Author Topic: Hood Peak Molding and Hood Grates  (Read 2750 times)

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Hood Peak Molding and Hood Grates
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »
I've decided this is finally the year to put my original, restored hood on my car.   

Is it feasible to weld some fold-over tabs on to an older, reproduction peak molding?  The one I have is currently screwed to the underside of my repro hood and the screws are not in the original locations.  I also have a dented original peak molding that is missing the tabs (broken off).  I would rather not buy the newer, incorrect repro peak molding with screws for $300.   

Also, what type of adhesive should I use to glue the rear grates on the 2 rear hood scoops?  Was this adhesive painted black along with the underside of the hood?  If not, what color was the original adhesive? 

Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Hood Peak Molding and Hood Grates
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
I've decided this is finally the year to put my original, restored hood on my car.   

Is it feasible to weld some fold-over tabs on to an older, reproduction peak molding?  The one I have is currently screwed to the underside of my repro hood and the screws are not in the original locations.  I also have a dented original peak molding that is missing the tabs (broken off).  I would rather not buy the newer, incorrect repro peak molding with screws for $300.   

Also, what type of adhesive should I use to glue the rear grates on the 2 rear hood scoops?  Was this adhesive painted black along with the underside of the hood?  If not, what color was the original adhesive? 

Thanks.
Originally it appeared to be a epoxy type product. I have used JB weld the grills. They were put on after the hood was painted so there was no overspray on them when new.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob. 

What color should the 4 hood grills be painted?  Is it the same color as the front grill and top side of fog light support (argent) ? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob. 

What color should the 4 hood grills be painted?  Is it the same color as the front grill and top side of fog light support (argent) ?
Technically they were not painted but the mesh material they were cut from had a electro applied finish . With that said if yours are in need of cosmetic attention then a satin black finish is what they looked like new so make them look like that however you do it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Upon further review, I think I will buy a new hood peak molding for my original hood that will be getting painted soon.  My old repro molding is in rougher shape than I thought.  Has anyone used one of Branda's newer style peak moldings with the threaded screws instead of fold over tabs?  Were you happy with the fit and finish? 

Also, I need to buy 4 hood grates.  Who makes the best looking reproductions? 

Thanks.   

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
Something to remember when installing is that it was not uncommon for A O Smith to use a thin double sided tape to help hold down the hood peak molding besides the fold over tab's. 

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »
Something to remember when installing is that it was not uncommon for A O Smith to use a thin double sided tape to help hold down the hood peak molding besides the fold over tab's.

I used 3M outdoor double faced tape on mine...So far so good... :)  I installed several peak moldings (Ford) back in the 70's and they came with double sided tape attached.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »

I used 3M outdoor double faced tape on mine...So far so good... :)  I installed several peak moldings (Ford) back in the 70's and they came with double sided tape attached.

TOB

The Branda peak molding comes with screws, which hopefully would match up to the slots in OEM hood for securing the molding.  Do you think I could get away with only double sided tape and eliminate the screws? 

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
How about weld  tabs with tig welder ?
Or make screwin tabs ?
What is the screws size ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:37:56 PM by Shelbypat »

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
Good questions.  I don't know what the screw size is of the branda part.  I will ask the shop about tig welding.   

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 12:21:40 AM »
I have some of the older SHelby Parts and Restoration hood molding with the tabs.