The Official SAAC Forum
December 11, 2017, 12:48:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby American Promo video  (Read 3114 times)
Racing Division, Inc

Email
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »

Maybe old news but I have never seen this one. Has some nice shots inside the Imperial HWY facility and good action shots.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nSlyJrw_A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nSlyJrw_A</a>

ve4mm

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »

I'm not a smart man, but I know what speed is.

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »

That was pretty cool.  And the Tasca CJ drag car as well.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
427 Cobra

SAAC Member since 1979

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:36:02 PM »

That's a great clip.  Thanks for sharing.  I've never seen the first two minutes before.  How could this one have been hiding for so long?  Got any more???

6s341

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »

Great clip, from the drag racing fastbacks to the Shelby ad!...thanks for posting! Cool

Craig S.
GT350DAVE
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »

I liked the part where he got in the car and put only half of the shoulder harness on. I guess he also learned that sometimes those retractors lock when you don't want them to.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water
shlby66

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

Yes, they do work quite well...whether you wanted them to or not. Grin

shelbydoug

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

You have to start the car before you put the harness on. You can't reach the radio either. I forget if you can reach first and third gear? I think so? Roll Eyes

"buy it or watch it go by"
Bill Collins

5006 - Again being abused, just like in the 1970's

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »

I also have never seen the interior sequences at Imperial Highway that are in this video. That's a real hi-tech assembly line for the '66 350's - I liked the one guy pushing the car forward. Sure doesn't look like the more sophisticated procedure portrayed in the still shots of the line that we have all seen over the years!

Now here's one for the literature hounds - Did you catch that "COBRA 427 is here!" banner hanging on the end of the shelf in the view of the parts room? I've never seen any of those before - looks like a dealer showroom banner. Anybody seen/have one?

Owner of 5S006 since 1971, CSX2188 1979-2016, 401365 since 2006
427 Cobra

SAAC Member since 1979

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

Regarding the "COBRA 427 is here" poster...  I have one that I bought about a year or two ago from a guy that had it since the late 60's.  He got it from a previous employee of Shelby American.  He thought it was some sort of prototype poster but I've seen two others now - the one that popped up in this video(!) and one other in a picture where it's hanging in a new car display in January 1966 with a brand new silver 427 Cobra sitting in front of it.  So, the latter sighting tells me they were distributed to dealers, albeit, in very limited supply because I've never seen any others in my 30 years of collecting. 

Oh, and the silver 427 Cobra mentioned above in the January 1966 snapshot?  It's sitting in my garage, looking the same now as it did then.  CSX3190.

* Cobra_-_Jan__1966.jpg (6.31 KB, 604x600 - viewed 261 times.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:52:32 PM by 427 Cobra » Logged
Bill Collins

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 06:33:46 AM »

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on 42 years of Cobra ownership! Do you have any background on the photo? It appears to be an auto show display. Koons Ford, as you likely know, was a major Cobra/Shelby dealer. I was a member of TCR (The Capitol Region) SAAC when it was in existence in the 1980's/early '90's and my friends from Northern Virginia had many Koons stories.

That's a really cool poster, can't think of a better place for it than with CSX3190. Ironically, one of my TCR buddies now lives in Scottsdale and owns CSX3200. I have also been gathering Shelby literature since pulling my first pieces off the local Shelby dealer's showroom rack in the '60's - now I have something else to hunt for!

427 Cobra

SAAC Member since 1979

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 07:43:21 AM »

Bill,  thank you for your comments!   Although I need to make a clarification - I'm the third owner of CSX3190.  I purchased it from the second owner 4 years ago.  That fellow had owned it since 1968, an impressive 37 years!  And of course he bought it from the original owner. 

When I first purchased 3190 I tried to track down the original owner with no success.  But then I tried again last year.  Lo & behold I found him, still with us in his advanced years.  Gratefully, he seemed as happy to hear from me (as the current owner of his old car) and I was to talk to him.  We created a nice rapport and subsequently he sent me three vintage photos of 3190.  One of them being the photo I attached to this thread. 

In January 1966 Koons Ford set-up at a general public new car show for area dealers at the local National Guard Armory (in Washington DC, I believe).  They took 3190 to the show and that's a picture of it displayed there.  The person sitting in the car is the original owner's son.  I was so thrilled to get that picture as well as the other two I have (taken later, in 1967).

I have always tried to track down previous owners of the Shelbys I've owned over the years because you never know what you will turn up in the way of vintage photos & literature for the cars.  Plus, just talking to these folks is a tremendous pleasure.  They provide insight that only original owners can give.  I encourage everyone to do this.  It's so interesting to talk to these people (while they are still with us).  It's also great to be able to reunite old photos & literature with the cars rather than having these items become lost to time, which surely would have happened if I hadn't been persistent with my search. 

By the way, if anyone out there has a vintage 1960's Koons Ford license plate frame (or other vintage 1960's Koons memorabilia/dealer pictures) I would be very happy to hear from you!           

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:59:21 AM by 427 Cobra » Logged
Bill Collins

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »

You are welcome! Sorry about my error on your ownership, that's what I get for only looking at my '97 Registry! (It is closest to my computer). Ironically, TCR SAAC had displays of member cars for many years at Custom Car shows that, I believe, were also held at the Washington, DC Armory!

I agree with your enthusiasm for contacting original owners. It can be very rewarding. And the internet has opened up an entire universe of opportunity to find people. As you may know, I sell (and have been selling) Shelbys for over 30 years and I have many great stories about previous and original owners.

I once received an audio tape with a car that had been recorded over 20 years earlier by a lady who owned the GT350 throughout the 1970's. It related her experiences with it, which were quite adventurous! I transcribed the tape, with some editing, and included it into my description when I offered the car for sale. I received more comment about that story than anything I have ever posted! Even a couple of years later, people were still mentioning how much they enjoyed reading it.

I still have friends in the northern VA area and visit there regularly. I'll keep a lookout for any Koons items. You might try the Libraries there; many keep historical photo archives of local landmarks. I recentlly found a 1960's photo of Broadway Ford, another big Shelby dealer located in Kansas City. The KC library had it in their online photo file.

ITHERTZ

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

Hey Bill,

Speaking of previous owners, I'm still waiting to hear from you about what you know regarding history/ownership so I can begin my hunt on the 2 cars you supplied us with.

Also, it shouldn't be too hard for me to make a "replica" of that banner in any color scheme and size you want should anybody be interested.

Thanks,
Troy

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:50:08 AM by ITHERTZ » Logged

pmspero

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »

I'm not a smart man, but I know what speed is.
That's f-ing hilarious! Still laughing while typing this. It's great to see that Forrest traded in his lawn mower for a 67 500.... RACE!! FORREST RACE!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!