The Official SAAC Forum
September 23, 2017, 04:14:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generational  (Read 1016 times)
Fixit7

« on: September 11, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »

Is it time? I am the 2nd owner of a 65, Yes the 65 GT350 is what everything else made is a descendant of. It's now 40+ years this is my "baby" & less than 45k, factory paint, beautiful! & no barn find,
This is my real love, yet my son has little interest, my relatives will Not inherit it, so what do I do? Find a collector? Auction? Time keeps going and I still have several years, yet is it time to pass my baby on to someone new? [& probably buy a new Shelby to drive on Sundays?] Everything, trophies, collected NOS parts, photo's, stay with the car. It is a middle 400 number production and would NOT go cheap $, Also Not good for a flip as there is no meat $ on the bone to do so. What would you do in my position?

SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

Unless you are about to keel over my advice would be to put the key in the ignition,turn it, and go somewhere very fast....then,and only then can you make a rational decision....mio due euro..... Party on

chad

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »

I will buy it

papa scoops

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »

lots of us old timers out there, same boat. now is when you see the prices jump for the true original cars that haven't been on the market before. phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
6s1802

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »

Keep driving it until they have to help you out of your wheelchair into the car

NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »

I can certainly relate to your concern but, IMHO, if you don't need the money (which loses value by the day and brings very little pride of ownership) but enjoy the car, then keep it until they pry your cold, dead hands from the steering wheel.  Chug a Lug

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »

What would you do in my position?

Become a SAAC member
Continue to drive and enjoy the car as you have for over 40+ years
List it here in the classifieds in great detail
or
Take it to a well known, national auction company and have them hawk it for you.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
06 GT

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »

Since your son isn't interested sell it before he would inherit it only to quick sale to some flipper. Low mileage orig paint car in todays market should be worth a pretty penny. Take a look at auction sales for similar cars add 10-20% (so you can filter out the tire kickers and flippers) sit back and wait. Once a buyer comes along you feel will be a good caretaker sell it to him/her. Buy a current fun car and stick the rest in a college fund for the grandkids.

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »

Since your son isn't interested sell it before he would inherit it only to quick sale to some flipper. Low mileage orig paint car in todays market should be worth a pretty penny. Take a look at auction sales for similar cars add 10-20% (so you can filter out the tire kickers and flippers) sit back and wait. Once a buyer comes along you feel will be a good caretaker sell it to him/her. Buy a current fun car and stick the rest in a college fund for the grandkids.

Agreed, but I would add let old Vern sell it for you, he always claims he has dozens of buyers for a car like that with cash, take him up on it......... Chug a Lug

Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »

I'm sort of in the same boat with a transition plan for my car. Son doesn't care, girls don't want it, I plan on driving it until I can't then I may donate it to some museum , Smithsonian is only 26 miles away or perhaps the Shelby museum in Boulder, maybe take a last big cross country trip and drop it off there. Visit every Shelby Club in every state that has one on the way.  Don't know, but I seem to be going to more and more funerals rather than weddings so it's always on my mind. If I croak out in the yard, wife is to hook 1999 F350 with 17,000 miles up to 2003 enclosed trailer with brand new wheels and tires,  load all the stuff into the trailer and truck, books, trophies, spare parts etc and sell it for about $150,000. My car is not nice enough for Vern, but it is a great driver car.

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
silverton_ford
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »

I'm 33 years old and an up and coming SAAC member.  I live and breathe these 50-year-old cars!  Yes, my younger friends are into newer cars, but I just don’t get excited about them.  I love anything Shelby related.  I read and study the registries daily.  I collect original literature.  I scrounge swap meets for NOS parts.  I follow Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook Shelby pages, follow every auction house, constantly hit refresh on the SAAC forum waiting for a new thread to come up and dream of buying my first Shelby someday….(yes, I have the disease too).  Don't give up hope on the "younger" generation.  There are many folks like Vern and I that are into these cars too.

Do whatever makes you happy with your car.  Personally, I would shy away from the big auctions.  Some folks have good luck, but some don't.  I wouldn't take that gamble if it was me, but I am fairly conservative as it is.

I have some "older" friends that talk similarly as you do about their cars.  If I was in your shoes I would install parts to keep the car comfortable and keep driving it.  Install AC, power steering, power brakes, new seats and an automatic.....then keep driving it and enjoying.  Of course keep the original parts on the shelf.   Bolt on/off parts will not hurt anything and you still get to enjoy the car.  (I know there are many opinions on this, but that is what I would do to keep the car going and be able to enjoy it).

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you,  Brian

My Cars:
1966 Mustang FB C-code
1969 Fairlane Cobra FB 428CJ - 4spd
6s1802

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »

6S1802 is part of the family. Rushed my wife to the hospital to have our daughter in that car, getting rid of it would be like selling off the kids

vernonestes

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »

Agreed, but I would add let old Vern sell it for you, he always claims he has dozens of buyers for a car like that with cash, take him up on it......... Chug a Lug

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the endorsement  Chug a Lug

My car is not nice enough for Vern, but it is a great driver car.

Hey Steve, ive seen your car and I would proudly have it Wink  Don't give it to the smithsonian though...it'll only be displayed on rare occasions and will be poorly cared for. I was just there a few months ago...none of the cars looked like they were in good order unfortunately.  The Shelby American Collection is certainly a worthy home for it though  Chug a Lug

There are many folks like Vern and I that are into these cars too.

Holy smokes, folks...you all are making me blush with all these mentions!  Hysterical

Is it time? I am the 2nd owner of a 65, Yes the 65 GT350 is what everything else made is a descendant of. It's now 40+ years this is my "baby" & less than 45k, factory paint, beautiful! & no barn find,
This is my real love, yet my son has little interest, my relatives will Not inherit it, so what do I do? Find a collector? Auction? Time keeps going and I still have several years, yet is it time to pass my baby on to someone new? [& probably buy a new Shelby to drive on Sundays?] Everything, trophies, collected NOS parts, photo's, stay with the car. It is a middle 400 number production and would NOT go cheap $, Also Not good for a flip as there is no meat $ on the bone to do so. What would you do in my position?

If your end goal is to maximize your sale proceeds, I would advise against an auction house. Most good cars don't need auction houses.

Kind regards,
Vern

jim mac

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 05:45:33 AM »

You say it is your "real love".  If you don't need the $ then why sell it?  My advice (for what its worth) is to drive it and enjoy it while you can; you may regret selling it later.   

"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough."  - Mario Andretti
Rodster-500

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

I'm sort of in the same boat with a transition plan for my car. Son doesn't care, girls don't want it, I plan on driving it until I can't then I may donate it to some museum , Smithsonian is only 26 miles away or perhaps the Shelby museum in Boulder, maybe take a last big cross country trip and drop it off there. Visit every Shelby Club in every state that has one on the way.  Don't know, but I seem to be going to more and more funerals rather than weddings so it's always on my mind. If I croak out in the yard, wife is to hook 1999 F350 with 17,000 miles up to 2003 enclosed trailer with brand new wheels and tires,  load all the stuff into the trailer and truck, books, trophies, spare parts etc and sell it for about $150,000. My car is not nice enough for Vern, but it is a great driver car.

Do your homework first. Depending how it's donated, the museum will have the right to sell it to help raise funds. 

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!