The Official SAAC Forum
December 15, 2017, 01:03:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCACN Nov 17-18 2018  (Read 1615 times)
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it, it’s a “Capital” idea

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 11:34:55 AM »

Since I live about an hour from the show, sleeping and housing were not issues.  I could not believe how easy it was upon arrival. I did arrive at my scheduld time. A drive through the pre-stage lot. No other tailers or cars waiting.  Pick up the "get into the building ticket".  Roll to the door.  Nobody else in the off-trailer area.  Park the car close the where they wanted it.  Seems the fellows over at the trailer parking area were from the same town so I go a nice spot for the trailer.
  My only issue was that there was a lot of confusion about were my car was to be (not the only one) (supposedly the "class of 67") but was placed away from there.  The "other Ford" got displaced also, so, the "Class of 67'" display was three Buick GS's, a Corvette, and three 442's.  And or whatever reason, there was an Insurance vendor in the middle of that! Oh, the three Mopars were on the back side of that.
   I arrived at 9:45 AM and was not "parked" until 4:30.  And the stantions were not placed around my area (of four cars) until almost 9:00 AM Saturday morning.

Try and send in an application

It is still a show where owners will invite you over the railing to point out special details, or just chit-chat about the car.  No snobishness allowed.
  And Bob Perkins had his windowed trailer there just loaded with all the one-off Fomoco items you ever wanted to see.
   I too am a long time owner, 46 years now, but, just  the same, about 65500 miles on number 0036.  I know Mr Ashton prefers not to rerun cars.  So, next year? I don't know.

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
ed meyer

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »

Yes we were over three hours late (from all the traffic problems) but still got there in time fri. to unload & setup & many cars still came in later than us.  We got stuck in standing still new so. in. I-69 construction in Bloomington area causing us to get stuck in  all the  gary - Chicago 5 o'clock traffic & looseing one trailer in traffic trying to get around traffic shortcuts that didn't workout & it can be very frustrating keeping 2 trailers together with tool booths & all traffic coming in south thru gary in. thru all of Chicago traffic to the north side Chicago where the show is.

bashton

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »

Yes we were over three hours late (from all the traffic problems) but still got there in time fri. to unload & setup & many cars still came in later than us.  We got stuck in standing still new so. in. I-69 construction in Bloomington area causing us to get stuck in  all the  gary - Chicago 5 o'clock traffic & looseing one trailer in traffic trying to get around traffic shortcuts that didn't workout & it can be very frustrating keeping 2 trailers together with tool booths & all traffic coming in south thru gary in. thru all of Chicago traffic to the north side Chicago where the show is.

Ed; sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience at our show. The decision to place your cars where they were was mine, and I take full responsibility for that.

The display area for the Kar Kraft, the Mustang & Shelby Pinnacle and the Ford Drag Team were all set up to create a Ford and Shelby specific area, with considerable cross over between all three displays. The signage, as noted, was specific to each car. Again, all finalized by me. By mid afternoon I figured you were not coming and the last thing I want is an open spot. After we talked when you finally arrived very late Friday, you agreed that it made the most sense to place the Boss 9 Cougar in the selected spot along with the engine, to spotlight those as being stand-outs. We also agreed on the spot for the '70, as it was appropriate to have it as a stand-alone car, viewable on all four sides.

I feel I bent over backwards to accommodate you and your two great cars that were registered well after we were officially sold out, because I appreciate your efforts and of course, they are both truly outstanding cars that added a lot to the show. Your signage was appropriate to your cars, and I am sure everyone enjoyed having the opportunity to see them up close and in person.

Again, I apologize to you if you feel slighted.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

bashton

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

Uh oh, maybe I should think again about bringing my cars. Chug a Lug

We are far from perfect, as I consider the show a work in progress every year. and all year long. We do, however have an outstanding crew that works very hard to make it a great experience for everyone, whether participant or spectator. I can also honestly say, for every complaint we receive we get over 100 positive comments. As I always say, don't ask me..ask those that really do participate!

Thanks and hope you'll consider joining us.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

bashton

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

Since I live about an hour from the show, sleeping and housing were not issues.  I could not believe how easy it was upon arrival. I did arrive at my scheduld time. A drive through the pre-stage lot. No other tailers or cars waiting.  Pick up the "get into the building ticket".  Roll to the door.  Nobody else in the off-trailer area.  Park the car close the where they wanted it.  Seems the fellows over at the trailer parking area were from the same town so I go a nice spot for the trailer.
  My only issue was that there was a lot of confusion about were my car was to be (not the only one) (supposedly the "class of 67") but was placed away from there.  The "other Ford" got displaced also, so, the "Class of 67'" display was three Buick GS's, a Corvette, and three 442's.  And or whatever reason, there was an Insurance vendor in the middle of that! Oh, the three Mopars were on the back side of that.
   I arrived at 9:45 AM and was not "parked" until 4:30.  And the stantions were not placed around my area (of four cars) until almost 9:00 AM Saturday morning.

It is still a show where owners will invite you over the railing to point out special details, or just chit-chat about the car.  No snobishness allowed.
  And Bob Perkins had his windowed trailer there just loaded with all the one-off Fomoco items you ever wanted to see.
   I too am a long time owner, 46 years now, but, just  the same, about 65500 miles on number 0036.  I know Mr Ashton prefers not to rerun cars.  So, next year? I don't know.

Thanks for the kind words.

On the issue of parking in the Class of 1967 area or anywhere else for that matter...clearly stated in the multiple pages of information we send to our participants is that Thursday move-in is to get the vehicles into the building in the general area of where they will end up and not necesarily in the final assigned spot. Since cars come in at various times over the two-day move-in period, I don't finalize the exact placement until the cars for the special displays are all in the building. The Class of 1967 display had five big body Chevy's, seven SS Camaros and a Firebird, 13 Z28's, four Mopars, three Buicks, a Corvette, two 442's, a Fairlane and your Shelby, as I recall. The NCM Insurance booth was in the center of one of the blocks, as they were the Official Sponsor and they also brought in the Corvette. Yes..I am a control freak and yes, we made you wait. I hope it all made sense once everything was in place, because that area and all of the cars the display were awesome.

There is no doubt that the coolest part of the show is the interaction with the owners and the spectators. This is the "Super Bowl" or Pebble Beach of our hobby, but there is minimal ego and everyone comes together to share stories, knowledge and so much more. Many friendships are created or renewed at our show and that is what I consider the best part of it.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

bashton

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »

Just put in my application to,show my car at the 2018 MCACN Show in Chicago
I had contact Bob Ashton about a High Mileage/ and or Long Ownership (235,000 and will be 47 years of ownership next year) Anyone else going to apply?
It is an amazing show, if you ever wanted to go to a show this should be on the short list of “gotta go” ones

Looking forward to having you join us and again tell the many stories of your ownership and travels with your GT350H. The feedback we got when you showed in our Cars of Carroll Shelby Invitational were truly outstanding and that is why I invited you back as a participant for our 2018 Original/Long Term Owners and high mileage Muscle display!

Thanks and looking forward to having you join us.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »

First let me say it is not a cheap trip for me to get to the MCACN Show, it’s about a 1600-1700 mile round trip add in 4-5 days in hotels, meals, gas, etc. and it adds up quickly. So why should I put myself through such torture and expense, because it is worth it. Seeing all of the cars on display, meeting some fantastic people and having the honor of showing a car at the premier Muscle Car Show in the world makes it all worth it.
If the wife could drive the truck and trailer and the weather could be depended on to be cooperative I would drive the car there.
Like I said if you had only one car show to attend or show at, this would be the one

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »

We are far from perfect, as I consider the show a work in progress every year. and all year long. We do, however have an outstanding crew that works very hard to make it a great experience for everyone, whether participant or spectator. I can also honestly say, for every complaint we receive we get over 100 positive comments. As I always say, don't ask me..ask those that really do participate!

Thanks and hope you'll consider joining us.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I am talking to Bill Braun about it. Chug a Lug

SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »

Just do it, arrive either Thursday late or Friday early and you should have no problem
Would like to see the tankers

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »

Just do it, arrive either Thursday late or Friday early and you should have no problem
Would like to see the tankers

Thanks!  Not sure how many they want to have there, but I will pursue it. Chug a Lug

ed meyer

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

Bob A.  I think your show is the greatest muscle car event in the world & I am NOT unhappy & after I went to the first show I was hooked & told many car guys about your show & have gotten guys to bring there cars to the show over the years. Maybe rick c. didn't tell you I was on my way to the show but running late due to traffic as my last ph call from rick was around 6;30 & I was 20 mi. away but he said he was leaving to go to dinner. When I got to show there was only one spot left in the kk display & yes I agreed to put my 2 cars where they were since no other spots were open & wasn't told anything about the car that was covered up or why it was in the kk display.  Then sat. we seen the unveiling of a 69 Shelby in the kk display (of which we didnt know about).  I asked the KK book guys why they had a 69 Shelby in the display instead of my 70 KK Shelby & they didn't know why it was there either as I thought the KK book guys were in charge of the KK display as I had been talking to them all along about the show & since the 2 quarterhorses weren't coming I would fill in the 2 spots with my KK cars so what we didnt understand is why the 69 Shelby was in my assigned spot & where & why the 69 Shelby unveiling wasn't it its assigned spot.  I know it is a BIG & stressful job trying to get all those cars in that building with having trailer rigs coming all directions at all times but you do a GREAT job every year getting it done so keep it going & I will keep trying to get car guys to bring there rare cars to the MCACN.   Merry xmas to all.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:22:32 PM by ed meyer » Logged
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »

Bob does a wonderful job. We are all very fortunate to have such a great show. Thanks Bob, for you efforts. Please also thank you staff. I have always enjoyed the event and will continue to help if I can.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
bashton

Email
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »

Bob A.  I think your show is the greatest muscle car event in the world & I am NOT unhappy & after I went to the first show I was hooked & told many car guys about your show & have gotten guys to bring there cars to the show over the years. Maybe rick c. didn't tell you I was on my way to the show but running late due to traffic as my last ph call from rick was around 6;30 & I was 20 mi. away but he said he was leaving to go to dinner. When I got to show there was only one spot left in the kk display & yes I agreed to put my 2 cars where they were since no other spots were open & wasn't told anything about the car that was covered up or why it was in the kk display.  Then sat. we seen the unveiling of a 69 Shelby in the kk display (of which we didnt know about).  I asked the KK book guys why they had a 69 Shelby in the display instead of my 70 KK Shelby & they didn't know why it was there either as I thought the KK book guys were in charge of the KK display as I had been talking to them all along about the show & since the 2 quarterhorses weren't coming I would fill in the 2 spots with my KK cars so what we didnt understand is why the 69 Shelby was in my assigned spot & where & why the 69 Shelby unveiling wasn't it its assigned spot.  I know it is a BIG & stressful job trying to get all those cars in that building with having trailer rigs coming all directions at all times but you do a GREAT job every year getting it done so keep it going & I will keep trying to get car guys to bring there rare cars to the MCACN.   Merry xmas to all.

All good, Ed. Sometimes perspective can be a bit different for me, I felt the three Ford displays were somewhat weaved together, with the individual signs explaining what each car was. I can see how the KK display could be seen as a single display with one car kind of out of place, and I take full responsibility for making that decision on the placement of the unveiling Shelby. In hindsight, it probably would have made sense to kind of separate that from the others, but in all honety, I was so blown away by ALL of the cars in this area, along with the supercharged and F.I. Shelby's, that I may have been blinded by what may seem to be common sense. But then...nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the shed! lol

Anyway, as I said all is good and I hope we can count on you for your continued support and participation in the future, as we are really getting things going in the Ford, Shelby and even Mercury world and as you know, we can never have too many of them in the show.

Thanks;

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

bashton

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »

Bob does a wonderful job. We are all very fortunate to have such a great show. Thanks Bob, for you efforts. Please also thank you staff. I have always enjoyed the event and will continue to help if I can.

Thanks for the kind words and the continued support; means a lot to me, Pete!

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com

richstang

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

I've never been to the show, but look forward to viewing pictures of each and every car displayed year after year. I never know what might show up and that's what makes it so fantastic. The quality and quantity of RARE muscle cars is just amazing from all the brands.

Well done Bob! (and everyone else who helps and who participates with their own cars on display)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!