The Official SAAC Forum
November 21, 2017, 08:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out "What's Your Beef?" on saac.com  (Read 19043 times)
Computerworks
Administrator

Email
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »

Be sure to read the latest SAACgacity (the semi-regular column on www.saac.com).

"What's Your Beef?"

Do some things just "getcha" when you hear them? In this edition, Rick Kopec does a send-up, Leno-style, of a few things that gets him.

>Click here to read the latest SAACgacity<

The carry-over part alone will surely beg some comments...Use this thread to discuss the article.

CaptDave

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »

Somebody must have set Rick off.  Another good one.

CaptDave

Hurricane Irene 0 / CaptDave 1
GT200 Pinto

AMERICA No apology necessary

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »

Yep all good points as usual. My beef is Limited Edition which means we'll limit the edition once we've saturated the marked. This is the main reason I bailed out of the list to get a new GT-500 once the production numbers kept rising I saw it as no longer limited or collectable.

Tom H

turbonut48
Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »

MY BEEF !

Is it just me, or are the "Elenore" cars another item thats being overhyped as a collectable. I think theyre ugly for one, and just because it looks like a car in a movie doesnt make it valuable. And a remade movie at that, If that was the case the Mad Max vehicles would have a big following.
My Opinion.  Like A***oles , everybodies got one.

The Nut    HeadSpin

1968 GT350-Lime Gold Green
FFR Daytona Coupe
Bill Collins

5006 - Again being abused, just like in the 1970's

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »

How about "Tribute car", "Continuation car", "Clone car", "Replica example", "Interpretation", "Adaptation"......I could go on and on......All euphemisms for what we back in the old days simply called "fake".  Roll Eyes

I guess if you build or buy something that's a knockoff of a cheap car, it's a fake; but if it's a knockoff of an expensive marque you get to call it one of the above.  Grin

Owner of 5S006 since 1971, CSX2188 1979-2016, 401365 since 2006
ITHERTZ

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »

My Beef is the term, "Frame Off Restoration".  How many Mustangs and other unibody cars have been described this way??  Way too many.  Even some of the best restoration and customization shops incorrectly use this term when describing Mustangs that THEY rebuilt.  This drives me a bit crazy.

Then there is the guy we all know who professes to know everything about a certain type or year-span of car (including yours), and touts off incorrect facts with all degree of certainty as if he were God himself.  Knowing he is " dead wrong", is of no use to this person as he is always right (in his eye, anyway).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:44:04 AM by ITHERTZ » Logged

DKS RACING

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »

My Beef is the term, "Frame Off Restoration".  How many Mustangs and other unibody cars have been described this way??  Way too many.  Even some of the best restoration and customization shops incorrectly use this term when describing Mustangs that THEY rebuilt.  This drives me a bit crazy.

You  beat me  to  it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I  couldn't  take  anymore  and  asked  one  guy  to  please  show  me  how  they  "took  the  body  of  the  frame  of  his  65  Fastback"Huh?Huh? He  said  he  didn't  now,but  the  shop  told  him  they  did, I  told  him  the  "frame"  was  welded  to  the  body,he  sure  was  disappointed  then..........

David

RodKnock

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:10:29 AM »

How about "Tribute car", "Continuation car", "Clone car", "Replica example", "Interpretation", "Adaptation"......I could go on and on......All euphemisms for what we back in the old days simply called "fake".  Roll Eyes

I guess if you build or buy something that's a knockoff of a cheap car, it's a fake; but if it's a knockoff of an expensive marque you get to call it one of the above.  Grin

Replicas and clones are what they were called when I was young. "Tribute" drives me nuts. All the other names have been generated in the last few years.

I own a fake Cobra. but I try not sound rich and/or elitist.

GT200 Pinto

AMERICA No apology necessary

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »

Then there is the guy we all know who professes to know everything about a certain type or year-span of car (including yours), and touts off incorrect facts with all degree of certainty as if he were God himself.  

This just shows he read Wally W's book

Chris B

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »

Along the lines of the debates on running changes to the cars, when did "changeover" and "carryover" become acceptable lingo for describing cars.

We must get this documentation correct!!!! Wink

5S386

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »

How about the "Instant Collectable" series?  Such as a Hot Wheels car, which only 500 were built at first, and then sold "instantly" for a very, very high price.  And afterwards, about 5,000 more were built and sold until the market was saturated.

HeadSpin

shlby66

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:20:03 PM »

venomous67,

May I direct your attention to the 1997 Shelby American World Registry, Pages 426, beginning with paragraph 9 (" Job 1" )
and Page 427, the entire page. Cool

shlby66

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »

Lets see.....According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word "Replica" is defined as: "an exact duplicate of the original". So this eliminates all the
                                                                                                             pretenders (fakes).
                                                                   And

the word  "Clone"  is defined as: "to make an identical copy of ". And this also eliminates all the
                                                                                                             pretenders (fakes).

Unfortunately, these  two words have been used improperly ever since the kit cars showed up as well as the fake Shelbys.  Now, we are
unindated with a ton of euphemisms, used to somehow, create legitimacy and worth to these fakes. Angry

sfm5s350

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »

what really makes me mad is when i park the car at a car show, some" know-it-all" will say "wow, that is the nicest looking fake i have ever seen!"i usually try to ignore coments left by these pin heads.sometimes i will ask "how do you know?" they look puzzled and say something intelligent like ,that is not a real shelby tag or i am not real sure?! i will pretend to be interested in the car and ask them to show me what is fake. they look for a while, scratch their head and look at me again and walk away.  Hysterical

R Code

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

What's my beef?

I don't like having to press 1 for English.

- Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!