The Official SAAC Forum
November 22, 2017, 02:22:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New show on History Channel featuring the 1967 Shelby GT500 Convertible, Car 139  (Read 1827 times)
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »

Everyone set your DVD's for tomorrow morning for the  History Channel's new series "Volo House of Cars". Sunday, 9/10 at 7am. This will feature the one and only 1967 Shelby G.T. 500 Convertible (car no. 139).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc080IcFdrc

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

richstang

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »

Normally I wouldn't jump to comment on a new TV show, but I felt compelled here. This was just about a complete waste of time, if not for the glimpse of the "styles collection" and the view of those beautiful ragtops.

I'm left with the impression the Volo "Museum" is nothing more than a glorified used car dealer. The marketing ploy to charge an admission of $15 to view some nice cars, for sale, left me bothered. Maybe it was the editing, but I didn't care for the attitude left by the father about money. Where was the car passion? It seemed like it was all about making a deal to flip the latest acquisition. No thanks, I'll pass on any future episodes!

In comparison, I'd much rather watch episodes of Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini. We know he's there to make money, but it's not thrown in our face. We get a clear sense of his auto passion. There's all kinds of neat classic cars, we learn a bit of history about them, and maybe see a trick or two on the mechanical side from the comical old man with his shared knowledge and quirky sense of humor.

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:33:36 AM »

Rich, I totally agree.  Brian was very comfortable on camera, and his collection is top shelf.  Still, I can't imagine this show will make it past the initial pilot phase.  The Grams came off as money driven, used car salesmen and that may or may not be accurate.  It kind of reminded me of another car show, South Beach Classics.  That guy comes off the same way. 

Carini in comparison, never comes off that way.  He is a class act.

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »

I'm left with the impression the Volo "Museum" is nothing more than a glorified used car dealer.
+1   Look at Model A Ford on ebay and they have 9 Model A's for sale right now. Museum or used car dealer? Undecided

TOB

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »

My father purchased two cars there without me inspecting about twenty years ago

One a 69 Mach one arrived by horseless carriages and the area underneath the car had divots of rust all over it.  The underside was truly dreadful.  The front tyres had the RWL turned to the inside and sliced off as it was hitting the uppernball joint area they sliced into the sidewall so the tyres were junk and deadly 

I spoke to the previous owner and he said the car was an Illinois car he had from new and sold when it was rusty up to the door sides 

Volo described the car as an excellent restoration to my dad who trusts folks

Second was a Chevy pickup  1969 I believe.  Broke down in every conceivable way then the filler in the cab corners fell out and then the big one....I was under the truck and noticed some yellow on the frame rail. I went to touch it and the frame rail was formed from expanding spray foam

Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »

That was then, and, in terms of ownership...long ago.  The current owner, Mr Styles, had it all redone - twice - in it's 68 prototype configuration and again it the 67 GT 500 configuration.  It is top notch now.  One of the best.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »

I had heard other horror stories over the years about Volo restored cars. I got a first hand look when Brian bought 0139 at auction. I had advised him at the auction what a amateurish job I thought it was based on what I could see and that it would have to be properly re restored after buying. While Volo owned 139 they "restored" it. If you can call it that. I had heard that the during restoration it was used as a drawing card that paying visitors could watch while the rare car was being "restored". What a sight that must have been to anyone familiar with proper concours restoration practices. After Brian bought and sent it to the first Restoration shop I was relatively near by so I came by to witness the tear down from time to time. The car was virtually "sculpted" out of bondo from the doors back.Some of the thickest bondo I have ever seen . 2 inch's in one place as I remember. During the strip down process before starting on the 68 prototype transformation process some of the most horrendous bodywork I have ever seen was revealed. Not to mention extremely poor non bodywork restoration workmanship. The only part that hadn't been messed with was the firewall and harness under the dash. Still dirty and dusty but un messed with I assume out of laziness but that was it's saving grace. Hysterical The other little miracle was the original C6 was still with the car.The way the Amp gauge harness was run reminded me of a time bomb with a hair trigger fuse before catastrophic electrical fire could happened . Really scary that it already hadn't happened. Just one example. 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
gt350hr

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »

I laughed at the AUDACITY of those people! Just go down there and buy it back so they can turn around a flip it for more. Especially after Brian ''made it right" at considerable time and  expense. IMHO it is people like that who treat cars like trading cards that have created problems in our hobby. Reality shows seem to be showing the reality that these shops are a bunch of HACKS. The monkey has run it's course and the phantom should be the next to be dumped. Only the Mopar guy tells how long he's been on a build even though he acts like Bozo the clown.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
stephen_becker

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

Looking forward to Brian posting here once he gets thru the storm -  excited to hear what he has to say about how he felt the TV show came out - SGB

stephen_becker

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »

I have just been informed that Brian Styles has been banished from the SAAC forums and no longer can post nor read anything on this website

SGB

427heaven

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

I laughed at the AUDACITY of those people! Just go down there and buy it back so they can turn around a flip it for more. Especially after Brian ''made it right" at considerable time and  expense. IMHO it is people like that who treat cars like trading cards that have created problems in our hobby. Reality shows seem to be showing the reality that these shops are a bunch of HACKS. The monkey has run it's course and the phantom should be the next to be dumped. Only the Mopar guy tells how long he's been on a build even though he acts like Bozo the clown.
When the Monkees painter and head mechanic AAron quit it was over... When the mopar BOZO starts dancing around I always wait for his painter to smash him in his mouth it appears they have been close and maybe he is gone also. I saw a new episode and they had a new painter,maybe BOZO got smashed. Hysterical

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »

Me thinks you are not on the same page......

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
gt350hr

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »

Popcorn

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

I was actually at the unveiling of the 1967 Shelby convertible. I was able to find one of the brothers and ask him some questions about the restoration. Lets just say I didnt leave with a warm fuzzy feeling that the decisions made were in the best interests of the hobby. Then they started promoting it as a "3 million dollar" car....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:46:10 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »

I wonder about the statement that Brian has been banished....

I have just been informed that Brian Styles has been banished from the SAAC forums and no longer can post nor read anything on this website

Surely, he can read the website, you dont even have to log in to do that...It may be self imposed?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!