described is the classic problem.

The shift mechanism has nothing to do with it.

Usually this is a detent issue but to me it just means the original design of the detent was insufficient. If it was rebuilt with original parts, it would have the original issue.

Talk to Jim at Shelby Parts and Restoration in Greenbay, WI. I think that he mentioned that he had a fix for this issue.

I'm not sure what the fix is on them but it could just be needing a stronger spring in the detent plunger mechanism ?

The reality is that these  t10s should have been all recalled and corrected under warranty.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Jim at Shelby parts and restoration has a transmission guy that can fix the problem. Contact him for information.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 27, 2019, 10:02:25 PM
Jim at Shelby parts and restoration has a transmission guy that can fix the problem. Contact him for information.

Good to know thanks Bob
6S373
6S1276

pmustang

Mine did the same, now has a five speed :-)

shelbydoug

In a top loader, the transmission is held in gear with a "detent". What that is, is a spring loaded pin.

It is about the size of 9mm bullet, but machined in steel with a point rather then a round bullet head.

It is held into a dent in the fork by spring pressure.

Two things could have happened. The tip on the "bullet" could have worn down to where it won't sit in the dimple in the fork OR it's ok but the strength of the spring has weakened or was never strong enough to begin with.

The bullet should be a hardened part, not just tool steel.

On the top loader, these detents are accessible from the outside of the transmission. They are covered by a 3/8" bolt. The bullet can be fished out with a magnet.

I would presume that the T10's are accessible from the outside but if not, then you need to open the case to change them.

The solution is to change either the pin or the spring. Possibly both.

A stronger spring is going to be noticeable when shifting. It is going to make more of a positive click when in gear. That could have been the reason that seemingly so many do this, i.e., the engineer in charge decided there would be too many customer complaints about notchy shifting?

There is no question that this is the reason so many T10's were changed out for top loaders?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

A-Snake

One way to have the 'pin' stay in the detent is to enlarge the detent recess. Notice the detent recess on the left, it has been enlarged to hold second gear. This one is 'set' to require about 11 lbs pressure to move out of second gear.

Rocket

Have owned 550 since 1967, and have never experienced it jumping out of second gear, or any other gear. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

shelbydoug

Quote from: A-Snake on April 28, 2019, 07:05:32 PM
One way to have the 'pin' stay in the detent is to enlarge the detent recess. Notice the detent recess on the left, it has been enlarged to hold second gear. This one is 'set' to require about 11 lbs pressure to move out of second gear.

How does that make the shifter feel?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kram350

Whoever rebuilds your trans ask them about reverse cut or torque lock sliders. These sliders taper to hold the slider (and shift fork) on the gear, unlike the standard slider which has straight engagement teeth. Using these hubs on both 1-2 and 3-4 along with deepened detent valley's will stop the popping out of gear.

gt350hr

There are also two different hub and slider detent styles. I have been "no popping" them for decades for my Southern California friends. I have only had to alter the "levers" in the side cover once on a Corvette trans.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

A-Snake

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 28, 2019, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: A-Snake on April 28, 2019, 07:05:32 PM
One way to have the 'pin' stay in the detent is to enlarge the detent recess. Notice the detent recess on the left, it has been enlarged to hold second gear. This one is 'set' to

How does that make the shifter feel?
There is a little more pressure that can be felt when shifting out of second.

kram350

gt350hr, Do you use the original T-10 sliders and key's or the super T-10's? I also find the stamped hollow keys shift better at higher RPM.

A-Snake

If the photos I uploaded do not
show correctly, look at
them in my gallery.

gt350hr

Quote from: kram350 on April 29, 2019, 09:47:10 PM
gt350hr, Do you use the original T-10 sliders and key's or the super T-10's? I also find the stamped hollow keys shift better at higher RPM.

I do not use original T10 sliders. I only use the "modern" hooked sliders even if the trans wasn't popping. Hollow keys are OK , but "some" drivers seem to like to break them. Other drivers never break anything.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.