The Official SAAC Forum
December 11, 2017, 05:45:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NOS Ford 3.89 Ring and Pinion Gear Set  (Read 977 times)
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »

Wanted:  NOS Ford 3.89 Ring and Pinion Gear Set B7AZ-4209-N for nine inch rear.

New (older) M-4209-A389 Ford Motorsport 3.89 gear set would also be okay. Just want a new in box (never installed) set.

Find my email by clicking my profile.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:34:47 PM by Brant » Logged

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
shelbyluva

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

Just curious, but why not new aftermarket gears?

Hopefully someone around here has what you are looking for, good luck Smiley

6S1640

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

Hi Brant,

Are the numbers on the gear C3AW-4210-D (35 teeth) and the pinion C3AW-4610-B (9 teeth)  How can you tell if the gear set is early or late?  I remember hearing there is a set with the ring gear slightly smaller than the 9 inch.  Which one is early and which one is late?  The part number you listed is the set?  The part number B7AZ-4209-N is a 1957 part number.  Should the ring and pinion have similar B7' numbers?

Cory

Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:29:42 AM »

Hi Brant,

Are the numbers on the gear C3AW-4210-D (35 teeth) and the pinion C3AW-4610-B (9 teeth)  How can you tell if the gear set is early or late?  I remember hearing there is a set with the ring gear slightly smaller than the 9 inch.  Which one is early and which one is late?  The part number you listed is the set?  The part number B7AZ-4209-N is a 1957 part number.  Should the ring and pinion have similar B7' numbers?

Cory

Cory,

Yes, the number that I listed is for the set. I will have the look up the original numbers. I'm not aware of a "slightly smaller" one.

As far as early vs. late, if it's the right gear, brand new (never installed), and has Ford part numbers, I'm good.

Email me directly if you have something. I am also now interested in a brand new OE 3.91 set.

Thank you for your reply.

-Brant

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
gt350hr

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »

When Ford released the gears originally , the ring gear diameter was 8.75. Those gears are typically stamped with WAA or WAC part numbers. By the '60's all gears were revised to the 9" diameter and part numbers started with C ( obviously for "60") numbers like Cory posted. They are functionally the same . Ford "in the day" called the new 9" gear "new improved wide tooth sets".
      Randy

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »

When Ford released the gears originally , the ring gear diameter was 8.75. Those gears are typically stamped with WAA or WAC part numbers. By the '60's all gears were revised to the 9" diameter and part numbers started with C ( obviously for "60") numbers like Cory posted. They are functionally the same . Ford "in the day" called the new 9" gear "new improved wide tooth sets".
      Randy

Thanks, Randy. Any truth to the idea that a 3.89 set may have more problems with noise than a 3.91 (maybe that's why Ford changed?)

Also what is your opinions on the current aftermarket sets vs. older aftermarket sets and stuff from OE suppliers that used to be made in the USA.

-Brant

gt350hr

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »

Brant ,
        I was told the same thing on the 3.91 gear . It was designed to have more teeth engaged at all times in order to reduce the gear noise.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!