The Official SAAC Forum
December 16, 2017, 12:25:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California wildfires  (Read 1041 times)
Bill.
Global Moderator

« on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

Just heard from an old friend in Santa Rosa, he got a knock on the door at 2am from a neighbor who said the winds had shifted and to leave now, he made it out with his family with minutes to spare, lost everything, including his house, Mustang convertibles, (8 other vehicles in his collection)and their house pets. Our hearts go out to all who are involved in this horrible situation.

Bill S

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
propayne

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »

Very upsetting - here is a pic from a fellow Cougar enthusiast in Santa Rosa who also lost everything.

They were in Greece at the time so are safe, but this is what they came home to.

- Phillip

* cougarhousefire.jpg (74.16 KB, 450x600 - viewed 160 times.)

SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »

Ugh, Very sad.

Am I the only one who thinks so many fires starting, nearly simultaneously is very suspicious?

Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »

My brother lives in Glen Ellyn.  His window was tapped at 1 am three days ago from a neighbor saying evacuate immediately.  He was able to take his dogs and one picture with him.  His entire neighborhood was lost in a matter of hours, with the exception of six homes.

We just found out, his home was one of the lucky six to survive, for now.  Winds are still strong and fire is still there.

Prayers to all.

Proud owner of two Shelby's.
Proud member of SAAC.
Proud contributor of Windy City SAAC Region
Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »

At 6:30am the his morning there was a promo “coming up” for the 7am running of The Today Show, the reporter was standing Next to a 65/66 Mustang convertible that was completely burned up

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
gt350hr

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »

We were lucky here in the south. No loss of life and only 24 or so structures. It could have been just as tragic . Thoughts and prayers to those in the north who lost it all.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

Not only that, Dembeste Motor Sports (Shelby Engines) is JUST north of the fire (less than a mile or so that wiped out the Coffen Lane area, Fountain Grove where the Hilton Hotel is and the Round (Red) barn that was leveled just off the 101. They re on the next exit up off of Airport Blvd.  Anyone who went to SAAC13 that attended the events at the Luther Burbank off River Road, that is this area. Hope everyone made it out.

~Earl J

2015 VP NorCal Region SAAC
2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

Scary stuff guys, stay safe

6S273
tainted68

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »

Ugh, Very sad.

Am I the only one who thinks so many fires starting, nearly simultaneously is very suspicious?

I said the same days ago. You can never fully recover from these kind of things. Some things cant be replaced so care for family first.

68 gt 500 convertible sunlit gold #31   shaken not stirred
stephen_becker

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

Not only that, Dembeste Motor Sports (Shelby Engines) is JUST north of the fire (less than a mile or so that wiped out the Coffen Lane area, Fountain Grove where the Hilton Hotel is and the Round (Red) barn that was leveled just off the 101. They re on the next exit up off of Airport Blvd.  Anyone who went to SAAC13 that attended the events at the Luther Burbank off River Road, that is this area. Hope everyone made it out.

~Earl J

I talked to Lori DenBeste and she shared cell phone video shot from her home and the fire-line is right there - She said no power, no cell service and until yesterday morning no firefighters - very sad for all involved - Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected

Stephen

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »

Thanks for the info, Steve.  If I remember, the buildings have concrete walls.  I am not sure what the roof is made of.  But the firestorm heat is intense. I shudder to think of that wall of Cobras and floor of Shelby Mustangs getting destroyed.  

I am keeping track of the fire areas on:
http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

If you know the area, you can enlarge the map to check on various locations.  Also, tere are updates every few hours as well as info on the general web site.

Anyone have word on the Sears Point fire and if Sonoma Raceway is affected?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:43:46 PM by Don Johnston » Logged
cudino

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »

I'm a Napa native, and my family is all still there.  I'm extremely relieved to say that my mom's house (that I grew up in) is still standing, but we had several nerve-wracking days expecting the worst.  This evening the mandatory evacuation in her area was finally lifted, and she's very emotionally returning back to her home after being evacuated at 4am Sunday night/Monday morning.  I just wish everyone was so lucky, but along with several of my mom's neighbors several of my Napa friends have lost their homes and businesses, which is very sad. 

It is difficult to explain how fast and widespread these fires spread that first night, which is why the property and life toll is so high.  With all the close-call stories I know about it's a miracle the death toll is not significantly higher.  And while the surprise factor has passed, unfortunately the fire threat is not yet over for everyone, as the western side of Napa, Sonoma, and smaller towns to the north, including the ENTIRE town of Calistoga, remain under siege.  Best wishes to everyone.

I believe Sears Point is OK.  In fact the owners are awesome, they opened up the property for evacuees to bring their RVs, and they've been serving donated food to these displaced people.  This is just one example of how the entire community has come together to help during this catastrophe.

Here's a great map that gets updated a few times a day, that shows the current and recent pathway of these fires in Napa.  The scope of these fires, compared to the sizes of the towns, is incredible.
http://www.countyofnapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294989792

Best wishes to all!

- Wade

cudino

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »

Adding to the above, while certainly not comparable to any loss of life, my good friend also lost a big part of his car collection.  Two late-model Ferraris and an '06 Ford GT were also casualties of the Atlas Peak Fire.

- Wade

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »

That is some scary sh!t over there. B good.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it, it’s a “Capital” idea

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »

Between hurricanes and fires this has been a devastating year for some parts of the country. Feel blessed to not to have experienced any of it. Thoughts and prayers to anyone and their familes who have been affected by these

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!