Author Topic: 1969 under dash stop light harness troubles  (Read 4002 times)

jagbucket

• View Profile
1969 under dash stop light harness troubles
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
I have no stop lights yet .. this has been a long build and finally have the car in a driving condition only to realize that the stop lights do not work , running lights yes, signals are trying have a new board for that. Before i install the new circuit board i want the stop lights sorted.
     Following the wiring diagram wire #10 from the 15Amp breaker in the consul seems to go direct to the stop switch but when checking continuity with the stop switch connector disconnected i have continuity to the turn signal green wire (511) at the center of the switch to the #10 wire and at the left/right side stop feeds in the trunk without the stop switch engaged or the connector even on the switch

ive now got the dash pad back off and in the process of physically tracing the harness for the #10/511 wire route . These counsel harnesses are aftermarket and have had other problems but i thought that was behind me. hoping that Pete or someone with intimate knowledge of this can chime in, in the mean time im taking things apart again 

Even if none can assist it helps me get things in order by posting   hate wiring and i know im not alone in that so I ll post back if progress is made     

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Re: 1969 under dash stop light harness troubles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
Test the turn signal switch in the steering column.  The brake light circuit passes through the t/s switch. 

If the Green wire into the box (trunk) is showing full voltage, then the
problem could be in the trunk box. BUT, if the taillight wire in trunk
(Green/Orn or Orn/Blu) is not powered when the brakes only are on for that
side, then the problem is in the turn signal switch area.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:42:26 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

jagbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
thank you yes i was checking there at the ts and that is related to where to problem was that i just found : the shelby adaptor ts harness was not making contact on the green 511 wire not broken just refused to complete the circuit on the mid harness pulled pins apart looked at it put back together and it  worked, i now have stop lamps with a torn apart dash.   dont trust it but i know where the problem is and i wont have to take the dash apart to get at it might try a drop of soder on it acted like the wire was broke but could not feel a break in it.

the continuity issue was not an issue feeding through ground i guess.   feeling much better now  thanks for reading

jagbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
testing picture   not the result i expected and i was unable to correct or see before posting.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:13:16 PM by jagbucket »