The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:18:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California freeways  (Read 2454 times)
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

With the super fires in Ventura, CA the 405 is closed and there is a major mess on one of the busiest stretches in the nation.

Don't tell me that their referring to the current fires down south as "super fires"  Huh???    Roll Eyes Guess when it's in your back yard then its bigger

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:17 PM »

Size in acreage and number of structures destroyed and continuing intensity pretty devastating.  Not as alarge as some of the summer forest fires but large in property loss scale.  Hope none of our SoCal people are affected.  Looks as intense as Sonoma/Napa fire.

06 GT

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »

This week the DC area opened up the HOV lanes on I66 for anyone with a E-Z pass   Itís a variable toll based on traffic.
Was $40 t0 go 10 Miles
I've got a Chevy Volt. They let me use the fast-trak/carpool lane with one person for free. I also get free charging at work. And they wonder why I don't retire. They keep passing out free money I'll keep showing up.

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:25 AM »

Size in acreage and number of structures destroyed and continuing intensity pretty devastating. ..........

Not even close on acreage in comparison to the great fires - 3,000,000 acres is the typical size of the largest wild land fires recorded in US

Most deaths I could find was 1,700 people in one wild fire.

Still about 15% of the size of the Oakland Hills fire, was on duty the second & third day and didn't get to go. It took 25 lives and almost 3500 homes

Pretty sure we can find many with more structures or dollar losses (corrected for inflation)  still this as with others will be devastating for all involved. Hope friends and members in the south get out of its way and heed any warnings and not wait. Thoughts and prayers for those in harms way

Jeff Speegle
427heaven

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »

Quote from: J_Speegle link=topic=41764 Cry.msg323156#msg323156 date=1512594917
Don't tell me that their referring to the current fires down south as "super fires"  Huh???    Roll Eyes Guess when it's in your back yard then its bigger
[/quote                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I guess they become SUPER FIRES when the home values are at a minimum of 1,000,000] Cry

Doug C

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »

In my opinion - It makes no difference if the home is worth $100,000 or $1,000,000 it is devastating no matter when one lives.  Letís try to remember the people it affects and not the cost of things.  And, yes I live in California and of course the fire zone.

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
SAAC Member

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »

What is the causation of all these Fires?

Yes, I know some will blame Climate Change, I want to know what was the source of the spark? They never mention that on the news.

6s1802

Email
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

In So Cal we don't have seasons just the changing apocalypse. Freeway traffic, wild fires earthquakes floods and race riots. I'm waiting for the locusts.

SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »

Yes, I know some will blame Climate Change, I want to know what was the source of the spark? They never mention that on the news.
.         That is often impossible to determine...with the extremely low humidity we are currently experiencing and...more importantly ...the sometimes hurricane strength Santa Anaís (which functions almost like a turbo/supercharger if you will)..almost anything can be an ignition source...stray cigarette,off road vehicle exhaust,etc.....with these winds once you get a significant fire ignited it is almost impossible to contain....hope that these winds subside!!!

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »

There are many different reasons and even without man's influence they have been taking place for at least thousands of years if not from the beginning of time. 

With current technology they can often determine the possible cause often with the use of satellite. Since things are going to happen more time, effort and restrictions IMHO need to focus on the limiting or elimination of wildland interface building & allowing clearing of bush and fuel. Many of the old fire roads (these allowed quick access and at times barriers to the spread of fires while they were small) have been eliminated due to the Sierra club and others efforts.  This combined with many other things, funding, luck, allowing some fires to just burn (its part of the cycle)  may help to reduce but we will never eliminate fire no more than we can earth quakes, tornado's and other "natural" causes.

Jeff Speegle
greekz

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »

Highway 101, the main "Freeway" north along the coast has been closed in both directions on and off during this fire between Ventura and Carpinteria.  If I need to evacuate my home in Carpinteria, going north is probably my only option.  Freeway traffic is fairly light going north, most likely due to 101 closures.

Highway 150, which is on the southeast boarder of Carpinteria is closed due to the fire.  Currently, the fire has been as close as 5 miles away as the crow flies.  Have not received any evacuation warnings as of this hour and fortunately the wind is very light.  My only option, depending on Highway 101 status, might be taking my cars north.  I have a place down in Ventura, but not sure I can make it there and get back home.

As far as the fire's origin, there is a campground near the starting point of the fire.  No official word at this time.

6S1134 - '67 GT-350 #2339
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it, itís a ďCapitalĒ idea

Email
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

Thoughts and prayers for all affected. Seeing it on the news makes you realize how lucky most of us are and how quickly we can be humbled by things like fires, earthquakes,floods, hurricanes and other disasters

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

Highway 101, the main "Freeway" north along the coast has been closed in both directions on and off during this fire between Ventura and Carpinteria.  If I need to evacuate my home in Carpinteria, going north is probably my only option.  Freeway traffic is fairly light going north, most likely due to 101 closures.

Highway 150, which is on the southeast boarder of Carpinteria is closed due to the fire.  Currently, the fire has been as close as 5 miles away as the crow flies.  Have not received any evacuation warnings as of this hour and fortunately the wind is very light.  My only option, depending on Highway 101 status, might be taking my cars north.  I have a place down in Ventura, but not sure I can make it there and get back home.

As far as the fire's origin, there is a campground near the starting point of the fire.  No official word at this time.

That is just nasty, especially if trying to get north to Santa Barbara are and having to go inland and the to the coast.  What a mess.

06 GT

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »

...the sometimes hurricane strength Santa Anaís
Sometime in the 70s they changed the name to Santa Ana winds to describe the dry/hot winds that blow from the desert westward across SoCal. They were originally called Santana by the native people which translated to Devil Wind and is much more descriptive of them.

gt350hr

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »

The same danger ( with these winds) has been around for hundreds of years. Locals become oblivious to the threat and freak out ( like it is a rare occurrence) when it happens. Most often they are hot winds and drive the Dec temps into the 90+ range making the problem worse.  There are specific problem areas where semi trucks are blow of of their wheels , rip roofs off of houses etc. One spark or cigarette causes things like this to happen along with the sick people who enjoy starting fires. Arson is fairly common out here (sadly) , MANY innocent victims , both human and animal.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!