Author Topic: '65 Fastback Sheet Metal Question  (Read 5479 times)

Dynomax

• View Profile
'65 Fastback Sheet Metal Question
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:04:02 PM »
Hi all. I wasn't quite sure where to post this question on the forum. Does anyone know where I can source '65 Mustang Fastback brackets "SUPPORT - AUXILLIARY FLOOR PANEL REAR". These are illustrated as item #6 of the "1964 1/2 - 1965 Mustang Weld & Sealant Assembly Manual", page 144. Engineering or prime part numbers for these are 11450 and 11451. Many thanks for your help.

Karguy

• View Profile
Re: '65 Fastback Sheet Metal Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »
What it be possible for you to post some pictures? Either of the section you need on your car or from the manual.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Dynomax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
http://www.saacforum.com/gallery/555-100319210931.jpeg

Hi Karguy. Thanks for the illustration suggestion. I have had some issues trying to upload an image. I have posted a scan from the manual in "My Gallery" on the Forum (location details above) but couldn't get it to load into this reply as an image. One direct from my computer may load when I post this reply!

Dynomax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:22:50 PM »
Success on the image posting front! I forgot to add, the bracket in question is item number 6.

Dynomax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
I've run out of resources and never found an answer. Just reposting this in the off-chance someone has some information.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 11:44:09 PM »
Hi all. I wasn't quite sure where to post this question on the forum. Does anyone know where I can source '65 Mustang Fastback brackets "SUPPORT - AUXILLIARY FLOOR PANEL REAR".

Donor car. Doubt you will find a NOS one for the side or sides you need
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:28:18 AM »
Hi Dynomax,
I happen to be working on my 65 Fastback and this part of my car is wide open, so I took the opportunity for some photos and measurements. I don't think it would be too hard to fabricate this bracket. I'd tackle this with a piece of 11-gauge steel, a jigsaw, vice, drill, ball peen hammer and some files to smooth it out.

The floor area where the bracket is welded slopes back from level at 8-degrees. The wall behind slopes back at 19 degrees. I created a 3-view dimension drawing for the passenger side bracket. The driver side is the reverse.

I suspect it would be pretty easy to find someone who can weld a bit better than was done on my car.

I don’t know if you will find this useful, but it kept me entertained for an hour or so. Smooth roads!

Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
Hello DynoMax,
I do have a complete left-hand fastback quarter panel cut that should have the bracket you’re looking for still attached. If you would please PM me your phone number I’ll call you and text pictures.
Thanks, Karl Moser
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:39:39 AM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »
I may also have a pair if you get stuck and want to PM me.

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
Jim,

Outstanding effort and contribution to a fellow member’s request - you went above and beyond!

Your drafting skills apparently come so easy to you that you spent approx. an hour on the photos, write up, AND the blueprint?? Incredible.

Very impressive. Seeing a guy do something like that for someone else is why this Forum is such an amazing asset to us all.

I’m looking for the “clinking beer mugs” emoji again!!

Kieth

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
Hi Dynomax,
I happen to be working on my 65 Fastback and this part of my car is wide open, so I took the opportunity for some photos and measurements. I don't think it would be too hard to fabricate this bracket. I'd tackle this with a piece of 11-gauge steel, a jigsaw, vice, drill, ball peen hammer and some files to smooth it out.

The floor area where the bracket is welded slopes back from level at 8-degrees. The wall behind slopes back at 19 degrees. I created a 3-view dimension drawing for the passenger side bracket. The driver side is the reverse.

I suspect it would be pretty easy to find someone who can weld a bit better than was done on my car.

I don’t know if you will find this useful, but it kept me entertained for an hour or so. Smooth roads!

Your effort to help is a excellent example of what this forum is all about. Good karma to you.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »
Jim Herrud,

For the fun of it I tried solid modeling this bracket using your drawing and there are two dimensions I need to accurately finish the model.  If it is convenient could you get me these two dimensions?

Corey

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
I have nothing to add except Kudos to Jim and Corey (you'll just have to imagine the clinking beer mugs here  8))
Wow!!
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »
Too be honest, that post took me a bit more than an hour, but I was so "busy" that it got me out of dish washing duty.
(just kidding - we ate out last night).

Thx for the kind words. I was a silent SAAC member for several years, just leaching off everyone else's great forum information to help me with my Mustang restomod. I decided to jump in the pool after the 2018 Forum Meltdown. Thought it was time to try to contribute where I can.

Corey, I'll get you those dimensions after I get home tonight.
Shelby Buff.

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »
By the way Corey - CAD modeling that piece is pretty cool. Can you reverse the design to model the driver side, too?

Maybe Dynomax can use the files to create billet pieces! ;)
Shelby Buff.