Author Topic: Unique Colored 1969 Shelby GT350  (Read 5455 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Unique Colored 1969 Shelby GT350
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
Today, I visited my friend Hunter Willard, well know Shelby restorer.  It's always fun to see what he has in his shop.  So I just wanted to post some pictures of this really cool 1969 Shelby that is owned by a customer of his.  This gentleman has owned it since 1974.  Hunter tells me this is not 'Grabber Yellow', but instead it is a WT code car.  This yellow is much brighter than Grabber in person.  Hands down one of the coolest Shelby's I've ever seen.  Pretty sure it's rare according to the Coralsnake:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Colored 1969 Shelby GT350
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
Hunter also now owns this unique 1968 Mustang color code WT9810.  I remembered seeing it previously on the excellent Coralsnake website:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/WT9810

It needs work, but I love it.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »
Lastly, Check out the unique 1969 Rose colored Mach 1.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »
Every year has a couple crazy cars...the coolest might be Special Ed’s purple or the Gold 1969 with a gold interior!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:57:30 PM by Coralsnake »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
Those were the days when you could pay a small fee and Ford will paint your Car any color you want.  There is actually a 71-73 Mach 1 that was painted a Chevy Redish Orange color.  I wish Ford would bring that back because I would love a new Mustang in "Gotta Have It Green".

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
Hunter also now owns this unique 1968 Mustang color code WT9810.  I remembered seeing it previously on the excellent Coralsnake website:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/WT9810

It needs work, but I love it.

Great car. Looks familiar.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
Just to be clear, that was the case with Mustangs, but not Shelbys.

Unless you were the president of Goodyear your Shelby was going to be one of the colors they already had on hand.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
Great pics, Brian - thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
Correct pete In order to get my special order paint midnite orchid metalic 69 gt500 drag pack W-code loaded convertible built to match his wife new 69 T-bird regular production colored midnite orchid metallic (purple) car for his & hers matching purple cars the shelby dealer & wealthy couple special ordering these cars used  family friend Robert Lowe (president goodyear tire) akron ohio name to order the car for them. There were extra notes on shelby cobra letterheads with the shelby invoice & the notes had rush order  & special paint info & other info on the notes & nobody ever seen those type papers with the invoices. Ford pulled a grabber blue ordered gt500 vert & had paperwork changed over to the special ordered purple & door tag color is blank (since its special ordered paint) & the build sheet has all the special order paint codes on bottom remarks area of build sheet.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
Lastly, Check out the unique 1969 Rose colored Mach 1.

For a moment I thought that was a fold back center section soft top.
Call me crazy, but I really like this Iris / Rose color on it.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »
Just to be clear, that was the case with Mustangs, but not Shelbys.

Unless you were the president of Goodyear your Shelby was going to be one of the colors they already had on hand.
Don't forget about the 1970 GT500 that was painted by mistake a purple color. A different purple then Ed's 69 car. Apparently a series of Cougars for a promotion were being painted at the same time somehow this one Shelby got painted the same color as the Cougars were being painted . It was meant to be Grabber Green . By the time the mistake was discovered it was apparently too late to correct the problem (partial build ,full build who knows) Ford asked Shelby in memos if the car was special ordered for a customer and if not would they take the car in the special color. It was not and Shelby accepted the special color so Ford sent the completed body to AO Smith with 5 gallons ??? of the special paint. Who knows why so much paint. It was probably enough paint to paint 10 groups of fiberglass parts for a Shelby.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby