The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:39:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobras at the 1966 July 9th Silverstone Martini International  (Read 1272 times)
richstang

« on: December 03, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

I wanted to post the photos, but they were copyrighted by the photographer Giles Cooper.
These are two very nice photos of no21 and no22 listed as DNS in one of the racing websites.

I'm guessing they are;
#21 HEM6 driven by Chris Irwin
#22 COB6040 driven by Nick Granville-Smith

https://www.gilescooperautomotive.co.uk/gallery

Maybe Kranky, or another Cobra expert can help confirm the ID#s

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:10:35 AM by richstang » Logged
KRANKY

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »

#22 should be COB6040A.  I can't say much on the results or the DNS for both Cobras, but if you find a race report mentioning that it was rainy out, then the photos would prove otherwise.

Kranky

richstang

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply Kranky,

Racing Sport Cars notes the weather as rain, along with photos of two other cars running in the rain.
They note "Presence of the car unknown" on the Cobra's.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:10:08 AM by richstang » Logged
honker

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

Not the best ! but in this photo of the wet grid, I see four GT 40s, and a Cobra, just to the left of the loud speakers on the post. I will dig some more.

(unattributed photo)

Mike

* martinijul66silverstoneresize.jpg (60.55 KB, 800x474 - viewed 148 times.)
KRANKY

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »

Just guessing but the without a better picture, I would say that the Cobra in the background is the ex-Ken Miles Cobra with Eric Hauser at the wheel.

Kranky

richstang

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »

Nice work guys ^^^^^
RSC notes four GT40's and 4 Cobra's, including Eric Hauser in one of them.    
http://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Silverstone-1966-07-09.html

Photos of these smaller venues are difficult to find, but they are out there. Thanks for the added info.

rsk289

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »

Photos of these smaller venues are difficult to find, but they are out there.

'smaller venues'?  Silverstone was always, and still is, a pretty big circuit (it's an old WWII bomber base), and can still claim to be the centre of British motorsport.

It's only around 60 miles from me and I was actually at that meeting in '66.  I remember the mediocre weather and the noise, but only being 11 at the time not much else unfortunately.  Didn't keep my programme either, more's the pity.

Roger

edit - the meeting was organised by the AMOC - I always wondered by half the race meetings I went to in my youth were organised by them...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:54:27 AM by rsk289 » Logged
rstainer

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

Richstang is spot on, but to clarify:

Itís Nick Granville-Smith with 6040, not 6040A. AC never made a 6040A. There are three 6040s: the original 6040, the Nick Granville-Smith car owned for the past 40 years by Alexander Boswell, and two clones, the first coming into existence in 1974 and the second in the mid 90s: see ACOC Register Appendix 2.1-Replica Leaf Spring Cars.

HEM6, the Chris Irwin car, is neither a Shelby (CSX/CS) nor an AC (COB/COX) Cobra: itís one of three Cobras listed in Appendix 1-Period Cobras Made By Other Constructors. It was built in late 63/early 64 to RHD FIA specification by High Efficiency Motors (HEM), a Chessington-based toolmaking firm owned by CT (Tommy) Atkins, a keen amateur racer.

Robin Stainer
ACOC Cobra Registrar

richstang

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »

'smaller venues'?  Silverstone was always, and still is, a pretty big circuit (it's an old WWII bomber base), and can still claim to be the centre of British motorsport.

It's only around 60 miles from me and I was actually at that meeting in '66.  I remember the mediocre weather and the noise, but only being 11 at the time not much else unfortunately.  Didn't keep my programme either, more's the pity.

Roger

edit - the meeting was organised by the AMOC - I always wondered by half the race meetings I went to in my youth were organised by them...

Roger, I think I had a poor choice of words not knowing he actual tracks, excepts from photos. I was thinking of the FIA races of the era at tracks likes Sebring, Lemans, Rheims, Goodwood, Monza, Spa, etc. I'm not very familiar with AMOC (Aston Martin Owners Club), but have heard the name a few times. Were those races centered around Silverstone? Very interesting to hear you were at the '66 Silverstone event. Any later years stories you can remember?

Rich

richstang

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »

Richstang is spot on, but to clarify:

Itís Nick Granville-Smith with 6040, not 6040A. AC never made a 6040A. There are three 6040s: the original 6040, the Nick Granville-Smith car owned for the past 40 years by Alexander Boswell, and two clones, the first coming into existence in 1974 and the second in the mid 90s: see ACOC Register Appendix 2.1-Replica Leaf Spring Cars.

HEM6, the Chris Irwin car, is neither a Shelby (CSX/CS) nor an AC (COB/COX) Cobra: itís one of three Cobras listed in Appendix 1-Period Cobras Made By Other Constructors. It was built in late 63/early 64 to RHD FIA specification by High Efficiency Motors (HEM), a Chessington-based toolmaking firm owned by CT (Tommy) Atkins, a keen amateur racer.

Robin Stainer
ACOC Cobra Registrar

Robin, Thanks for the corrections and details of each car!

The HEM6 car seems to have been heavily raced with photos showing it at many venues in '64 - '65 - '66. There are several photos of it in the REVS digital library. As you know, but others may not, it can easily be spotted by the large vent under the headlights, as well as those huge vent in the rear quarter panels that were added in later '64.

The Granville-Smith AC is a rare sighting in photos, so the above linked photo was a nice find.

Rich

rsk289

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 03:54:21 AM »

Roger, I think I had a poor choice of words not knowing he actual tracks, excepts from photos. I was thinking of the FIA races of the era at tracks likes Sebring, Lemans, Rheims, Goodwood, Monza, Spa, etc. I'm not very familiar with AMOC (Aston Martin Owners Club), but have heard the name a few times. Were those races centered around Silverstone? Very interesting to hear you were at the '66 Silverstone event. Any later years stories you can remember?

Rich

Rich, for Silverstone in period think of Goodwood, really - both were WWII airbases, but Goodwood (West Hampnett) was a fighter base with grass runways whereas Silvestone was a bomber base, with tarmac runways.  In both cases it was the perimeter track that became the race track, i.e. the smooth, wide tarmac roadway that connected the dispersal areas the aircraft sat in wait at.  RAF Silverstone closed in 1960 so was in service for longer than Goodwood.  Both circuits would have been of similar lap length and similar shape, with some tight corners and a lot of fast straights.  Silverstone has changed a lot now as it is a huge international venue, but under the skin the original basic shape and the old runways can still be seen.
The AMOC ran a lot of races back then, including (if I remember rightly) some historic meetings.  Never having owned an Aston I can't tell you much more than that - except that from memory some of their meetings didn't feature a single Aston!  I do remember some great meetings at Snetterton, another fairly local track for me, which is a smaller venue than Silverstone etc.  I have vivid memories of Jim Clark and Graham Hill leading the pack in two Cortina Lotuses, a long pause, then a whole load of Mustangs, Jags etc. trying to catch them as they went through the chicane with one front wheel in the air.  Also an early low-light Morris Minor, which was quite effective - might have had something to do with the 427FE sitting where the front seats should have been....  great days!

Roger

richstang

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »

Thanks for the reply on both Silverstone and Goodwood. Interesting note on the grass vs. tarmac and similar size /shape.

Certainly the Cortina Lotus cars were quick, but in defense of the Mustangs, they appeared to hold their own very well against them. I have to wonder if the gap you saw may have been caused by a race incident at that point in the race.
In '65 at Snetterton; Mustang's finished 1, 2, 3, in round #3 of the BSCC. (British Saloon Car Championship)
In '66 at Snetterton; Brabham's Mustang won 1st OA in round #4 of the BSCC
In '67 at Snetterton; Oliver's Mustang won 1st OA also in round #4 of the BSCC

A Morris Minor with a 427! That must have been an insane ride!
Crazy!!!

rsk289

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »

I think it was a Guards Trophy meeting, or maybe a Race of Champions - can't remember without digging the programmes out (if I still have it).  F1 drivers and champions drove in a lot of races in those days, not just the championship events.  No incident, just winning by a country mile.  The only Mustang I remember of the time was Roy Pierpoint's, but I'd have to check.

richstang

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 09:02:13 AM »

Roger,
I can understand your hard time remembering the specific event. Not only because you were so young, but also because for every main race event there appears to have been at least one, two, or even three support races for different classes of vehicles. Each with their own unique race name / Trophy. Its very difficult to follow which race had the Cobras, GT40s, and/or Mustangs in them without digging very deep to find the entries or results lists.

I found a August 29th 1965 race (Edward Lewis Shoes Trophy) where Jim Clark's Lotus Cortina had a 5 second lead over the field with Jackie Oliver's Mustang trying to close in at the finish. The Cortina lead the entire race. It was a wet track from rain, but as it dried up, Oliver was able to close the gap.
Rich

rsk289

Email
« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:18:27 AM »

A Morris Minor with a 427! That must have been an insane ride!
Crazy!!!

I saw this guy race 4 or 5 times, and it was always the same and just as you might expect:  blasting past everyone on the straights, tiptoeing around the corners, and blasting off again.  On each occasion he got up to about 3rd or 4th and two or three laps from the end he spun it, finishing something like half-way down the field.  I have no idea what class or category he was running in - it must have been a formula libre, but things were much 'looser' in those days!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!