The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:15:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Hovander's 1970 CROSS BOSS 302 Mustang  (Read 3713 times)
honker

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »

Here's the cover of the "The Fabulous Mustang" magazine from 1970 that s2ms posted, sorry it's a little rough after 47 years   Roll Eyes

Mike

* lime100.jpg (154.12 KB, 800x1060 - viewed 71 times.)
honker

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »

Here are a couple of more shots, of I think the same car from that magazine.

* bossb&w.jpg (40.32 KB, 736x307 - viewed 48 times.)

* bossfender.jpg (79.86 KB, 800x660 - viewed 58 times.)
honker

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

One more from the Mustang magazine, a nose on shot, sorry 'bout the fold !

The second photo is credit.. from the Dr. John Craft soft cover book "Boss & Cobra Jet Mustangs..302, 351, 428, and 429" my copy published 1996.

Mike (honker)

* bossnose.jpg (43.64 KB, 800x435 - viewed 43 times.)

* bosscraftbook.jpg (58.94 KB, 800x534 - viewed 61 times.)
deathsled

6s843

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

What a great story!  Gives me ideas for a short story of some sort.  And to get it back after being separated from her for so long.  I wish I could find my 69 Mustang coupe.  I still dream about that car on occasion.  It was red with two black racing stripes down the hood.  It went to a wrecking yard, the Toronto salt eating the body alive after a few short years.  Congratulations to you on getting your old ride back!!!

stickshift

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »

Hello Stickshift-Sorry for the absence, I was visiting a friend in the hospital for the weekend.  That was a great story about Jodar's son, I remember his name, maybe from the back of the SOA's newsletters? I am sure everyone has stories to tell, this could be a thread by itself, just part of being involved in high performance cars. Great shot of the Doug Nash fuel injection set up, never seen one in person, only in photos, like in the BOSS 302 engine modification booklet.  Thanks for the addition.
You are welcome Corey and thanks Bigfoot, I had no idea so many other people liked the color, I remember hearing this color or shades of it were among the most popular colors in the late 1960's-1970. Mark

Bruce Jodar is the son. I think his father was Lyle Jodar, MD. Bruce in so many ways IS the founding father of much of the SAAC thinking. No shot intended at Rick Kopec, but Rick did inherit much of it by incorporating the Cobra Club agenda.

Those who doubt that only to look back on the SAAC Dearborn conventions and remember what the hotel parking lot looked like. Ford noticed. GM and Chrysler too.

As a result SAAC has become incredibly influential across the board including within the "Big Three" in "Detroit", and therein lies a tale.  Wink

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »

I have seen vermilion in a red car (& Calypso Coral), that doesn't do it for me like in green or blue car.

Wondered if that was only done on a prototype?

You could preseumeably have Vermillion guts in any 70 Mustang.
Seen it with white, black , red, Coral etc
Can't say I have seen it in person on a green car but it must exist.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
5S003

Email
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »

I had two BOSS 302's in high school, the one here in the photos and another '70, just happened to be the same exterior color, but with a green interior and no fold down seat. Back in 1980, I did see a CC exterior  1970 BOSS 302 with vermillion interior, it had every option available, years later I ran across a person who knew the owner I met of the '70, it turns out I had met was the original owner. He ordered the BOSS that way, with virtually every option , it must of been close to a 1 of 1. I remember thinking when looking inside the car, it was just "too orange". Just by a fluke, I found out this BOSS is still in the Seattle area and has not moved in over 20 years. It is in a fairly large muscle car collection and is getting closer to being looked over so it is operational again. It was in beautiful condition when I saw it and was told it is still all original today. 

Wedgeman

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »

NOOOOO........ Hysterical

* vermill.jpg (72.32 KB, 800x600 - viewed 62 times.)
stickshift

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »

Bosses are Boss! Cool. Great thread.

honker

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »

Has anyone seen one of these ? Install on an engine sounds complicated, wonder if one one was ever run ?

Image from the Dr. John Craft book  "Boss & Cobra Jet Mustangs".

Mike

* crossbosscraftbook.jpg (51.73 KB, 770x346 - viewed 87 times.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:45:29 PM by honker » Logged
5S003

Email
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »

Hello Mike,
I have never seen one of these intakes in person, but I think this intake belongs to a collector in California, he seems to have a sample of just about every one off intake for Ford motors that was produced. In the past, I think he preferred not to have his collection well publicized, so I will respect that here and no mention his name. Some of these intakes were produced in very low numbers, some I remember being sent to Smokey Yunick for evaluation / development. When he had those one or two garage sells is when those rare parts came to light.
I have had a couple e mails asking about Kelly Coffield and how to reach him , his web site is www.InlineCarb.com    That should provide you followers with more Cross Boss stuff than you ever wanted to know. He is the foremost person involved with these induction systems and I sure wish he was around when I was in high school. I enjoy the learning about the history of  Shelby American and it spilled over on the Cross Boss stuff too. I found Max Lunsford who was a key player on the Autolite Inline carb and he was kind enough to send me original photos of the carbs being produced. I wanted to develop a web site (well with Dave McDonald's help of course) about the Cross Boss, mainly since there was so little known about them. The last thing I wanted was to have Max's name lost to time . Just about when I was ready to put things together, 5S003 was offered to me and I knew my spare time was going to be devoted to that project. Rather than see the Cross Boss info fade away, I gave what I collected to Kelly so he could spend all of his spare time on the web site. He has done a fantastic job with it and since he has a foundry at his home......well, lets just say we can produce things for these systems that Ford never did .  Popcorn  I think he is holding back on some stuff, but I have seen photos of what he has in mind, just look at the air cleaners he made for the Cross Boss and that will begin to show you his talents!  Ford never made it that far in development of the Cross Boss to offer an air cleaner .   Enjoy.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!