The Official SAAC Forum
December 17, 2017, 10:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LAX - Shelby Sales Office & Hangars / Height - Length - Width Recreation in 1/64  (Read 1508 times)
Szabo

Email
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »

Hello SAAC Members,

i spent hours and days on the internet, the forum and the wonderfull George Watters Collection but i have plans for
building a Mini Diorama and i am a Nerd for the correct Details.

I always read the Hangars are hugh and big but how big they were really Huh?

Well i found some pictures on https://fastlanecars.com/gift-shop/46/signed-by-carroll-shelby
that i never see befor... The Shelby Plant LAX Layout  HeadSpin

Well i read the layout and found Infos about the Hangars --- 300 Feet Length and 30 Feet High
and Infos about the Sales office --- 15 Feet High

But there are much more question about the Buildings:

1. How Width was the Hangars

2 How Length and Width was the Sales Office

I tried a free measurement programm from the Internet and made some Lines, but they come to
results i can not believe

The Sales office are in relation to the Hangars 139 Feet Long and about 54 Width

But when i looked on other Pics from the Sales Office i can┤t believe that this is correct,
i think the Sales Office is smaller ...

So, Have anyone here more and detailed Infos about the LAX Buildings Huh?

or good pics from Details where is what on the Buildings

Man, i hope you understand my "Crazyness" on these Details, for me is so importend
like the real Screw for a dash pod on a 66 Shelby GT350 Hertz...

Stephan (Steve), the Man from Germany

Note: sorry for my bad english, i write first time since 20 years or so in english...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:32:43 PM by Szabo » Logged

The Man from Germany - always looking for historic corret infos an pics about Shelbys
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »

You might try searching the satellite phots. I believe the hangers are still there....and this thread might be helpful

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=27706.0

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:24:06 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
camp upshur

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

Wow those are truly a neat find!
Those were originally North American Aviation hangers and in some SAI photos one can still see 'Home of the Sabreliner' signs hanging which had not been removed.
A problem with current imagery is that approx 10-15 years ago they were deconstructed and rebuilt as enclosed warehouses vice hangers. They appear roughly the same footprint but the heights were changed, on the east one considerably. I was there today.
I would imagine LAWA public works permitting/code enforcement would maintain prints of this nature??  http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=1246

BTW, the sales office appears to be a typical mid-60s modular 'pre-fab'. Quite low-end. Perhaps three 20x20 (?) boxes?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:35:29 PM by camp upshur » Logged
richstang

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

Wow those are truly a neat find!
Those were originally North American Aviation hangers and in some SAI photos one can still see 'Home of the Sabreliner' signs hanging which had not been removed.
A problem with current imagery is that approx 10-15 years ago they were deconstructed and rebuilt as enclosed warehouses vice hangers. They appear roughly the same footprint but the heights were changed, on the west one considerably. I was there today.
I would imagine LAWA public works permitting/code enforcement would maintain prints of this nature??  http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=1246

BTW, the sales office appears to be a typical mid-60s modular 'pre-fab'. Quite low-end. Perhaps three 20x20 (?) boxes?
That's about the size I was thinking it was.

Szabo,
That is a tremendous project! I don't think you will find too many people who know the dimensions, since we focus more on the cars.
Check the "LAWA" link above. It is your best chance of finding the info you seek.

What scale are you going to build it at? Are you going to fill the lots with miniature cars, haulers, and the support vehicles?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:43:16 AM by richstang » Logged
Szabo

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »

Hey Guys,

thank´s for your Idees and Comments,

Well, I know this is a hard project but i love such NERD Things and i want to build a real scale Model in 1.64
First i want to Start with the Sales Office in 1.64 ... and yes i will fill this with Cars and Haulers from M2, here
some Pictures from my little Collection (in 1.18 i have around 100 Stang & Shelby Modelcars)

I agree that this Sales Office is a modular Pre-Fab Thing but i found some surprising Things

the Layout Plant says the Sales Office ist 15 Feet Height so i figure that as a true fact.

at the left Front Side you can See that the Panel looks very square (same long sides in one Box)
every box has the black edge + 4 white panels + a black edge panel again

the right front Side show plack panel edge + 7 white panels and looks more rectengular of course

When you looked at it on high resolution you can see the lines between the panels

Now the suprising Moment at my picture Research

when you looking of this Back Side picture you can see that the back side is smaller  HeadSpin
the front side is much higher and the secon picture from the Daytona Coupe shows this also

And Now i have a new question and a answer to find out

Is the Front Side 15 Feet height or the back side Huh?

Well i have two thougts on my mind

the front side photo shows a VW Bug at the right side, this bug is about 4,921 Feet Height ....

the Daytona photo shows at the right side a Car who i dont now exactly, anyone of you know Huh?

Looking forward for more Infos, answers and Idees, i know thats a hard procjet, but 30 Years befor now it was hard to find real Infos about
Shelbys and now we know the Name of the different screws in the dash ...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:18:13 PM by Szabo » Logged

The Man from Germany - always looking for historic corret infos an pics about Shelbys
richstang

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »

1/64 scale is a nice small scale to work in. You have a good start with the vehicles in your collection.

The car to the right side of the photo with the Daytona is a 1957 Ford Fairlane (maybe a 500 Victoria version).

I believe the front 2 sides are 15 feet tall and the back 2 sides are about 11-12 feet tall.
Also, I noticed there is a short section of the office glass entrance that juts out a bit from the rest of the building.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:10:46 PM by richstang » Logged
Bill Collins

5006 - Again being abused, just like in the 1970's

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »

the Daytona photo shows at the right side a Car who i dont now exactly, anyone of you know Huh?

That car is a '57 Ford Fairlane 500 two door hardtop

Owner of 5S006 since 1971, CSX2188 1979-2016, 401365 since 2006
camp upshur

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »

Not all of those pics are contemporaneous and seem to depict different exterior facades/signage, however the black banding of the structure seems consistent.
Without prints you're going to have to establish a fix and model from there.
The glass door may well be IBC industry standard height on a modular prefab, that would be 80" (6'8")H x 3-0 (36")W. That door aspect ratio looks about that (as a WAG).
If that were to be, those panels would be 4-0/3-6~ (taking in the king stud/ jamb leg). Conjecture nonetheless.
good luck!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:27:58 PM by camp upshur » Logged
Rodster-500

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »

Hey Guys,

thank┤s for your Idees and Comments,

Well, I know this is a hard project but i love such NERD Things and i want to build a real scale Model in 1.64
First i want to Start with the Sales Office in 1.64 ... and yes i will fill this with Cars and Haulers from M2, here
some Pictures from my little Collection (in 1.18 i have around 100 Stang & Shelby Modelcars)

Wow, cool!  Chug a Lug

We need some pictures of this collection!!

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
Szabo

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

The glass door may well be IBC industry standard height on a modular prefab, that would be 80" (6'8")H x 3-0 (36")W. That door aspect ratio looks about that (as a WAG).
If that were to be, those panels would be 4-0/3-6~ (taking in the king stud/ jamb leg). Conjecture nonetheless.
good luck!

Thank you  all very much --- thats a very good Indicator for me, so the width of the panels are 3 Feet to ...
and thank for explain the Car at the Daytona Pic --- you a great help for me !!!

I tryed to find some more Details:

Fact1: when one Panel is 3 Feet width and the Ford Fairlane is about 4 Feet 8 inches high,
          the backside wall is 10 feet high at all

Fact2: the "Glasshouse" in Front stands 1 Panel outside, is 3 panel width and goes 1 Panel back to the Side of the Building

you can see it in this frame from the Shelby Video (right side)

and i started to make a model in 1/64 Scale for a easy Papercut Model, to see fitting with the Modelcars
1 Square is one foot Height and Width, but i think for more Details and better working i will fit the Square in 6 Inches Height/Width

Question from me: Does anyone have the font Style for the "shelby american, inc." Letters on the sign Huh?
i asked in the 65 GT350 Thread but no one answers or now this ...

Stephan (Steve) from Germany

Note: where i should share some Pics of my collection, is there a Thread on the Forum for Modelcars Huh?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:30:55 AM by Szabo » Logged

Rodster-500

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »

Note: where i should share some Pics of my collection, is there a Thread on the Forum for Modelcars Huh?

There is not a place specifically for Model Cars but feel free to start a topic in the SAAC Forum Discussion Area 

If you look there or search, some folks have posted on the subject of Model Cars.

You might enjoy this discussion.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=11316.0

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
Szabo

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

@Richstang

i will some pics showing in a new Thread on the Discussion Area

@All

For makeing a 3D Model i cut the papermodel out and glue it together to show the front side of the Sales Office

What you are thinking of this first Model Huh?

it looks a little bit tiny when you stand a Stang between the black panels ...
i only find the photo of the 289 Cobra stands between the panel.

Overall when standing the Truck an other M2 Models in the display i found it not so
bad, well it is 1/64 and tho some Details are tiny  Grin

At last i found a nice photo from a GT40 delivering in front of the Sales Office
you can even see the Trophys inside the Office room  Cool

richstang

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »

Hi Stephan,

You are making some nice progress with this first layout.

For some reason the real 1:1 building looks wider than your paper mock-up. Even your window sections look a bit narrow.
I would think the '66 Shelby scaled car would fit inside one of the main 3 section of the building front fašade. In your mock-up the scaled car extends past that center section.

The large Shelby sign on the front fašade looks bigger (in height) on your model versus the real 1:1.
I'm comparing its height to the height of the black trim it mounted over at the top.

These are just my opinions, maybe other will comment as well.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:55:59 AM by richstang » Logged
car 26-JD

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »

Hello Szabo, you had asked about the font for the "shelby american, inc." on the sign, will this work for you?

(I can send a larger file and a darker blue)

* saletteringmade.jpg (20.38 KB, 750x161 - viewed 35 times.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:09:02 AM by car 26-JD » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!