The Official SAAC Forum
November 20, 2017, 12:26:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 65/66 G.T. 350 Rear Badge  (Read 3326 times)
Bob Gaines

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »

It also looks like the 3 Scott Drake Emblems have the Pins in slightly different locations, looking at just the SD Emblems.
I suspect they didn't take into account that the emblems might have to go into original holes.  Frustration  Chalk it up to typical repro inconsistency.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »

Here's a picture of the Scott Drake repo and the original elblem, back side. Even have one of the orginal clips stuck on the pin

* IMG_1069.jpg (48.46 KB, 800x600 - viewed 101 times.)

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

Okay, I'll jump into this post. I have an original spare that I'm willing to part with. Given the prices of 65/66 original parts in today's market. As ridiculous as this may seem how's $300.00 with free shipping! Seem ridiculous? Don't buy it then.
Seriously though, this one has tarnished/oxidized a bit. See pics.

Cheers
~Earl J

* IMG_1265.jpg (56.31 KB, 800x600 - viewed 78 times.)

* IMG_1266.jpg (54.91 KB, 800x600 - viewed 80 times.)

* IMG_1267.jpg (50.17 KB, 800x600 - viewed 69 times.)

2015 VP NorCal Region SAAC
2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
kingchief

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

Hello,

When 406 was restored, they put on a Scott Drake repop [bottom one].  I had purchased a rear badge from Tony Branda in the early 80's [top one] and kept it in a drawer hoping to match it with a car in later years.  I found the Branda rear badge and then noticed the size differences.  I documented the differences a few years ago and never thought about it...hence the photo.  I have since removed the Scott Drake one and installed the one from Branda.

Just for info.

Cheers,

Steve

* GT-350 difference.jpg (48.96 KB, 800x600 - viewed 105 times.)

SFM6S406
Bob Gaines

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 10:44:10 AM »

Hello,

When 406 was restored, they put on a Scott Drake repop [bottom one].  I had purchased a rear badge from Tony Branda in the early 80's [top one] and kept it in a drawer hoping to match it with a car in later years.  I found the Branda rear badge and then noticed the size differences.  I documented the differences a few years ago and never thought about it...hence the photo.  I have since removed the Scott Drake one and installed the one from Branda.

Just for info.

Cheers,

Steve
I believe the one you got from Branda is a legit later version one. Branda even today still has a few various items in inventory that were part of large buy outs of original stock back in the day . Some he ran through and other more obscure things not so fast. For instance he still was selling the plastic emblem surround for 67 Shelby fender emblems up until a year ago .Maybe he still has some. He had a lot of 69 Shelby convert rear seat belt retractor related items up until recently also. 

gt350hr

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

Bob ,
    I think he also has a deal with ACSCO.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
karguy

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »

Interesting conversation about the GT 350 badges on 66 cars. I know that without a doubt 281 and 282 did not have GT 350 badges on the tail light panel from SA. What do the Shelby gurus or the research show as to when SA began using them and did they carry them all the way through the 66 production run? Sorry if this has already been discussed in a previous conversation that I had missed.
 Thanks in advance, Karl

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »

Interesting conversation about the GT 350 badges on 66 cars. I know that without a doubt 281 and 282 did not have GT 350 badges on the tail light panel from SA. What do the Shelby gurus or the research show as to when SA began using them and did they carry them all the way through the 66 production run? Sorry if this has already been discussed in a previous conversation that I had missed.
 Thanks in advance, Karl

Believe that the production period your referring to was very short and affected a limited number of cars. Not aware/don't recall another period for the rest of 66 production when that was repeated. Sure buyers would not be thrilled missing an emblem

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Bob Gaines

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »

Believe that the production period your referring to was very short and affected a limited number of cars. Not aware/don't recall another period for the rest of 66 production when that was repeated. Sure buyers would not be thrilled missing an emblem
+1 . a interesting historical footnote but not looked at as much of a positive IMO. It is typically looked at as just missing or tailpanel replaced by the uninformed. Being that as it may I would never suggest installing one on a original plain tailpanel car.

karguy

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

Bob,
I completely agree with you that it is better to not add an emblem where there was none originally. I do remember the owner of 282, (David Walker) added an emblem to his then car around 1976. 281 and 282 where ordered from SA by Richardson Ford in Albuquerque at the same time, and arrived together. Virtually identical cars except 281 had a radio and laMans stripes, 282 was stripe delete and radio delete. Both had Kelsey Hayes steel wheels and automatics. FYI
It would be interesting to know if there was a pattern of which 1966 cars came from SA with or without the emblem.
Thank you gentlemen, Karl   

gt350hr

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »

240 didn't have one originally . I added it during my ownership. Located in the same position as 477.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
6R07mi

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »

Bob,
I completely agree with you that it is better to not add an emblem where there was none originally. I do remember the owner of 282, (David Walker) added an emblem to his then car around 1976. 281 and 282 where ordered from SA by Richardson Ford in Albuquerque at the same time, and arrived together. Virtually identical cars except 281 had a radio and laMans stripes, 282 was stripe delete and radio delete. Both had Kelsey Hayes steel wheels and automatics. FYI
It would be interesting to know if there was a pattern of which 1966 cars came from SA with or without the emblem.
Thank you gentlemen, Karl   

Karl, I owned #283 also an automatic back "76" - "81", to my best recollection it had the emblem. The 1st block of 66 auto cars were completed by SAI early in the production run to get them out to the dealers. I wondered if any material shortages would have affected the manual trans cars as they were not as high a priority at the start of 66 model year??
just a thought....

regards,
jim p

6S283 former
66 GT notchback
67 GT Fastback
70 "Boss 351 the Machine"
Honda CX500
66 San Jose GT -current project
karguy

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »

Jim, thanks for your insight and recollection of 283.  Any idea of what ever became of 283?  Not sure if there's ever been a pole done on the forum concerning this topic, I think it would be very interesting. Seems a fair amount of 66s acquired an emblem in the 70s and 80s when repops became fairly available,  I know that 282 had an emblem added about 1977.  It also seems like there should be some photographic evidence out there, 66s on transport trucks, or on finished cars in groups at SA waiting to be shipped?  Seems I've heard some rumors about a limited number of 66s that had their emblem placed on the left side of the tail light panel, wonder if there's any documented examples. What say others?
Karl

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »

........... It also seems like there should be some photographic evidence out there, 66s on transport trucks, or on finished cars in groups at SA waiting to be shipped? 

Old photos would be of little or no help since placing car numbers on each would be very difficult to impossible. Also cars were not shipped out in numerical order. Also one would guess that period photo documentation might only be available for 1-2% of production and even then you would be back to the VIN challenge

Lots of earlier 66's didn't get the emblems but most have been repainted and many have likely had them added. No way of telling now unless some documentation appeared and there does not see to be any indication that SA kept records of such things. Not sure why you would think there should be more pictures of evidence from a group of people more interested in selling cars, making money and  worrying about the next problem or model year if there was going to be one.

Seems I've heard some rumors about a limited number of 66s that had their emblem placed on the left side of the tail light panel, wonder if there's any documented examples. What say others?
Karl

Never even heard the rumor that any received them on the wrong side. New one on me 
Did you hear the one about them delivering them with 6 cylinders and automatics???  Heard that one 30 years ago.  Roll Eyes

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
karguy

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »

Jeff, certainly didn't mean to start an ugly rumor that some 66s had the emblem mounted on the left side of the tail light panel fromSA. I had merely heard this a couple of times over the years and made sure I represented it as only a rumor in my post.
 You are absolutely right about the trouble with documenting which Cars had emblems based on early photos, there probably would be no way to document which cars And which groups they belong too.  Being fairly new to this forum I may have missed a previous conversation or Poll concerning the tail light panel emblems. Do you think  it could be useful to begin a poll on the subject?
Thanks for your clarity, Karl

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:22:05 AM by karguy » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!