The Official SAAC Forum
September 21, 2017, 02:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front clip bolts  (Read 324 times)
Woody

Email
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »

No 145 is almost back together after close to 2 years in restoration.   There are 4 bolts located just in front of the center high beams that hold the front fiberglass clip to the headlight bracket.    In my case I believe they are "castle bolts" but at Indy I saw several cars that had bolts that were cut on top so they could be tightened with a flat time screw driver.     what is the correct bolt and where can I get them.

car 26-JD

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »

Woody these? see below...

* Nose Fasteners b.jpg (49.75 KB, 792x468 - viewed 101 times.)

1967 GT350 - car #26
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »

Looks like it was built that way.  But, it seems there are the "dress" washers missing under the screw heads.
    I call them "Pool table washers" as you see them on the perimeter wood trim on pool tables.
  So, it goes: screw - washer - the rubber - and through the hole.

OK, so now what does the bottom look like?  Just a nut, or washer then nut?

Woody

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »

Thanks,   I guess I can get those screws at Lowes if I want to be correct.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

Thanks,   I guess I can get those screws at Lowes if I want to be correct.
You probably will not have good luck at Lowes or home Depot for something that looks original. It doesn't matter what hardware you use if you don't care if it is original or not . One will hold as good as the other.   FYI The slotted screw head is countersunk to fit the countersunk contour of the beauty washer. There is a rubber grommet that goes into the fiberglass hole before putting the hardware in. The rubber was meant to keep the thin raised edge of the beauty washer from digging into the fiberglass. The thread of the screw is machine thread and sometimes a additional washer and sometimes not. The nut was typically a nyloc style nut (nylon insert used to lock). It has been a while since I tried to source any of the components but had luck in the yellow servolite boxes at the local hardware store.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!