The Official SAAC Forum
October 18, 2017, 03:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KR VIN Funny Business  (Read 1111 times)
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »

So, hypothetically speaking what if you found a GT500 with a "Q" code engine? Would you be a buyer or pass?
How about a KR without an "R" engine code in the VIN stamping?

A 1968 Shelby GT 500 should be an "S" code and the engine code should be in the VIN right?

I wouldn't touch them with a six foot barge pole if they were in the six figures and priced like a "no questions, no stories" kind of solid car with a VIN that conforms.  I am not taking about parts like engines, I am talking about VIN tags. When it comes to these kind of cars at these astronomical prices, I would not trust my mother's testimony that it could happen and this could be one of those, and I have these friends that have one, etc.  There are so many out there that require no affidavits of a dozen experts to verify non standard VINs and "possible" bubba assembly line malfunctions, I will take one of those no excuses, no stories cars in a NY minute over ones like this.  I don't want to be "that guy", who keeps explaining all this over and over.  In the hierarchy of important items when buying a car, VIN tags are #1, and far ahead of any other parts, they are sacrosanct IMO and have to be no questions, no issues.  Even the hint of a problem disqualifies the car from me being interested in it, others may not be concerned about them, that is your choice.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:32:25 PM by CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr) » Logged

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »

None of this happened on Corvettes. That's why there are so many '67 435s still around. Hysterical They were built "by the book" by hard working people that cared about the product they made and weren't on drugs . Metuchen workers didn't care.  Quality control , "he's on a break". HeadSpin

Now if this car was being offered by POOKIE , I would trow a flag as big as North Carolina in the air.

I can assure you an experienced judge can spot fakes in VIN and trim tags, and they are disqualified, no matter how many experts you have testify about your buddies' cars and bubba at the factory.  And L71s can not be told by trim or VIN tags anyway.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:33:52 PM by CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr) » Logged
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »

I wouldn't touch them with a six foot barge pole if they were in the six figures and priced like a "no questions, no stories" kind of solid car with a VIN that conforms

Well, I hate to break this to you, but your former KR never had an R code in the body stamping. I would say the body VIN stamping is equally or more impotant than a tag.

I can only assume you would feel the same way about a reproduction tag? Maybe we shouldnt go there.

Grin

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:58:53 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
shelby73

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »

If a L71 can't be verified by a vin or a trim plate that means it would be easy to fake. Like a L79

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »

I think it all comes down to knowledge level. I understand someone not wanting to explain an anomaly, but it should not make a car any less valuable.

The factory did make errors. That should not be a fallback position for everyone that has a dicked up VIN. These things are out there and understanding what is acceptable is the key.

Just like a KR without an engine code in the VIN or a Q coded GT500. (there were a few).

I dont think I can spot every reproduction tag, but I bet I can be better than nine out of ten on a bad day.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:59:18 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
snakeoil

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »

I  have a friend with a 68 KR and the serial tag (which is original) is stamped 8T02J  and the buck tag, window tag and door tag are stamped 8T02R. He bought the car in Florida very early in its life. He is aware of this
fact  and all tags original to car. Always wondered why this occurred at factory.

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »

I think if we start making a list it might get rather lengthy

Xcoils

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »

4325 doesn't have an R on either apron. All the other original tags match so, its not a big deal to me.  Chug a Lug

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 04:52:26 AM »

Well, I hate to break this to you, but your former KR never had an R code in the body stamping. I would say the body VIN stamping is equally or more impotant than a tag.

I can only assume you would feel the same way about a reproduction tag? Maybe we shouldnt go there.

Grin

Interesting, since I have photos of the VIN stamping under the Shelby tag on the fender before it was restored and when I bought it.  Wonder when that got changed........ Camera    And if you are saying the VIN tag on the windshield frame is a fake, maybe you should tell the MVD.

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 04:53:54 AM »

If a L71 can't be verified by a vin or a trim plate that means it would be easy to fake. Like a L79

Yes, and like an L88, and we know that L71s and L88s were built in St. Louis and Houston......... Hysterical

capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 05:44:53 AM »

I've owned quite a few Shelby's with odd numbers on them

One was a 69 GT 500 but had a "M" on the original aprons
Last year I had a 67 GT 500 with a "K" in both of it's original aprons.
I just sold a KR convertible that didn't have a "R" on either apron but the rest of the VIN was there

I currently have a 67 GT 350 that has the inner fender stamped but the original stamping was upside down.
The engraver stopped after three numbers and then started again on the same apron.

Most of the mistakes I see were made in California made Shelby's.

Bret

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »

4325 doesn't have an R on either apron.

I think that is the norm. Like 99% on a KR.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »

It wasn't my intention to stir the pot with this post, I just had a legitimate question about why the tags didn't match. Unless the owner participates in the discussion, all we have is incomplete information. The only two ID pics included in the description are the all too pristine (IMHO) buck tag and a window tag where the stamping doesn't look like the other 68 tags that I've seen. I am not an expert so I brought this up here for clarification.

What we don't have at this point are the door tag, Shelby tag (both easily reproduced) or fender apron stampings, which would probably shed more light on this particular car. However, unless I'm mistaken, the window tag is the "official" vehicle VIN number that should appear on the vehicles registration, correct?

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »

The only two ID pics included in the description are the all too pristine (IMHO) buck tag and a window tag where the stamping doesn't look like the other 68 tags that I've seen. I am not an expert so I brought this up here for clarification.

So how many have you seen? Documented? I willing to share what I have seen, so we are not potentially calling real cars "clones".

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:31:51 AM by Coralsnake » Logged

kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

I have two 68 window VIN tags for cars I own and have looked at several more in my search for a 68 Shelby. I am not an expert by any means which is why I brought the question to this forum.

Also, I am not calling this car a clone, I was asking if it could be in view of the VIN mismatch and/or if it had a known history by someone on the forum.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:35:42 PM by kjspeed » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!