News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Sealers for side scoops and taillight panel.

Started by cascade-classics, March 23, 2019, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascade-classics

I received a blank copy of the 2018 SAAC Judging rules for 67 Shelby and had some questions on the Exterior rules. Here is the rule:

Hood, Scoops, and Fiberglass Body Panels: Proper material and style
for year and model. Nose, end caps and tail panel - dark gray strip
caulk on early cars, clear on later. Upper and lower scoops - clear
silicone or dark gray strip caulk. Sealant must be visible around all
side scoops (top and sides only) and quarter panel end caps

First question. , it states the upper and lower side scoops and quarter end caps must have visible sealer all the way around them.  How visible?  That is just against all my instincts on exterior body panels to have nasty sealer squeezing out around them!   Does anyone have any photos of how all this is supposed to look?  Second question is concerning the color of sealer.  What is the cutoff for early versus late (gray versus clear sealer)?

Thank you.

Chris Thauberger

Clear caulk similar to silicone. I would advise against using silicone.

This is the rear quarter extension on my 68. I can take a few more this afternoon.

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

JD

Quote from: cascade-classics on March 23, 2019, 12:38:12 PM
I received a blank copy of the 2018 SAAC Judging rules for 67 Shelby and had some questions on the Exterior rules. Here is the rule:

First question. , it states the upper and lower side scoops and quarter end caps must have visible sealer all the way around them.  How visible?  That is just against all my instincts on exterior body panels to have nasty sealer squeezing out around them!   Does anyone have any photos of how all this is supposed to look?  Second question is concerning the color of sealer.  What is the cutoff for early versus late (gray versus clear sealer)?

Thank you.

OK, what is the Shelby American Completion date of your '67?

The color of the car may help to "hide" some of the excess sealer.

There are many aspects of "Correct - like as new in 1967"  that is not (what most feel is) up to today's high-end restorations.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TLea

To be more concise the two answers you got were in regards to 68. Others can probably elaborate on 67s but I would typically expect a dark gray caulking type of sealer to be installed on the scoop prior to it being installed on the car and some of it should ooze  out. Similar to 66 side scoops. On 68 is the clear sealer was put on after the scoop was installed.

JD

Quote from: TLea on March 23, 2019, 02:10:47 PM
To be more concise the two answers you got were in regards to 68. Others can probably elaborate on 67s but I would typically expect a dark gray caulking type of sealer to be installed on the scoop prior to it being installed on the car and some of it should ooze  out. Similar to 66 side scoops. On 68 is the clear sealer was put on after the scoop was installed.

^^^ Yes and then too the ooze-out would get wiped/smoothed some - not just left as irregular excess ooze-out.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

cascade-classics

Quote from: JD on March 23, 2019, 02:09:32 PM

Thank you.

There are many aspects of "Correct - like as new in 1967"  that is not (what most feel is) up to today's high-end restorations.

Shelby completion date was May 11, 1967.  Car is white.

CSX 4133

SEM seam sealer or the Eastwood equivalent. Available in a variety of colors, beige, grey and black.

JD

Quote from: cascade-classics on March 23, 2019, 02:53:43 PM

Thank you.

Probably clear, others (Bob G) will chime in, the clear should not be very visible on your white car.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on March 23, 2019, 03:05:43 PM

Thank you.

Probably clear, others (Bob G) will chime in, the clear should not be very visible on your white car.
May 11 67 car would have clear on side scoop /nose. Tail panel is a different story. You can put silicone on after installation as it pertains to side scoops/ nose. Tape close on both sides of seam then apply the silicone . Work into seam and wipe off excess by going over the crack with your finger then pull tape off . You may have to go over it with your finger again to get edges to lay down . This has to be  done in like 5 minutes or less before sealer starts to set up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cascade-classics

Thank you.

You mention the tail panel is a different story.  Please elaborate.  I found this picture on the web of a 68. Are the hole covers factory or did someone make those?   To bad they did not do that for 67.

Tired Sheep

The 1968 covers are factory. Some early cars did use the larger covers. The covers were originally painted black

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cascade-classics on March 25, 2019, 11:35:27 AM

Thank you.

You mention the tail panel is a different story.  Please elaborate.  I found this picture on the web of a 68. Are the hole covers factory or did someone make those?   To bad they did not do that for 67.
The short answer is the strip caulk only was used on the tailpanel . The tailpanel area could not be sealed from outside fumes from getting in which caused problems.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350AUS

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on March 23, 2019, 01:02:03 PM
Clear caulk similar to silicone. I would advise against using silicone.

This is the rear quarter extension on my 68. I can take a few more this afternoon.

Hi Chris,

If you could post a couple of additional pictures of yours that would be great.

Top and bottom side scoops
Rear quarter end caps
Front nose

Basically everywhere it's caulked.

Thanks

Ross

nightmist67

What would be correct for a car completed in late January 1967?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nightmist67 on March 27, 2019, 03:40:53 PM
What would be correct for a car completed in late January 1967?
Most likely clear RTV( room-temperature-vulcanizing) Silicone.