The Official SAAC Forum
December 15, 2017, 01:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Dual Four Intake  (Read 539 times)
PBF

Email
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »

So as not to hi-jack another thread, I'll continue my inquiry here.

I understand that the C7ZX-A dual four intake is often encountered on the '67 GT500, but, were there instances where the earlier 427 L.R. (C3 or C5) unit was used on original installations?   

Thank you, Scott.   

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »

So as not to hi-jack another thread, I'll continue my inquiry here.

I understand that the C7ZX-A dual four intake is often encountered on the '67 GT500, but, were there instances where the earlier 427 L.R. (C3 or C5) unit was used on original installations?   

Thank you, Scott.   
There are no instances that I am aware of that the C3 or C5 LR 427 duel four intake was used on a regular production 67 GT500.  At least two of the three 427 GT500's used a sidewinder intake . That is the only intake variation I have known about on the 67 GT500. Possibly Dave Mathews the 67 SAAC registrar has some more insight.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
PBF

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »

Realizing that the C7ZX-A type intake was produced both with, and without such casting identification; is there any knowledge of right or wrong with or without such?

And, since you brought up the "Sidewinder" unit (as installed), it was available as a C6 (more often encountered) or C7 casting numbered units?

Thank you, Scott.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »

Realizing that the C7ZX-A type intake was produced both with, and without such casting identification; is there any knowledge of right or wrong with or without such?

And, since you brought up the "Sidewinder" unit (as installed), it was available as a C6 (more often encountered) or C7 casting numbered units?

Thank you, Scott.
Scott,the C7ZX marked intake would be what is expected on a regular production 67 GT500.  At least 2 427 factory considered installations that used complete GT40 "light weight" engines that were most likely left over from from the previous year would IMO have the C6 marked sidewinder intake.

PBF

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »

Thank you again for your responses.

Interestingly, I believe it is generally accepted that the C7ZX-A version less casting indication is the proper unit for the '66-'67 427 Fairlane (yes, different animal, I know).

So, to further expound (fishing) without any true evidence (nor the presence of date codes), I may conclude that the castings less the C7ZX-A casting identifier may have been originally produced for the 427 M.R. engine applications beginning in 1966 and as found on Fairlanes equipped with such; and as an intake adopted for the 428 engine in the GT500 for 1967 (Shelby searching the Ford parts bins), with a production dedicated to Shelby received the casting nomenclature. Why? Perhaps some revision to the casting as compared to the M.R. intended unit? I have not noted any difference (but I have been known to "miss the forest for the trees"). Or just modifications/maintenance to the casting boxes due to the extended production requirements, or to identify production dedicated for an outside vendor (Shelby)?

And just to really muck-up the process there is the C7AE-9425-A unit also.

How's that for a fishing expedition?   HeadSpin

Scott.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:04:10 AM by PBF » Logged
Bob Gaines

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

Thank you again for your responses.

Interestingly, I believe it is generally accepted that the C7ZX-A version less casting indication is the proper unit for the '66-'67 427 Fairlane (yes, different animal, I know).

So, to further expound (fishing) without any true evidence (nor the presence of date codes), I may conclude that the castings less the C7ZX-A casting identifier may have been originally produced for the 427 M.R. engine applications beginning in 1966 and as found on Fairlanes equipped with such; and as an intake adopted for the 428 engine in the GT500 for 1967 (Shelby searching the Ford parts bins), with a production dedicated to Shelby received the casting nomenclature. Why? Perhaps some revision to the casting as compared to the M.R. intended unit? I have not noted any difference (but I have been known to "miss the forest for the trees"). Or just modifications/maintenance to the casting boxes due to the extended production requirements, or to identify production dedicated for an outside vendor (Shelby)?

And just to really muck-up the process there is the C7AE-9425-A unit also.

How's that for a fishing expedition?   HeadSpin

Scott.
Glad to help. Fortunately it is a simply choice for 67 GT500 with the C7ZX marked intake compared to other applications.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!