The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 03:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you GT500 owners using for a replacement clutch ?  (Read 1807 times)
TS69GT500

Email
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

McLeod has discontinued  the Ford 3-finger Long style pressure plates for big block Fords with the 1 3/8 x 10 spline tranny , Ram still has them but for who knows for how long.
My question is are any of you GT500 owners using diaphram clutches with success and which manufacturers components?
McLeod offers a 12in Diaphram kit for the big block Ford  1 /38 x 10 spline tranny.
Does anyone know if it's any good and do you have to remove the clutch pedal assist spring with a diaphram clutch to prevent over-centering the p/p.

Thanks,

TonyS

VTGT500

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:02 AM »

I've run a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the last 25 years.  Previous to that, had used, Ford OEM, Hays, Schiefer, and McCloud.  My side oiler dynoed at 483 HP with dual quads and a 294S cam.  The Dual Friction clutch has performed flawlessly.  No issues when violently accelerating, speed shifting, or creeping into a parallel parking spot.  I have also up graded to a stainless, rod end linkage.  Huge advantage in clutch feel.

427heaven

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

^^^ Great clutches and components, get a Summit catalog and paruse the pages within. You will find what your looking for, very few places sell components for big spline toploaders ,they do! Cheesy

Wood27man

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »

We have a speed shop here in Denver with some very knowledgeable guys behind the counter. Over the years I have always gone with the Centerforce Clutch kits (had them in five cars) but was told there have been some problems recently with Centerforce kits and he recommended going with the McCleod Super Street Pro Kit (part #75234). I have had the McLeod in my '67 GT500 about a year now and I'm 100% happy with it.
     I do not want to talk down the Centerforce clutches at all, as I said I have had great luck with those also for many years. But passing along another option to consider.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/clutch-kits/super-street-pro/super-street-pro-pns-29546.html

Jeff

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:30:26 PM by Wood27man » Logged
Wood27man

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »

VTGT500    Would you pass along information on the stainless clutch linkage you refer to? Where you bought it and which parts of the linkage you replaced? Thanks in advance.
Jeff

VTGT500

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »

Jeff, the linkage is something I machined in an engine lathe.  The pedal to equalizer bar has right & left hand female threads like a turn buckle with jam nuts to lock adjustment.  The equalizer bar to clutch fork has just a single, right hand thread rod end threaded into a length of stainless bar.  Opposite end of bar has a full radius.  I believe 3/8" rod ends were used.  Requires removing the linkage posts on the equalizer bar.  Then drilling to match rod end size.  No more plastic bushings!

lalease

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »

Do these recommendations apply to KR as well? I think my clutch is 11 1/2", am I right?
Thanks, Larry

66 GT350H
68 GT500KR
stickshift

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:35:36 AM »

Jim Cowls, aka, Shelby Parts and Restoration, did a project with Mcleod and is the distributor for them. Is he sold out on them?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!