News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

are you looking for a decent alternative to TireRacks poor 14" tire selection ?

Started by zray, March 17, 2019, 06:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

I wasn't into the "Valley scene" too much. It was a run.  However, So Ca was a place where you could network and you could get anything done. If you couldn't find someone to do it, someone knew someone who did. Torrance had a pretty good group too.  I used to go over and talk to Little Joe at Shelby's Gardena location. Every once in a while the man would drop in himself.
As for competent machinist; worth their salt have passed or long given up working.

Here in the DFW area it's difficult to find anyone that knows anything about the FE.  It's a shot in the dark, and machinist in general that seems to be the case.
                                                                      -Keith

67 GT350

It totally hard to get things done well anymore. I am right now in Upstate New York, our county is the best in the country for people who want to move where "help" from the county/state is plentiful, we have the best handouts out there! Like I said we are in competition with California to see who can run the state the "stupidest!" Nobody want to work anymore. My Boss 302 was a basket case, it went to 4 deadbeat "body/restoration" shops, in my area, before I found out that my old shop and trusted Shelby restorer was still doing cars! He saved my car! And that is why, older cars are loosing value, there is nobody left to restore them.
RARE  Signature Delete

NC TRACKRAT

Getting back on topic and following up on my selection for new tires on 6S1467, I was able to source 5 ea. BF Goodrich Touring T/A's in 195/70x14.  They discontinued this blackwall tire a couple of years ago but some stock still remains and at a very reasonable price compared to the Radial T/A. This is a T-speed rated tire with a much different and improved tread pattern over the Radial T/A which is only S-rated.  After installation yesterday, I'm pleased with the result in that the tires are very close to the original dimensions of the Goodyear Bluestreak. The car now sits at least an inch lower than when shod with the 205/70x14's...in fact, with the 10-spokes, I measured the actual, on-the-ground height of the tire right at 24 inches.
5S071, 6S1467

427heaven

We took a detour wondering through the woods for a bit... Back to the tires, going to 15s makes the selection so much better, and very cost affective as well.

NC TRACKRAT

Agreed...and it allows rationalization to buy a set of new wheels! ;)
5S071, 6S1467

Side-Oilers

Apologies for the side trip through the woods, but we heard that Grandma had a long-lost 427 Cobra in her barn.

Glad your search for tires/wheels ended up good.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model