The Official SAAC Forum
September 23, 2017, 04:11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Hertz Center cap  (Read 2965 times)
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

You can restore the steering wheel. The plastic used to shrink and crank. I think have at least 3 or possibly 4'old wheels. They were cheap enough that I just used to buy a new one rather than fix the old one

Yeah it's something I need to do Steve,gotta put it on the list. Is it hard to do?
Cheers

6S273
Doug C

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

Where can the plastic on the steering wheel be fix?  Thanks

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »

Here are my original steering wheel center cap, gas cap and 1 wheel center cap. You can see that the gas cap is gold around the snake and the letters GT350. I had never noticed it before but when you can really see it when have them next to each other

* IMG_1058.jpg (81.66 KB, 800x600 - viewed 56 times.)

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »

As Dave (s2ms) mentioned, I believe the gold tint on the gas caps is due to the gas causing this over the years.

At least one steering wheel cap on the market is super nice...almost impossible to distinguish from an original once mounted.

I have never seen a nice or correct repair of an original plastic wood '66 steering wheel. We have two different reproduction steering wheels available. One is very, very nice and close to the original finish. Contact me if you have any questions about it.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
Doug C

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »

I have never seen a nice or correct repair of an original plastic wood '66 steering wheel. We have two different reproduction steering wheels available. One is very, very nice and close to the original finish. Contact me if you have any questions about it.

Please pass on the link.  Thanks and will the original center cap fit?

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
Bob Gaines

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »

Here are my original steering wheel center cap, gas cap and 1 wheel center cap. You can see that the gas cap is gold around the snake and the letters GT350. I had never noticed it before but when you can really see it when have them next to each other
Keep in mind that the gas cap pictured has heavy age patina .That is different then what we are talking about . You have to be careful to be able to distinguish between the heavy age patina  from the gold tinge that we are discussing that appears in the silver ring.I have never noticed the gold ish tinge in the steering wheel cap like I have on the gas cap.But that is just me.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:29:57 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »

Agree Steves has more gold bling then most! Mine isn't as gold, maybe I need to drive it more!!
Here is a shot after I cleaned it up
Cheers

* IMG_1056.jpg (55.86 KB, 640x480 - viewed 42 times.)

6S273
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »

lets do the math, approx 12 MPH for 219,000 miles (that's when i put the repo cap on it) 18250 gallons ago, average fill up is about 13 gallons so about 1403 fill ups, so gas has splashed out approx that many times, So it I take a repo cap and dunk it in gas for once a day for the next almost 4 years it might look the the same
it is really amazing how much i still have to learn about this cars

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
s2ms

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »

You  can also see the gold tint in the Cobra's teeth on OE gas caps.

I agree with Brant on the steering wheel repair, there are places that do it but on all the one's I've seen the repair is noticeable. Probably impossible to duplicate the grain in the repaired section. You can actually do it yourself and get decent results if you have a good core to start with.  All you need is some epoxy and sand paper, match the paint as close as possible, and call it good. It will still be noticeable but will look a lot better than cracks...

Dave   

Dave
6S1757
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »

Steve a repo cap would be dead with that kind of treatment! Yours is gem mate!

6S273
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »

Please pass on the link.  Thanks and will the original center cap fit?

Oh, yes...the original cap will fit with no problem.

I just pulled one of the steering wheels out of the box from the latest batch that we received. It is a really nice piece. I would/have used this wheel on even the highest end '66 restoration. The spokes and plastic woodgrain are really close to the originals. It's difficult to find an original to even compare it to, since most are very worn. I have an NOS one on 6S033 and pictures of original wheels from very low mileage cars. This repro. is a very nice match.

Here is a link:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-SIMULATED-WOODGRAIN-STEERING-WHEEL-COMPLETE-WITH-HORN-RING-SPACER-COLLAR-AND-CONTACT-PLATES-NO-CAP-P3277.aspx

...and a link to a blog post that I wrote:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2016/10/65-66-mustang-woodgrain-steering-wheel.html

-Brant

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »

makes me want a new one bad Cool one
Maybe next month

Bob Gaines

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »

You  can also see the gold tint in the Cobra's teeth on OE gas caps.

I agree with Brant on the steering wheel repair, there are places that do it but on all the one's I've seen the repair is noticeable. Probably impossible to duplicate the grain in the repaired section. You can actually do it yourself and get decent results if you have a good core to start with.  All you need is some epoxy and sand paper, match the paint as close as possible, and call it good. It will still be noticeable but will look a lot better than cracks...

Dave   
Yes the repro wheels are very nice and agree the repaired wheels that some companies and individuals do well don't look as good as the NOS or repro wheels I have seen. Also from people I have talked to it is not un typical for the redone wheels to eventually crack again with minimal use. It is a pretty strong argument to use the repro wheel IMO. I do not have a read on how prone to cracking the repro wheels are.Maybe Brant can share his input?

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
gt350hr

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »

+1 on the re cracking Bob. I had one done here in So Cal by a "top secret" wheel restorer. I was told 6 months ( no problem to me) and $200 for a 1/4" crack repair and complete refinish. Both were spot on and the wheel looked like a day two take off. With in a year , one of the other spokes began to crack and eventually the repaired spoke cracked. During that time a nice uncracked , "survivor" was located and the repaired wheel is now on a daily driver. I picked up a KS a while back and it is close but could be better with a little effort on their part.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

Yes the repro wheels are very nice and agree the repaired wheels that some companies and individuals do well don't look as good as the NOS or repro wheels I have seen. Also from people I have talked to it is not un typical for the redone wheels to eventually crack again with minimal use. It is a pretty strong argument to use the repro wheel IMO. I do not have a read on how prone to cracking the repro wheels are.Maybe Brant can share his input?

So far, I have not had any issues with cracking on the reproduction.

Randy - This new steering wheel that I posted about is much, much nicer than the old KS one. I would definitely use it on a high end restoration. The NOS ones are just so difficult to find. If you do find one, it will be expensive, and I worry about one of those cracking just like the originals.

-Brant

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!