The Official SAAC Forum
October 16, 2017, 08:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KR VIN Funny Business  (Read 1093 times)
kjspeed
SAAC Member

« on: October 06, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »

Ran across this supposed KR for sale in AZ. Looking through the pics there looks to be something funny going on with the VIN. The body buck tag shows 8T02R213228 but the odd looking window VIN shows 8T01R213228 which would indicate a coupe body. SA tag not shown. Clone?

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1028898/1968-shelby-gt500-for-sale-in-scottsdale-arizona-85260

For 1968, Ford replaced the previous 428 with the Cobra Jet 428, which featured larger valve heads, an intake manifold borrowed from the race-ready 427, and ram air induction, all aimed at pushing horsepower toward 400. It powered the new GT500 KR (King of the Road), which was the fastest, most luxurious Mustang to date. This fastback features a padded rollbar, as well as interior upgrades such as woodgrain trim and unique gauges, the exterior for the GT500 features a fiberglass nose and tail section, functional hood scoops, and four side air scoops. This Shelby is powered by a period correct, 428 Cobra Jet engine. The 4 speed transmission shifts great. The Medium Blue paint is in good shape but does show some flaws due to age. The interior is still in really good condition and the center console is autographed by the legendary, Carroll Shelby. A Marti Report has been ordered but rest assured, this is a Real Deal, Shelby GT500 KR. With only 1,053 of these ever produced, there is far fewer than that remaining. This car is very period correct. Get your hands on this investment before you can't find one. Call today. Power Steering,Instrumentation,Heater/Defroster,Front Disc Brakes,Factory Tach,Cowl Induction Hood,Bucket Seats,AM Radio,Alloy wheels

tesgt350

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

Believe it or not, Ford called both, the Coupe and the Fastback "Coupes".  I think it wasn't until 1969 that Ford changed that with the "Sports Roof" for the Fastback.

papa scoops

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

in regards to the vin, they should, but don't always match. have had several , many, cars in the past that were "numbers matching" but a typo was still made somewhere when new. not uncommon.  phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »

First of all, I strongly discourage anyone from using the "c-word" unless they have some very strong evidence. Even if it is in the form of skeptism. These labels can get attached to a solid car and they are hard to shake.

Ford built 100s of thousands of cars per year. Not every car had "matching" numbers. I have documented a handful of 1968s that do not have matching body serial codes or matching engine codes.

I am very confident the two tags shown are both originals. Thats based on looking at thousands of 1968 NJ tags and knowing the guys that restamp the tags.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:25:14 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
KR500

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

As Pete states mistakes were made. I have seen several 68's that have mistakes. I own one of them, a 68 Metuchen coupe. Engine VIN does not exactly match the other numbers.

Rodney

Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Concours Judge, SAAC Rep,OH
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

I suspect not all tags were stamped at the same time. I have seen a 1968 GT 500 that had three different engine codes. All the stampings were original.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »

Far be it from me to argue with the experts, and of course mistakes can be made in factory assembly line cars.  But, why would you want to pay 6 figures + for a car with these kind of questions, when there are many out there (most in fact) without these issues to be had?  Do you want to be the one explaining this for the entire time you own it, and trying to justify it when you sell?

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »

What is the "question" if all the tags are original?

Can an all matching number car have a bad history?

I think if you are concerned it is coming from not understanding what went on in 1968.

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »

The question to me would be a fastback with a coupe VIN on the VIN tag.  As a buyer, that would raise huge red flags, like a fastback with a 'vert VIN or vise versa.  I wouldn't touch it, too much 'splaining to do down the road, and at that price not worth it when ones without those problems are easily found.

gt350hr

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

We ALL know the Metuchen assembly plant was on drugs! Hysterical That ONE plant had more mis stamps than ALL the others combined. I owned a '68 350 in the early '70's . I pulled the engine ( for the first time) when the engine developed a rod knock. BOTH heads had the vin on the front AND the block was stamped too I didn't see the heads were stamped until after I had them hot tanked. I have talked to other owners that had both heads stamped too.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

The question to me would be a fastback with a coupe VIN on the VIN tag.  As a buyer, that would raise huge red flags, like a fastback with a 'vert VIN or vise versa.  I wouldn't touch it, too much 'splaining to do down the road, and at that price not worth it when ones without those problems are easily found.

So, hypothetically speaking what if you found a GT500 with a "Q" code engine? Would you be a buyer or pass?
How about a KR without an "R" engine code in the VIN stamping?

A 1968 Shelby GT 500 should be an "S" code and the engine code should be in the VIN right?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:24:15 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »

I'm going to take the middle ground here and say that if the tags are factory "mis stamped" I'd certainly need to b in love with the car and the price.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Looks great in that color btw.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »

I agree that if numbers and tags don't match there certainly should be extra caution taken. However like 'Pete states mistakes were made regularly in common. I currently have a convertible  in the shop that has an 8T03 stamping on all the aprons and everywhere else but the windshield tag is an 8T01. Both original and the legitimate
Have also seen 8T33 and 8T53  apron stamps
 Bottom line is this and is very simple. If you don't know what you're looking at or a red flag comes up you need to trust the people that know what they're looking at

RIP OTIS  2015
gt350hr

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

None of this happened on Corvettes. That's why there are so many '67 435s still around. Hysterical They were built "by the book" by hard working people that cared about the product they made and weren't on drugs . Metuchen workers didn't care.  Quality control , "he's on a break". HeadSpin

Now if this car was being offered by POOKIE , I would trow a flag as big as North Carolina in the air.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!