The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 02:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobra looses it at Goodwood  (Read 1005 times)
NC TRACKRAT

Email
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »

Bummer! Just like VIR, you go off-track in the wet grass and it feels like the car goes faster.

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/ac-cobra-crash-cringe-inducing-demonstration-goodwood-revivals-greatness?utm_source=&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=image-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
SAAC Member

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »

Shocked  ouch

tesgt350

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »

It looks like he didn't even try to turn.

propayne

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »

yikes -

Boy, that aluminum sure is soft  Tongue

- Phillip

Bob Gaines

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »

FYI many Cobras raced across the pond have stand ins for the real thing.Same thing happens over here I am sure but to what extent I do not know. I had long heard that owners would buy legit cars to qualify for vintage racing over there (which is BIG over there) and use replica cars made up to be substitutes for racing . After I sold CSX 2506 to a party in Belgium it wasn't too much later that I saw a picture of it's "stand in" at speed on the track in a racing venue. It was obvious to me that the shape was completely different which validated for me of what I had heard. The point is that it still hurts to watch but more then likely it is another stand in. A little less of a hurt anyway. I still feel bad for the guy.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pmustang

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »

I've been to numerous Goodwoods and with all the cars being on full exhibition with signage above them I'd be amazed if any of the cars were stand in

Not arguing with you but that is a pretty serious event with cars being flown in from all over the world. I would the people there would go bonkers if a fake was among the real ones

Bob Gaines

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

I've been to numerous Goodwoods and with all the cars being on full exhibition with signage above them I'd be amazed if any of the cars were stand in

Not arguing with you but that is a pretty serious event with cars being flown in from all over the world. I would the people there would go bonkers if a fake was among the real ones

I think that if it were obvious or widely known that a fake /clone etc. was participating there would be a uproar. I do not know how wide spread it is just that it happens. The Monterey Historics is a serious event too with the same kind of expectations and the same kind of participants. With that said I have walked the pits over the years and have on numerous occasions seen evidence of "stand ins" vs the genuine article in regards to some of the Ford powered big bore contingent. I am sure there are many that weren't so obvious that I missed given my purpose in the pits was that of enjoyment and relaxation. My observations there were random and not as member of the Shelby police. Hysterical  There are others here that have seen the same thing and much more then I have witnessed on my sporadic Historic week visits. FYI If the scrutineers can't tell then you will not hear about anyone going bonkers. Call me cynical but I suspect the same thing happens in Europe in at least some instances . As I said before my Cobra had a convincing stand in racing in Europe but it didn't fool me . The point is that they most likely don't know a fake is among them. I am not cynical enough to think that the powers to be knowingly approve of the practice. Just my opinion based on my observations.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pmustang

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »

Gotcha. Good points.  I guess a lot of folks including myself could not ID well done clone

I wanted around the 68 and prior parking lot like a starry eyed teen. 

vernonestes

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

I will add that, while there are plenty of original Cobras and GT40s which run at Goodwood, there are plenty of replicas of each as well.

For example...

Not one of the six...

Not one of the six...

Not one of the six...

And those are just Daytona Coupe spec cars. The list goes on and on with Glescoe GT40s and Kirkham derived Cobras.

Personally, I dont mind the fact that many of the cars are replicas. IMO, that just makes for better racing because the cars are driving like they are race cars without any pre existing history. Pretty fun stuff to watch.

Kind regards,
Vern

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:11 AM »

I've been schooled gents.  thanks.  peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!