The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 01:52:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby on the Beach  (Read 5214 times)
shelbydoug

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 05:14:46 AM »

In retrospect to what these cars have become it seems impossible to me now that anyone actually used them for everyday transportation back then? Seems just like chasing rainbows and fantasy clouds to me? Thanks for posting Deb.  Grin

"buy it or watch it go by"
shlby66

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »

Well, we did use them for everyday transportation back then. Going to work, running errands, vacation trips, just cruising around, it didn't matter, because thats all I had to drive. My '67 GT350 was just the family car. Lucky me! Chug a Lug

Tom H

turbonut48
Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »

I remember driving to work in my MGA when I was 19. I d see a Cobra roadster everyday, being used as a everyday driver. Sport Car drivers always wave to each other, and so we did.
A lasting memory.

The Nut    HeadSpin

1968 GT350-Lime Gold Green
FFR Daytona Coupe
shelbydoug

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »

Of course we did. It's just difficult to accept that.

I bought my 68 GT350 because I was going to go to grad school at Columbia and I needed a car that would lock so I could park it on the street. I couldn't figure out how to lock up a 427 Cobra.

I let my mother drive the car while she was waiting for her new 73 pinto to be delivered. I had a truck to drive to work then. She'd come back with a story everyday about the car. There was the one guy that was coveting all of the scoops in the parking lot at the shopping center. Then the police car that wanted to race her.

What a dumb ass I am, on so many accounts! Roll Eyes ...some things never change?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:49:33 PM by shelbydoug » Logged

jguyer

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »

I drove my KR convertible up and down the Lake Huron beach  at Grand Bend, Ontario the summer of '69. I think that's what caused the right lower ball joint to fail prematurely because when you were going south the right wheel was often in the water. I wouldn't think of doing that now, but it was part of growing up. Like not declaring liquor at the border, then they just poured the rum down the drain. Now I would probably be charged with some kind of terrorist act.

Computerworks
Administrator

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

In retrospect to what these cars have become it seems impossible to me now that anyone actually used them for everyday transportation back then? Seems just like chasing rainbows and fantasy clouds to me? Thanks for posting Deb.  Grin

I know....sigh.

My '66 was a daily driver in NY...drove to school in Brooklyn. Put about 80k miles on it.
Mounted snow tires on the 10-spokes in the winter...they were great for strap-on chains...went right thru the spokes.  Grin

Used a bumper hitch to pull a small U-Haul trailer when needed. Parked and locked it on the street; lived in Queens with no garage.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:40:38 PM by Computerworks » Logged
shelbydoug

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »

I was going to ask you about the chains too?  Grin

Maybe impossible isn't the right word...how 'bout improbable?

I suppose then as now...truth is stranger then fiction?

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »

Shelbys go pretty well in the snow  you all should try it some time !

shelbydoug

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »

Shelbys go pretty well in the snow  you all should try it some time !

Hysterical

Yep, they make great bobsleds. The only problem is when you get to the bottom of the hill you have to push them all the way back up to get another ride! Grin

Hysterical

vetman1989

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »

I used to drive my 68 Corvette Conv. all year aroubnd in Jersey. I would put the hard top on some snows in the back and the way I went. I had 2 -5.0 Stangs that I had snows for. R-Code gave me an extra set of wheels off his fathers Merkur X4Ti and mounted a set of Dunlap Snow Tire on my 86 GT and drove all winter from Jersy to Suffren NY to go to work. By the time I got my 89 Vette I didn't need to drive it in the bad weather anymore but one time I got stuck at work duringa freak snow storm and what an experience driving home with 315/35 17 Goodyears trying to get traction.

cobrajeff
SAAC Registrar

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 05:43:48 AM »

I bought my first '66 GT350 in 1971.   I used it as a daily driver for only one year.  In 1972, I bought my Dad's '71 BOSS 351, parked the GT350 in a rented garage, and used the BOSS as my daily driver.  When I bought my second GT350 in 1973, I was still renting garages to store my Shelbys in.   In 1974, I settled down, got married, and rented a house with a two-car garage (where the two GT350s resided - the BOSS had to sit outside).  Finally was able to keep all my babies at home with me.

Jeff

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!