The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 03:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AO Smith Company today  (Read 846 times)
5S386

« on: September 07, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

For those who know the past history of the AO Smith company and their connection to Shelbys, I have experienced one of their products the last 2 years.

I purchased a 50 gallon AO Smith WATER HEATER two years ago, and, it
was RUSTY and leaking on the bottom edge after that amount of time. The plumber said that he was surprised that it lasted THAT long, because he was getting complaints about AO Smith water heaters for the last 8 years. Replaced just in time to avoid a major mess (and was in front of my 69 Shelby GT350 in my garage).

Gentlemen, please keep an eye on your water heaters! Average life is 5 years for today's sub standard brands. (AO Smith water heaters built in Mexico)

6s1802

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »

Got a AO SMITH H2O heater in my house 8 years now no issues........ Yet

TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »

It's not just A. O. Smith water heaters that are junk these days. I've had 2 go bad in just the last 3 or 4 years, one being a G.E. I wish I had kept the one in my house when I bought it in '78. It was 15 yrs old then and I kept it another 10 yrs or so and replaced it with a new one and have not got over 7 or 8 years out of any since. Sounds a lot like replacement auto parts today that don't last like the originals. Angry

TOB

Rodster-500

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »

For those who know the past history of the AO Smith company and their connection to Shelbys, I have experienced one of their products the last 2 years.

I purchased a 50 gallon AO Smith WATER HEATER two years ago, and, it
was RUSTY and leaking on the bottom edge after that amount of time. The plumber said that he was surprised that it lasted THAT long, because he was getting complaints about AO Smith water heaters for the last 8 years. Replaced just in time to avoid a major mess (and was in front of my 69 Shelby GT350 in my garage).

Gentlemen, please keep an eye on your water heaters! Average life is 5 years for today's sub standard brands. (AO Smith water heaters built in Mexico)

Not just water heaters.  Anyone go shopping for major appliances lately?  We have a local family owned appliance store and they told us up front how short the lifespan is on appliances these days.  Angry

Oh and Maytag is junk and sub standard (or unfortunately today's standard?)  Want quality in a washer and dryer? You have to step up to US made Speed Queen. 

Interesting dilemma, remodeled our kitchen and do we get rid of the older working appliances for some newer junk? 22yr old GE microwave just recently smoked so I guess we'll have no choice.

It took 3 dehumidifiers to get one that seems to work OK.  Just sad....

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »

I now buy the least expensive of what ever I am looking for be it TV, microwave, coffee maker whatever. NOTHING is built to last anymore(thanks Walmart). Don't care where it is made. Also I don't fall for warranty BS. Try claiming something under warranty. "Sorry sir, that is not a defect in manufacturing or workmanship. We consider that normal wear and tear"  or "sure we will replace/fix that for you. Just pay the 50.00 deductible and shipping both ways on you 35.00 product" HA! BS!  I just chuck it away and buy another cheap replacement. I call it the Bic lighter syndrome. When it quits working, chuck it out.

Chris  Chug a Lug

1968 GT 500   SAAC 42 Concours Gold                     1966 Mustang drop top 4 speed Pony Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" 
6s1802

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

God Bless Sears Kenmore

SAAC Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »

God Bless Sears Kenmore

Recently bought all our kitchen appliances at Sears.

No complaints but sad to find out our top of the line Kenmore fridge is a rebadged LG.

+1 on Speed Queen....good American made washers.

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 02:52:06 AM »

Recently bought all our kitchen appliances at Sears.

No complaints but sad to find out our top of the line Kenmore fridge is a rebadged LG.

+1 on Speed Queen....good American made washers.

Isn't Sears going out of business?  20 years ago my Dad used to sell major appliances at Sears.  He would be pretty disappointed with today's standards if he were still alive.

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:09:57 AM »

Isn't Sears going out of business?  20 years ago my Dad used to sell major appliances at Sears.  He would be pretty disappointed with today's standards if he were still alive.

Sears is going out of business in Canada. Wife worked there 35 years and was laid off.

1968 GT 500   SAAC 42 Concours Gold                     1966 Mustang drop top 4 speed Pony Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" 
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:14:03 AM »

I feel like a political discussion can't be far off....

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 06:16:32 AM »

I now buy the least expensive of what ever I am looking for be it TV, microwave, coffee maker whatever. NOTHING is built to last anymore(thanks Walmart).

I call it the Walmart Syndrome since they were the one to start sending most of their business to China. Since then everyone who thought they could compete had to go off shore. The politicians told everyone that we would become a "service society" but since most products are disposable what are we supposed to service? If a lot of jobs don't come back to US how long are Americans going to be able to buy their products? Angry

Recently bought all our kitchen appliances at Sears.No complaints but sad to find out our top of the line Kenmore fridge is a rebadged LG

45 years ago when my wife and I set up house keeping we bought all new Kenmore appliances from Sears (wifes aunt worked there) and she told us they were all built by Whirlpool. Wink

TOB

propayne

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:47 AM »

I believe Smith sold off their hot water heater division some time ago.

Ironically (I'm an XR7-G owner, also modified at Smith) I did some work for A.O. Smith years ago (I'm an illustrator) when they were involved in racing.

- Phillip

* AOsmithBrnRbrArt.jpg (44.1 KB, 457x450 - viewed 33 times.)

BigBlock

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »

Phillip - Do you still have any connections with former AO guys to find a wider picture of the front of the building, G & KR?

SAAC Member

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »

I feel like a political discussion can't be far off....

More than anything, our culture is changing. For most Americans, cheapest is  always best.

propayne

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »

Phillip - Do you still have any connections with former AO guys to find a wider picture of the front of the building, G & KR?

I wish I did!

I was hired to do that work through an advertising agency who had Ferguson Enterprises (the plumbing supply company) as a client and Ferguson brought in A.O. Smith. So I never had any contact with anyone at Smith, I only dealt with people at the advertising agency.

At that time Ferguson was sponsoring the Richard Petty Racing car, so my wife (and biz partner) spent a day with Petty at his shop art directing a photo shoot. She said that Richard Petty was very nice and pleasant to deal with.

One last aside - like many of you I collect lots of associated Ford/Mercury/Shelby/Bud Moore/Dan Gurney/Cougar memorabilia, including lots of original racing programs. That stuff takes up a lot of room of course, which my wife isn't too thrilled with.

Well, when we got that job which included lots of racing related material including logos, programs, adds, flyers, coupon, etc., boy did all my vintage racing stuff come in handy as source material!

One last, last thing - in the interest of full disclosure, I'm getting old and have done a TON of spot illustrations over the years so it is getting hard for me to remember all that I have done - while that cartoon in the A.O. Smith piece I posted looks like my work, Smith may have provided us with that.

Since I had it and it is Smith and it is racing and it has a hot water heater in it, I thought it'd be fun to post here.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:30:49 AM by propayne » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!