The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you identify this vin stamp on my transmission?  (Read 900 times)
evantugby

Email
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »

Transmission Vin Stamping:  6H01G659954.  The transmission tag is HEH-BV 012745.  Bell housing part number:  C5DA-6394A. 

Have not been able to 100% authenticate what vehicle this vin belonged to.  tpocr.com website suggests it came from a 1966 Ford Fairlane.  If you decode the vin to a 1966 fairlane you will get 1966 year, manufactured in Lorain, OH, 2-dr Sedan.  However the G cannot be identified from this website for the engine code.

Question 1:  Why is the "G" not listed?
Question 2:  Which engine code does "G" identify?
Question 3:  Why is a Fairlane receiving a vin stamp in the first place?
Question 4:  Does this vin stamp look authentic from Ford?
Question 5:  Is it possible this transmission could have a Canadian vin number?  If so, any references?

Thanks,
Evan  

* IMG_6218.jpg (79.66 KB, 800x600 - viewed 123 times.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:24:49 PM by evantugby » Logged

Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang, K-code Fastback, Signal Flare Red, Black interior, 4-speed
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang, A-code Coupe, Wimbledon White, Red interior, Automatic
69mach351w
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

G engine code by Ford is a 69/70 Boss 302.

'69 Mach1 MCA Concours Conservator #105
Been in Family since Jan.'70
mistabreez

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »

I don't recall the engine code being stamped on the transmission case,only a partial V.I.N., more likely a "6".
This trans also used in 1966 Falcons.

C.J.

P.S.  I believe "G" engine code was also used for a particular 406c.i. engine in a full size Ford in early sixties.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:49:33 PM by mistabreez » Logged
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »

Depends on the plant and year as to full or particle VIN being stamped on the transmission in my experience. Plenty of 65's and other year Ford products with full vins in that location

Looks like the stamp shows 6H01C599540

Appears to be from a 1966 built at Lorain, Ohio

Falcon Club Coupe /Comet 202   - 2 door sedan with a 289 2V

Based on what I see in a 1967 Motor Vehicle Identification Manual printed by the NATB

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
evantugby

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »

Depends on the plant and year as to full or particle VIN being stamped on the transmission in my experience. Plenty of 65's and other year Ford products with full vins in that location

Looks like the stamp shows 6H01C599540

Appears to be from a 1966 built at Lorain, Ohio

Falcon Club Coupe /Comet 202   - 2 door sedan with a 289 2V

Based on what I see in a 1967 Motor Vehicle Identification Manual printed by the NATB

I've had other people believe the "G" was a "C" but to me it's clearly a G. Let's pretend it is a C however, why would Ford have vin stamped this transmission in this particular vehicle? 

Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang, K-code Fastback, Signal Flare Red, Black interior, 4-speed
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang, A-code Coupe, Wimbledon White, Red interior, Automatic
SAAC Member

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:15 PM »

That is a G

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »

I've had other people believe the "G" was a "C" but to me it's clearly a G. Let's pretend it is a C however, why would Ford have vin stamped this transmission in this particular vehicle? 

It was common practice for Ford to stamp all four speeds that year and in earlier years.

The G verses the C must then just be a mistake by the stamper - not the first time we've seen this

Jeff Speegle
harris speedster

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »

I may be an old junk yard dog, but sure looks like a G.

I think I am correct in saying that no BOSS Mustang had a 500,000 sequence.

Now a Boss 302 Cougar, that's different.
Mercury started at 500,000>>> please correct me if I am wrong?

My old Boss 302 Eliminator, used to call it the sperminator, was in the 500,000 unit numbers, if my memory serves me correctly.

Sold it in Michigan, back around 1996. Raced it, launched at 8K many times, 4:56 gears, she was really talking at the end of the quarter mile
Happy Holidays,
John

Is this the first futuristic Exotic Supercar in the world.
No higher, longer, heavier or wider than a AC Cobra.

http://www.harrisspeedster.com/harris.html
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=11958.0
evantugby

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »

It was common practice for Ford to stamp all four speeds that year and in earlier years.

The G verses the C must then just be a mistake by the stamper - not the first time we've seen this

Common practice for Ford to stamp four speeds in 1966?! That's news to me. Why didn't they vin stamp all the 1966 toploaders in non-kcode cars?

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »

Common practice for Ford to stamp four speeds in 1966?! That's news to me. Why didn't they vin stamp all the 1966 toploaders in non-kcode cars?

Have seen trans stamped on other (non-K code)examples. For example 427 cars

To be more exacting here is a quote/scan of a national vehicle thief handbook from the period

Jeff Speegle
evantugby

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »

J Speagle,
Interesting primary source document.  This document discusses vin stamp derivatives being stamped on high performance engines and transmissions by 1964 and not until 1968 were manufactures stamping vins on everything else.  So the question remains:  Why would a 1966 non-HiPo toploader be vin stamped?  And what is the "G" signify in terms of the powerplant?   

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »

J Speagle,
Interesting primary source document.  This document discusses vin stamp derivatives being stamped on high performance engines and transmissions by 1964 and not until 1968 were manufactures stamping vins on everything else.  So the question remains:  Why would a 1966 non-HiPo toploader be vin stamped?  And what is the "G" signify in terms of the powerplant?   

According to the feds that year and in documents published in 67 and 68 no Ford engine received a "G" which IMHO  suggest that it was a mistake like I mentioned earlier. Don't think its a mistamped (other letters or numbers in the stamp) considering its a HEH-BV as the OP posted

Jeff Speegle
evantugby

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »

According to the feds that year and in documents published in 67 and 68 no Ford engine received a "G" which IMHO  suggest that it was a mistake like I mentioned earlier. Don't think its a mistamped (other letters or numbers in the stamp) considering its a HEH-BV as the OP posted

J_Speegle,

I am not quite understanding your second sentence.  What do you mean?

Also, certainly plausible that the G should have been a C.  They look almost identical.  Still, why stamp 6H01C599540 onto a non-HiPo toploader in 1966 when only HiPo blocks/transmissions were receiving stamped vins at that time?

Sir, I do want to mention you've been a big help.  I appreciate the continued responses and your time into this mystery of mine. 

69mach351w
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »

The last I checked, a mistamp was a mistake HeadSpin

'69 Mach1 MCA Concours Conservator #105
Been in Family since Jan.'70
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »

................... Still, why stamp 6H01C599540 onto a non-HiPo toploader in 1966 when only HiPo blocks/transmissions were receiving stamped vins at that time?

Sir, I do want to mention you've been a big help.  I appreciate the continued responses and your time into this mystery of mine. 

Not sure why you concluded only HiPos were stamped that year. They were not the only high performance engine being produced that year. 

Or another possibility is that someone thought it (what ever this trans was in) should have a VIN and the PO stamped it - and possibly wrong.  Or that a PO thought this was a good way to insuring that if stolen this would help in the recovery as it would be with other transmissions (including examples from other car makers) that were stamped. 

There are a number of possibilities but we're never going to know for sure I believe at this point 50 years later

Jeff Speegle
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!