The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 07:06:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Supercharged 1968 stuff  (Read 3113 times)
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

I will take some pictures as I detail the engine and drop it in.....hopefully soon

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »

I will take some pictures as I detail the engine and drop it in.....hopefully soon

Make it easy on yourself, just set up a web cam.  Hysterical

Camera

Chris

1968 GT 500   SAAC 42 Concours Gold                     1966 Mustang drop top 4 speed Pony Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" 
TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

Paxton motor is completely installed in 4102. It is  sick with all that has to fit under that hood. No more pictures online as it will be debuted in November at MCACN.  Lot of cool history here

RIP OTIS  2015
Rodster-500

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »

Make it easy on yourself, just set up a web cam.  Hysterical

Camera

Chris

Hysterical

Good one! Chug a Lug

Waiting for the link.  Wink

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
gt350hr

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »

From what I have observed and learned is that the Studebaker Avanti used orange color Paxton blowers and the black blowers were offered over the counter in '65-'66.  The factory Paxton '66-'67 Shelby GT350's received Ford Blue blowers that were designated, in the serial number of the blower, with either an "S" or "C" to show they were produced for Shelby.  Over the counter '68 Paxton units were white in color and may have an "S" in the blower units serial number for Shelby.

I would think it may be possible '68 GT500 #56 could've been equipped with a blue color blower if Shelby was experimenting with this car toward the end of '67.  The reason this may be is because Shelby had an over stock of '66-'67 Paxton kits leftover at the end of '67, which were painted blue and had the "COBRA" carb bonnet (1968-70 carb bonnets had the "SHELBY" name on them).  This of course is my opinion on what color the blower should be for #56.      

The early "VS" variable speed blowers were a reddish orange for sure. "Fixed" or single speed blowers were black and the units made for SAI were blue. When SAI shut down "most" of the overstock blower kits went to Ford Parts and Service Division. Some went to Ray's High Performance ( about 5) as these were likely in the HiPerformance Motors inventory. Those kits used an S5MK part number on the almost three foot square boxes the kit came in. The '68 units were boxed as S7MK and had white blowers and "SHELBY" lids on the boxes. A friend of mine bought about 20 kits from Autosport Industries , the marketing entity for "Shelby" parts, when they went out of business. He sold them in Hot Rod Magazine  ( you can still find the ad in early '70ish Hot Rods in the classified ads. $550 IIRC got you a complete kit less the gauges. I bought three or four myself.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »

Good to know, this car will have a black blower!

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
johnsshelby

oh honey, let me buy it......

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »

In 1971 I remember the Ford Master Parts book listing the Paxton blowers somewhere between  350.00 to 550.00.   I never thought about the color.

TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »

The early "VS" variable speed blowers were a reddish orange for sure. "Fixed" or single speed blowers were black and the units made for SAI were blue. When SAI shut down "most" of the overstock blower kits went to Ford Parts and Service Division. Some went to Ray's High Performance ( about 5) as these were likely in the HiPerformance Motors inventory. Those kits used an S5MK part number on the almost three foot square boxes the kit came in. The '68 units were boxed as S7MK and had white blowers and "SHELBY" lids on the boxes. A friend of mine bought about 20 kits from Autosport Industries , the marketing entity for "Shelby" parts, when they went out of business. He sold them in Hot Rod Magazine  ( you can still find the ad in early '70ish Hot Rods in the classified ads. $550 IIRC got you a complete kit less the gauges. I bought three or four myself.
When SAI was originally going to offer Paxton's on 68 350s they went as far as to order 500 head units from Paxton ( I've seen purchase order). When they canceled order Paxton already had significant amount built  They were black. Rather than strip the paint when they went to market as white they just painted over the black. If you find an old blower that is choped paint and there is black under you likely have one of those. That is how we found blower for #308.  Because of this I feel black for 56 and white for 4102 is entirly appropriate

RIP OTIS  2015
gt350hr

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 07:41:06 AM »

+1   White over black for sure. 500 is the number I heard as well.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
PBF

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »

Hysterical

I'm curious; is this belt routeing as conceived at S.A.I.? It would seem engineering would find it inadvisable to place the tensioner pulley on the back side on the "V"-belt causing a reverse bending belt path?

Yes, I realize this is practiced in desperate circumstances; but still perhaps ill-advised, and therefore curious if S.A.I. would have executed such for a "production" application.
                                                                                                  idea
     When doing such, with"V" belts, recommendations are for the idler pulley diameter to be a minimum of one and one-half times the diameter of the smallest drive or driven pulley and placed near the drive pulley, and also, one would prefer the tensioner pulley's placement always on the "slack" side vs. the load/tension side of the drive belt (but again, I have witnessed other).

Scott.

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »

This belt routing was conceived by me. I take full credit for it, however awful it may be.  

Head knock

There are no drawings or descriptions of the how the original was done, to the best of my knowledge.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:11:42 PM by Coralsnake » Logged

gt350hr

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »

There is no other practical way to mount it. By '68 , the smog pump had to be there regardless of induction type ( California) . So the belt can't go around the water pump like the small blocks did.  NO exemptions were allowed for multiple carburetion OR supercharging as was in the past. Pete's method also improves "belt wrap" and reduces belt slippage , a problem I had when I ran the Paxtons on 6S240 in the 70's. IF the belt failed prematurely due to being flexed the"wrong" way , the engine would still run. Guess how I know?
   Nice work Pete. IMHO one of the reasons this option didn't come to pass was the output volume of the Paxton itself was less than the engine would draw in on it's own. Some of the testing i did was to reduce internal slippage as the boost rose but that was long after this prototype.

Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »

This belt routing was conceived by me. I take full credit for it, however awful it may be.  

Head knock

There are no drawings or descriptions of the how the original was done, to the best of my knowledge.

I kinda like it, it's very Kafkaesque  Hysterical

Chris  Chug a Lug

1968 GT 500   SAAC 42 Concours Gold                     1966 Mustang drop top 4 speed Pony Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" 
PBF

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »

Please understand, that my inquiry was not to be critical of your execution; as being in the performance aftermarket (vs. O.E.M. production) industry we realize all sorts of what might be judged as poor engineering by the "engineers", as being the only way it'll work engineering, like it or not (check-out the belt routeing of the Corvair!).

So, as they say...... "proof is in the pudding", so make it run, prove it works just fine, and then tell anyone who disputes such to "go take a hike" (or something similar).   Party on

Scott.

gt350hr

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »

Kind like a guy that would drive a Sherman  tank to church. Not the "best " way but he got there. Chug a Lug (inside joke to Scott)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!