The Official SAAC Forum
November 24, 2017, 07:51:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fly in  (Read 748 times)
Teke and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
gjz30075
SAAC Member

Email
« on: November 14, 2017, 03:12:42 AM »

Not having been to this area before, what's the best airport to use?    Or, does it depend on where the host hotel is?
Thanks!

Greg Z
SFM6S2249
Doug C

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »

Not having been to this area before, what's the best airport to use?    Or, does it depend on where the host hotel is?
Thanks

I am guessing that San Francisco or Oakland airports are the best options. Of course thereís the Napa where Iíve seen numerous corporate and private jets fly in and out.  I donít know if this airport has commercial. 

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
Cobrask8
SAAC Nat'l Coordinator of Regions

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »

Silver wings will be my method. In years past, I flew into San Francisco, and over the Golden Gate Bridge heading north

Official Home of CHEPSK8 RACING TEAM

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »

Depending on your choice of airline, definitely check fares for either San Francisco or Oakland as the difference can be quite a bit.  Drive up north is usually more congested from SFO and first visit can be a challenge going through the city.  But it is scenic and worth extra time if you can spare it.

Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

A bit longer drive, but Sacramento is a good choice.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
C6ZZGT

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:00:31 AM »

Last time went to SFO and caught some bus,then went to napa airport to get car the next day.

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »

All good food for thought guys, thanks, my wife and I will prob get a flight to San Fran  PeelOut

6S273
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:50:11 AM »

You have a bunch of airports to choose from. Compare cost, travel time, arrival and departure times for the days interested.

You have Sacramento, Oakland, SFO and San Jose.  Fly out of one of them every month  or more often.  If you have a private plane then there are allot of smaller and private fields around the area.

Remember/consider that if going out of SFO or going across Golden Gate I believe you'll have to pay for the bridge crossing with the rental car company and get a transponder. No toll takers so you can't stop and pay to cross and they recently ran the price up for crossing and you don't want to pay the ticket with the extra fees the rental car company will tack on.

Of course you don't have to go across that bridge to get to the track

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »

You have a bunch of airports to choose from. Compare cost, travel time, arrival and departure times for the days interested.

You have Sacramento, Oakland, SFO and San Jose.  Fly out of one of them every month  or more often.  If you have a private plane then there are allot of smaller and private fields around the area.

Remember/consider that if going out of SFO or going across Golden Gate I believe you'll have to pay for the bridge crossing with the rental car company and get a transponder. No toll takers so you can't stop and pay to cross and they recently ran the price up for crossing and you don't want to pay the ticket with the extra fees the rental car company will tack on.

Thanks Jeff, however I get there I am looking forward to it.
Cheers

6S273
C6ZZGT

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »

Are tolls new (or newish) on the bridge ? I don`t remember them from late 70`s

QuickSilverShelby

I wanna go where the beer flows like wine.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »

Are tolls new (or newish) on the bridge ? I don`t remember them from late 70`s
Hysterical  That's funny,  "don't remember them from the late 70's".  By the way, you can get updated on those "recent" tolls via that new invention "the intranet"Cheesy

QSS

1968 GT500 Convertible Auto
2007 GT-H 5spd
06 GT

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »

Sacramento is probably easiest for not having to pay tolls. All the bridges from Oakland and SFO have tolls. Sacramento also has a great rail museum if you like trains.

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:30:08 AM »

If I remember, the five dollar tolls are only on any bridges from the east Bay side and are $5 per car going into SF.  No toll leaving San Francisco.

If going into SFO, allow extra time to get up north on 101 through the city as the freeway does not go through it.  You have to navigate your way through the city to get tot the Golden Gate towards San Rafael.  It is a real challenge for first timers.

We sometimes go over to Oakland and then north to the San Rafael bridge.  Any special routing tips are appreciated for us visitors.

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:43:51 AM »

All gold tips guys, cheers

6S273
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!