The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hood Overspray for 1965 GT350  (Read 959 times)
nightmist67

Email
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

I am about to have some paint work done on my 1965 GT350 based on its Concours Division II judging sheets from several years ago.  One item cited was the lack of body color overspray on the underside of the hood.  I have received conflicting advice as to how/if this should be addressed.  Is this a real judging issue for Division II cars, and if so, exactly how much (light, heavy coat) should be applied and on what area(s)/structure should it be visible on the underside of the hood?

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »

I am about to have some paint work done on my 1965 GT350 based on its Concours Division II judging sheets from several years ago.  One item cited was the lack of body color overspray on the underside of the hood.  I have received conflicting advice as to how/if this should be addressed. 

Just in case and to construct a better response to your question, could you provide your cars VIN or possibly a range if your unwilling to share?

Is this a real judging issue for Division II cars, and if so, exactly how much (light, heavy coat) should be applied and on what area(s)/structure should it be visible on the underside of the hood?

Yes finishes on parts, paint and body work are all important issues for any car being shown

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »

Weren't the 65 Shelbys delivered to SA without hoods? If so, the hoods were painted (both sides) at SA.
The only overspray would in that case be the Le Mans stripes painted at SA. It looks like some hood under
sides were painted body color i.e. white and others black. Have only seen white on port hole all fiber glass
hoods.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »

Weren't the 65 Shelbys delivered to SA without hoods? If so, the hoods were painted (both sides) at SA.
The only overspray would in that case be the Le Mans stripes painted at SA. It looks like some hood under
sides were painted body color i.e. white and others black. Have only seen white on port hole all fiber glass
hoods.
Texas Swede
I have typically seen all fiberglass hoods painted black and or bare fiberglass underside .  In those cases body color overspray on the underside. I have also seen all fiberglass hoods painted white on the underside (port hole) just way less of that way. I have always assumed that the unpainted hoods came from the vendors ether painted black underside or bare fiberglass underside.  On the steel innerstructure hoods I have seen predominately purpose painted body color undersides. Others may have different observations.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

Weren't the 65 Shelbys delivered to SA without hoods? .........

Yes other than a few "special cars" - would guess that the PO is not asking about one of those

Interested in when his car was built and in turn what hood it originally had before I start posting examples rather than confusing the issue with unrelated stuff    Chug a Lug

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
gt350hr

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »

My experience mirrors Bob and Jeff. Porthole hoods "mostly" white . Steel frame glass hood , early black and late style "mostly" black , and all steel (Pidgeon Mfg) hoods body color. Over spray was not an issue ( by my eyes) on the black underside hoods "in the day".

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
nightmist67

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »

The vehicle in question is a low 300's serial number car with trunk mounted battery.

caspian65

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:25 AM »

The vehicle in question is a low 300's serial number car with trunk mounted battery.

What style hood do you have?

nightmist67

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »

Steel frame with fiberglass hood.

5S386

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:19:06 PM »

#386 was white, under the steel frame/ fiberglass hood

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!