The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 12:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally stock tires, wheels and wheel covers come together  (Read 474 times)
Corey.Bowcutt
SAAC Member

Email
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »

It has been a year and a half since I decided I wanted to use the stock wheel covers I got with my car when I bought the car.  I did not have stock wheels however.  But thanks to this forum I was able to acquire a full set of 5 wheels.  I then decided to refurbish my wheel covers and again with the help of this forum learned just how to do it.  So I just received a set of large letter GOODYEAR tires I purchased again using contacts from this forum.  So the journey is complete.  Come spring I will actually mount them on the car.

You may notice I made sure the folks mounting and balancing the tires mounted them such that the GOODYEAR is centered on the opposite side from the valve stem.  That way when the wheel cover is installed the GOODYEAR is centered over the cobra.  Just a small detail I thought would look cool.

* IMG_1229.jpg (63.35 KB, 800x600 - viewed 63 times.)
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »

Well done

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
Shelby_0022

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

Awesome job!  PeelOut

1967 GT350 - 0022
1968 GT350 Convertible - 02778
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »

Very nice!  But keep watch on those Kelsey tires, I had two sets that had tread separations along the outside tread and came apart on the road.  Good luck!

* IMG_1980.jpg (121.77 KB, 800x1200 - viewed 65 times.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:43:15 AM by CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr) » Logged
shelbymann1970

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

It has been a year and a half since I decided I wanted to use the stock wheel covers I got with my car when I bought the car.  I did not have stock wheels however.  But thanks to this forum I was able to acquire a full set of 5 wheels.  I then decided to refurbish my wheel covers and again with the help of this forum learned just how to do it.  So I just received a set of large letter GOODYEAR tires I purchased again using contacts from this forum.  So the journey is complete.  Come spring I will actually mount them on the car.

You may notice I made sure the folks mounting and balancing the tires mounted them such that the GOODYEAR is centered on the opposite side from the valve stem.  That way when the wheel cover is installed the GOODYEAR is centered over the cobra.  Just a small detail I thought would look cool.
nice. As a guy who used to build wheels at one of our facilities I got to ask how much weights were used? On new cars the disc on steel wheels was "offset" and the tires were checked and a round sticker(green or orange)  on the tire where it was meant to line up with the valve stem to offset the "unbalanced" new tire so to speak. The sticker was always lined up with the valve stem hole to limit the amount of lead on a wheel. If you ever seen new cars over the years going on a car hauler you would see these stickers on the tires and it was always by the valve stem. Take 5 wheels a car and cut the amount of lead = mass savings per year in lead weights for car manufacturers. I have watched tire installer balance tires before at tire stores and stop, break down the tire, spin it and start over again. They didn't have the dot luxury for balancing. I would think even with the idea these wheels had to be balanced with this much heavier  hubcap I would think when the tire was  installed at the factory they did it in the normal method? I wonder about that. BTW on my 69-70 Shelby wheels I have mass quantities of weights on 2 wheels and 1 set fell off last winter. I wonder if they should have "spun" the tire to try and lower the  sticker weights on the inside of the wheel. Gary

SAAC Member
1970 GT350 vert
1969 Mach1 SCJ 4 speed DP car
caspian65

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »

Very nice!  But keep watch on those Kelsey tires, I had two sets that had tread separations along the outside tread and came apart on the road.  Good luck!

Looks like rubbing on the wheel lip/molding caused that.

karguy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »

Good Job! Donít you love it when a plan comes together and it works out so well? Amazing how knowledgeable and willing to help the SAAC forum members are, someone always has the info you need.
Karl

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »

Looks like rubbing on the wheel lip/molding caused that.

Nope, stock fenders, stock suspension, stock wheels, stock tires, stock hubcaps, no rubbing, poor quality tire.  They replaced them no charge, said it has happened before.

caspian65

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

Nope, stock fenders, stock suspension, stock wheels, stock tires, stock hubcaps, no rubbing, poor quality tire.  They replaced them no charge, said it has happened before.

Good to know.

Had one of the older repro sets on my '68 convertible, looked good on the front side, rubber all cracked up on the back.

Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it, itís a ďCapitalĒ idea

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »

They Look fantastic, MCACN Show this year? Car will be 50 years old
Still waiting for my original wheels to come back from Jim Cowles

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Corey.Bowcutt
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words.  To get a "well done" from Pete is high praise.  It is awesome when a plan comes together.

I took a look at the weights they added to balance and it does not look to me like an inordinate amount.  One or two per wheel.

Steve, I am not sure my car is worthy of such a show.  It is very much a driver and has no long ownership (by me anyway) or huge milage credits to its name.  I may very well go to the show but getting my car there would be problematic.

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »

Nicely done.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
stickshift

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »

They really look great.

papa scoops

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »

as a side note, you should rebalance with the wheel covers on (due to the heavy weight) phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it, itís a ďCapitalĒ idea

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words.  To get a "well done" from Pete is high praise.  It is awesome when a plan comes together.

I took a look at the weights they added to balance and it does not look to me like an inordinate amount.  One or two per wheel.

Steve, I am not sure my car is worthy of such a show.  It is very much a driver and has no long ownership (by me anyway) or huge milage credits to its name.  I may very well go to the show but getting my car there would be problematic.

Iíve seen youíre car itís worthy, plus you donít see 68 GT350ís very often. Doesnít have to fit into one of the bigger exhibits, but this year they will probably have a Class of 68 section.

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!