The Official SAAC Forum
December 16, 2017, 12:26:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear quarter seam sealer  (Read 515 times)
Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »

I recently saw pictures of this car under restoration and was concerned about the rear quarter sealer. I have accumulated several pictures that show the sealer going roughly up to the point where the lower valance would start(white line in picture).  It seems reasonable as the valance was "hanging" on the car when it was painted and would not have been removed to apply sealer.  It would also be reasonable to conclude that it might prove difficult to apply sealer behind the valance.

Maybe this is just one of those " depends on who was applying sealer that day" things.  Popcorn

I drew the white line in the picture to represent where I thought the sealer should stop(roughly).

Any thoughts?

Chris  Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:08:56 AM by Chris Thauberger » Logged

TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »

That's probably in the neighborhood. The valance was hanging but the lower attaching studs weren't fastened so it hung away from car an inch or two
Wouldn't see as much body color either. Mostly what would have sprayed through reverse light holes

RIP OTIS  2015
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »

Any thoughts?

Chris  Chug a Lug

Chris - guess we should start with what year (assming its a Shelby) we're discussing since the practice varies based on plant, year and even shorter time periods   Chug a Lug

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

My bad.

Its a 1968 Dearborn Mustang, not a Shelby.

I just think that sealer go about 5 inches more than it should. Not a huge deal, I'm just fussy about these things. Small things add up.

Chris  Chug a Lug

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »

My bad.

Its a 1968 Dearborn Mustang, not a Shelby.
I just think that sealer go about 5 inches more than it should. Not a huge deal, I'm just fussy about these things. Small things add up.

For that year and plant I have documented a number of originals that were applied from the vent/drain to that area of the trunk drop behind the rear valance so it looks pretty close to what at least one worker was doing during that production.  Since this is a Shelby site will refrain from posting a picture of some examples  
You know where to ask to see them Wink

Would agree that the amount of body color in that area is way too much and does not make sense based on how the car was originally painted. Would guess someone shot it without the valance attached/hung on the car especially given the finish of that rear cross member. Wow that's allot

Takeaway is that this is why its important to identify when and where    Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:57:33 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »

Thanks Jeff

I do know where to ask for pics. I should have posted this over there as well.

I just think of this site as home on the internet.

Sometimes I forget its a Shelby site, probably because there are some many post unrelated to Shelby's.  Shocked

Chris   Chug a Lug

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!