The Official SAAC Forum
December 11, 2017, 12:48:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '66 GT350 side scoop blind mounting rivets  (Read 1282 times)
kram350

Email
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:18 PM »

I'm I correct in: 1/8" blind rivets with a back up washer on front top and bottom rivet only, all rivets not painted after install? Thanks in advance

6S1640

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »

Hi Kram350,

One eighth sounds right with washer.  But which side they are installed is a function of when the car was built.  Early cars, the rivets are installed from inside the car with interior removed.  Later cars from outside.  This was a cost/labor savings not having to remove the interior to install the duct fittings and ducts.

See:

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=27408.0

Cory

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »

Think Cory is referring to the duct ends rather than the scoops themselves.

It would be nice to know what car or time period of car your asking but typically scoop rivets installed from the inside with washers only on the first rivet - one top one bottom. not painted or blacked out after installation

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
6S1640

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »

It would be nice to know what car or time period of car your asking but typically scoop rivets installed from the inside with washers only on the first rivet - one top one bottom. not painted or blacked out after installation

Yes, Jeff, the duct fitting or ends.  Thanks for the clarification.

Cory

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:53:03 AM »

Thats exactly what I have, only rivets on 1st top and bottom. Still holding sort of tight.. not bad for a few years on Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:30:56 AM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
6S1640

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »

Hi Jeff,

If the later cars got the duct fittings and rivets installed from the outside the car, wouldn't that mean the rivets on the scoops were also from outside the car? Does that mean there are only two rivets on the leading inside flanges of the scoops?

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

Hi Jeff,

If the later cars got the duct fittings and rivets installed from the outside the car, wouldn't that mean the rivets on the scoops were also from outside the car? Does that mean there are only two rivets on the leading inside flanges of the scoops?

Yes the very late (approx last 10% of the production) the scoops were retained from the outside surface. Not sure of  the style ot type of retainer as I've never removed one from an original just have picture    Camera     Chug a Lug

As mentioned the OP should have included what car he was asking about to get a focused, exact response to his question

Jeff Speegle
6S2020

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

2020 (late april early may ford build) has its original scoops and duct fittings and they are all mounted with rivets applied from the inside.
also can confirm one washer top and bottom that the leading rivets for the scoops pull up on.
I doubt same type of rivets would have been used to secure the scoop from the outside.
Also Jeff, if interiors were not pulled on last 10% or so that would mean that the rail used to retain the bottom of the the fibre glass panel would still be present and not removed.( you once questioned that 2020s was still present) Interior would have been pulled on 2020.
So quarter window was fitted with interior sail panel in place on those (? ) last 10% of production?

Thanks,
Darryll

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:19:03 PM by 6S2020 » Logged

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Better to be a Racer for a minute than a spectator for a life time.
kram350

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »

Car is 2072. I was only speaking of the side scoop rivets, not the hose attachment to the body. So... no black out paint on the exposed rivet(s) and washer(s).

Not sure how you would attach a side scoop to the body with a blind rivet from the outside? Would need to be a pretty slim pop rivet gun and special rivet?  I thought I read somewhere that S/A was thinking of bonding scoops on, which would negate the rivet thing altogether?

6S2020

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »

I'm I correct in: 1/8" blind rivets with a back up washer on front top and bottom rivet only, all rivets not painted after install? Thanks in advance

Short answer to this question is yes.  Chug a Lug

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:51 AM »

2020 (late april early may ford build) has its original scoops and duct fittings and they are all mounted with rivets applied from the inside.
also can confirm one washer top and bottom that the leading rivets for the scoops pull up on.
I doubt same type of rivets would have been used to secure the scoop from the outside.
Also Jeff, if interiors were not pulled on last 10% or so that would mean that the rail used to retain the bottom of the the fibre glass panel would still be present and not removed.( you once questioned that 2020s was still present) Interior would have been pulled on 2020.
So quarter window was fitted with interior sail panel in place on those (? ) last 10% of production?

Thanks,
Darryll

PM sent  Chug a Lug

Jeff Speegle
6S2020

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

^^^^^
Thanks Jeff, clears up our previous discussion, all good

kram350

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

From the discussion above , the sheet metal rail used to retain the bottom of the the interior fibre glass panel should or should not be present?

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

From the discussion above , the sheet metal rail used to retain the bottom of the the interior fibre glass panel should or should not be present?

If you remove it then there is no place for the interior side panel, sail panel and the thin trim piece to attach to

Jeff Speegle
gt350hr

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »

6S477 has 3/16ths rivets on the bottom row of the driver's side scoop.  I know they are original because was the first one to take it off of the car 40 + years ago. The other side is all 1/8th. Strange things happened back then.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!