The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:23:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black vs. natural plated alternator pulley  (Read 623 times)
karguy

« on: September 09, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »

Hello all, I need more information please. Should 6S281 have a black alternator pulley or a plated one? When did they change Pulley finishes? My guess is black! I am looking at a nicely rebuilt unit with a black pulley on eBay. It has a paint stamp c5af-10300-d.  Any opinions about if I should use one of these or not. It looks correct as far as I know.
 Thanks in advance and as always, Karl

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »

Believe you would do well with a black alternator pulley for your specific car. Guessign that your car has been restored in the past and you lack any historic documentation.

Lets start out with the alternator your looking at - First the ink stamp can be placed on any alternator so other features are the important thing. Details of the front half include things like other stampings (if they are there) in the metal and shape of the adjustment arm attachment point part of that half

The rear case has its own details and features that will help determine if its correct for yout car. Rear markings, possible lettering and shape of the rear bearing area all need to be looked at.

So we're going to need more details.

As for the pulley you also have different engineering markings - or how they were applied to compare as well as the material the pulley is made from if we want to look at all of the possible details of ones out there floating around

Older thread with some dead picture links courtesy of Photo Bu***

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2626.45

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:23:48 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
karguy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »

Jeff, Thanks you very much for the information and the reference to an earlier thread concerning these alternators and pulleys, ( very informative ). Although I can tell By the location of the part number stamped on the pulley makes it a reproduction, everything else looks exactly right On the restored alternator and pulley assembly on eBay. Maybe one day I will actually find a original pulley that I can restore and swap out for the black reproduction. I did go ahead and buy the eBay unit. Thanks again for your help, Karl

gt350hr

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »

477 has a black pulley on the original alternator with a single orange ink stamp.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
karguy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »

Interesting, any chance of getting a picture of your pulley showing the number and the orange Mark? Thank you

gt350hr

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

I am photo challenged. The ink stamp is the same as is being applied to restored alternators . Mine is only stamped once ( many restorers stamp them twice) and the orientation is down , not on the side where it can be seen from the engine compartment. I refinished the pulley years ago and it was not plated under the paint ( semi gloss black). My original engine is "hibernating" in a plastic bag since it has been out of the car for the last 40 years I have been drag racing my Hertz car.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
karguy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »

Thanks for the info on your alternator, very helpful. Your car sounds awesome, would love to see it in person someday.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!