The Official SAAC Forum
September 25, 2017, 05:14:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generational  (Read 1117 times)
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »

I agree with Vern anoutnthe Smithsonian, I talked to Bruce Larson who "donated" his 1989 World Campion Funny Car, you basically give up all rights to the car and they can do anything they want including selling it. Since the Smithsonian has only about 1/2 or 1% of what they own on display at any time a lot of stuff is stuffed in one of the many warehouses they have in the D.C. area. As to if I would really donate it, that's hard to tell. Ne side says a lot of people will be exposed to the car, another says no one will get to enjoy driving it. Some museums alllow you to display the car for a period of time while retaining ownership, others want you to "donate" the car to the and take some sort of tax break for the donation. What I'd really lie to see is a American Automoble Museum on the National Mall in D.C. and a rotating display of cars that the owners would allow to be displayed for a period of 12 - 24 months. That way the displays would always be fresh and inviting. The Smithsonian would own the buildings, but the owners would own the displays. Maybe it will happen and we could have SAAC 55 on the Mall,
Now that would be a great display. They could reopen the course they used for the one and only American LeMans series D.C. Grand Prix at RFK stadium and we could use Capital Raceway for the drag racing portion. We could have the ribbon cutting for the opening ceremonies done during the convention
Hey I can dream.
Vern thanks for the kind words about old 1431. I was checking it over today for a possible drive up to SAAC meeting in Lehigh Valley on Sunday and a trip over the NRA car show next week, then it's on to Hershey the first weekend in Oct and the town of Rockville car show the weeks after. Might make the show in Ridgley Maryland with special guest Richard Petty. A few other local shows mixed in and then it might be in the Classic Mustang display at the D.C. New Car Show in Jan/Feb 2018. If SAAC 43 is on the west coast, might try and talk the wife into driving to it. Life,is,too short not to enjoy it and as I am aging I'm trying to get in as much as I can before the time gpcomes when I can't .
I want to be able to look back at life and say "I did" rather then "I wish"

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!