The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AACA Outing in Pittsboro, NC to see Barn Find Stash of 200+ Cars 12/10/17  (Read 1230 times)
MyShelbyDream

Email
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »

It's been 10 years since I have relocated to to the Carolina's from the New York area, and in that time I have constantly heard of this amazing collection of cars right in my new back yard.  It's the classic story of a guy who had more sense then others, and who purchased and stored muscle cars when they could barely give them away.  It's not easy to get an invite to see the collection, because the owner is paranoid that someone will attempt to steal from him.  He also will only show his cars on Sunday, because Saturday is his day of observance.  All that being said, I have been invited to see his collection next Sunday, December 10, and if anyone else in our SAAC Carolina's group wishes to come along, they are welcome.  He just asks we bring something interesting for him to see, because he is a true car enthusiast also (obviously) and has a hard time getting out to shows these days due to advanced age.  I promise you this is not to be missed.

Here are some pics that someone has managed to take from a rare previous visit:

http://barnfinds.com/north-carolina-find-teaser/
http://barnfinds.com/the-north-carolina-find-miscellaneous-makes/
http://barnfinds.com/the-north-carolina-find-ford/
http://barnfinds.com/the-north-carolina-find-mopar/
http://barnfinds.com/the-north-carolina-find-gm/

Everyone is meeting up at a local restaurant at noon, for a bite before and going to see the cars around 2:30.  Everyone is also welcome at my house before that to meet up and go to the restaurant.  If you are interested, please RSVP with me, Brian.  Bubbletime1@gmail.com or 919 265-04081

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

MyShelbyDream

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »

Bump for anyone who is interested.  Beautiful sunny day, just a tad cold for us Carolinians. (42 degrees )
 If you need directions, 919 265-4081.

Brian Glover

SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »

Pictures at 11" ?

MyShelbyDream

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »

I just got back from the event.  To say the shear number of cars is overwhelming would be a understatement.  There was about 30 of us there, and it reminded me of the scene from Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory when the kids get to run around the factory for the first time.  We honestly didn't know what to look at first.  I tried to snap some pics, but I didn't know where to start, nor did I do it justice. 

The good news is that I am helping to get SAAC Carolina member Tom Cotter to tape an episode of his Barn Find Hunter show at this location, so you will all get a chance to see it in better detail.

https://imageshack.com/a/YLql/1

Brian Glover

Bob Gaines

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »

I just got back from the event.  To say the shear number of cars is overwhelming would be a understatement.  There was about 30 of us there, and it reminded me of the scene from Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory when the kids get to run around the factory for the first time.  We honestly didn't know what to look at first.  I tried to snap some pics, but I didn't know where to start, nor did I do it justice. 

The good news is that I am helping to get SAAC Carolina member Tom Cotter to tape an episode of his Barn Find Hunter show at this location, so you will all get a chance to see it in better detail.

https://imageshack.com/a/YLql/1

Wow . The DK Moss Green 67 Shelby looked familiar.   

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
KR-3562
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:58:36 PM »

It was the most eclectic "collection" of cars I have ever seen. Lot's of buildings of every description, each full of cars. Lincoln Zephers, Stutz touring, Caddies, Hudson Hornets, Corvettes, Tbirds, Pantera, Jaguars, Dodge Daytonas and Plymouth Superbird, Mercury Taledega, the list goes on.

SAAC Member

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »

Wow . The DK Moss Green 67 Shelby looked familiar.   

It is in it's new stomping grounds.   Cool

MyShelbyDream

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »

All those cars and that's all you notice?  Pretty amusing.  But seriously, how this gentleman amassed such a collection on a shop teacher's salary is astonishing.  Also, SAAC Carolina's member Dan Maples Ford with the 427 (seen at the end of the pics) was nothing short of awesome to hear in person.

Brian Glover

SAAC Member

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »

I hope he starts selling to good owners or his heirs will have a fire sale.

As a side note, my iPad and imageshack do not like each other.   Sad

gaaj427
SAAC Member

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

WOW!  What I like about this story is he is a man that collected what he liked, not necessarily what was considered "valuable" although he definetly had that as well.  I noticed some of them were restored, did he do that work?   Thanks for sharing!

caspian65

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:42:45 PM »

I got sensory overload from just the pics, sheesh!

MyShelbyDream

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »

WOW!  What I like about this story is he is a man that collected what he liked, not necessarily what was considered "valuable" although he definetly had that as well.  I noticed some of them were restored, did he do that work?   Thanks for sharing!

Yes, he worked as a painter for years.  The Hudson Hornet  in the beginning of the pics was painted by him and a student of his from the high school.  But you can see that as he got older, the projects just stopped.  The entire collection used to be in much better shape.  Take for instance the (black?) '59 Caddy convertible hiding under 3 inches of dirt.  I was told that car used to be really nice for all the years he owned it.  The 'Godfather' car used to be stored indoors.  He never wanted to sell anything (and still doesn't), but all that has managed to do is create a collection that is too large for him to keep up.  Can you imagine just washing all those cars? 

Brian Glover

car 26-JD

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »

great find of cars and that you were able to see them, nice work.

terlingua11

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »

A shame they are just "rotting" away out there. I could smell the mold and mildew from the pictures-

6S1904
CSX2122
Saleen#19R
LS651
SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »

A mind boggling collection of cars - Wow!

Thanks for taking the time to share your photos.

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!